Meier Corda Move details released
Jun 26, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #76 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by alias71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Klemchang, itsborken,
I am waiting for your impressions on the Corda Move before deciding on buying it. Can you share your initial impressions with us?

Well, I have ~90 hours burn-in on the Move now. I listened an hour here or there during the time so the Move is pretty much a new experience to me. My work rig is an iPod 80GB lossless -> silver dragon LOD -> Move or MkIII -> Ultrasone proline 750. Both ran on USB power as the local RatShack was out of 12v regulated PS.

I started off with my standard demo tracks but the amps were close to identical. This is unusual as I normally find some differences with these tracks. Spent the rest of the day poking around various genres (Rock, Reggae, Jazz, Classical, Electronic) A/Bing with the same results. Seeing as I really liked the MkIII clarity and neutrality before, I think that's a good thing.

It wasn't until I got home and hooked up the HD650s (silver dragon too) that I noticed some minor differences. The 650s wider soundstage and more laid back signature help out. Dave Brubeck Time Out "Take Five" was a little sharper/clearer on the MkIII as was David Gilmore David Gilmore "There's No Way out of Here". Not a lot, but noticable, YMMV. I switched to Denon D2000 and the Proline 750s on the same tracks and the amps are pretty much indistinguishable again.

At this point I'm listened out and will dig back in tomorrow when the ears are fresh. I did not try the USB or crossover AB yet; that will come after I get more familiar with the Move's sonics.

Bottom line is the Move is pretty close to an equivalent replacement for the MkIII at this time sound-wise (depending on the HP). The Move's smaller, sturdier aluminum case, easier access to DC power inputs, and a longer battery life are a definite improvement over the MkIII.

Jun 26, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #78 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have ~90 hours burn-in on the Move now. I listened an hour here or there during the time so the Move is pretty much a new experience to me.

Bottom line is the Move is pretty close to an equivalent replacement for the MkIII at this time sound-wise (depending on the HP). The Move's smaller, sturdier aluminum case, easier access to DC power inputs, and a longer battery life are a definite improvement over the MkIII.

Did you notice any specific changes in sound during burn in? I've just received one and tried it with the Senn 650 and 600 and I too find the sound more 'lower end driven' than the PCM III. I powered it with 12V and there seems to be a lot of 'bass slam' in comparison.

The battery compartment fitting is a bit worrying since I had two occasions when the battery wasn't connecting properly and the door wasn't pushing hard enough. However, most use for me will be with a power supply so it isn't an issue.

I'm just curious whether it will change a great deal over the next few weeks and the bass will start to recede so that it becomes more like the PCM III.

I think that the mid range of the PCM III is stunning and gives an amazing amount of clarity and maybe that's where the Move has a more noticeable difference. Less mid-range detail, unless that bass recedes with time and allows more of the mid sound through.

I've only listened for a few hours so far and I feel very positive about its sound; especially since it uses an op amp that we have seen in other amps, but this one seems to have a lot more in the bass area than the others in direct comparison.

Ian

Jun 26, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #79 of 1,165
Anyone with the new Move can comment on how well it drives the MS1? Was looking at a new amp to pair with this headphone. In fact I have one reserved for me but was hoping for more reviews before deciding to take the dive
smily_headphones1.gif
. By the way, I have also set my eyes on the new headphonia amp which looks quite good (features-wise). However both are so new and reviews are far and few between.

Shaun

Jun 26, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #82 of 1,165
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you notice any specific changes in sound during burn in?

The answer is really I can't say. I was finishing off the burn of the D2000s at the same time and most of the burn in was pink noise. When I did listen to music an hour here or there, it was on new cans I wasn't that familiar with. Sorry.

Quote:

The battery compartment fitting is a bit worrying since I had two occasions when the battery wasn't connecting properly and the door wasn't pushing hard enough.

Yeah, I had that issue out of the gate so I 'fixed' it with that aluminum plate they provided. I rarely listen to battery (PS like you eventually or USB).

Quote:

I'm just curious whether it will change a great deal over the next few weeks and the bass will start to recede so that it becomes more like the PCM III.

I didn't notice the bass receding, but from what others have attributed to Jan I don't see the mids tightening up too much either. We'll see in another hundred hours or so.

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #83 of 1,165
I use a Grado SR-125 at work with MOVE, and I can say the sound is quite improved- more airy and better defined than directly from my laptop or Sandisk m230. (Bill Evans- Portrait in Jazz; When Ben Webster meets Oscar Peterson)

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #84 of 1,165
Quote:

It wasn't until I got home and hooked up the HD650s (silver dragon too) that I noticed some minor differences. The 650s wider soundstage and more laid back signature help out. Dave Brubeck Time Out "Take Five" was a little sharper/clearer on the MkIII as was David Gilmore David Gilmore "There's No Way out of Here". Not a lot, but noticable, YMMV. I switched to Denon D2000 and the Proline 750s on the same tracks and the amps are pretty much indistinguishable again.

Itsborken,
thanks for your observations.

I have only a Sennheiser HD 600 and therefore the synergy with this headphone is very important to me. I noted that the Proline and Denon headphones have a low impedance (40 and 25) compared to the Sennheiser (300). Is it possible that you did not use the right power with it?

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #85 of 1,165
Quote:

Itsborken,
thanks for your observations.

I have only a Sennheiser HD 600 and therefore the synergy with this headphone is very important to me. I noted that the Proline and Denon headphones have a low impedance (40 and 25) compared to the Sennheiser (300). Is it possible that you did not use the right power with it?

Anything is possible; part of it could have been trying to concentrate on it at work and being interrupted/irritated that it wasn't going well. I was also doing my best to match the volumes by ear vs. using a SPL and a cardboard rig to set them the same. Little differences in volume can have a big effect on the impact to the ears, brightness, etc.

I did a quick check just now of setting the volumes equal with the senns @ 70dB and replayed the same tunes. There's a little more bass/drum thump on the Move, a little more midrange clarity on the MkIII on the alto sax. So, I don't think I was that far off the mark from what I was hearing. The clarity could just require a little more break in time.

I'm not going to listen during the day and try it again tonight with the other phones.

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #86 of 1,165
Quote:

Anything is possible; part of it could have been trying to concentrate on it at work and being interrupted/irritated that it wasn't going well. I was also doing my best to match the volumes by ear vs. using a SPL and a cardboard rig to set them the same. Little differences in volume can have a big effect on the impact to the ears, brightness, etc.

I did a quick check just now of setting the volumes equal with the senns @ 70dB and replayed the same tunes. There's a little more bass/drum thump on the Move, a little more midrange clarity on the MkIII on the alto sax. So, I don't think I was that far off the mark from what I was hearing. The clarity could just require a little more break in time.

I'm not going to listen during the day and try it again tonight with the other phones.

I was thinking more about USB power vs. battery vs. power supply. I am not an expert, but USB power or battery maybe OK for low impedance headphones and not OK for higher impedance headphones like the HD 650.

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #87 of 1,165
Quote:

I was thinking more about USB power vs. battery vs. power supply. I am not an expert, but USB power or battery maybe OK for low impedance headphones and not OK for higher impedance headphones like the HD 650.

That's certainly true and I was still running off of USB vs battery. I have to turn the pot up to get equivalent output from the HD650s. If I could just get my hands on a regulated 12v quickly...

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #89 of 1,165
Bigger than the Tomahawk and Hornet. A little bigger than amps in a standard hammond case like the GV, Spirit, or XP.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #90 of 1,165
Quote:

That's certainly true and I was still running off of USB vs battery. I have to turn the pot up to get equivalent output from the HD650s. If I could just get my hands on a regulated 12v quickly...

I need to buy that too. Any suggestion on a good regulated 12v power supply to buy in US?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back