Meier Corda MKIII USB Vs Total BitHead...which one is best?
Oct 20, 2006 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Murugesh

100+ Head-Fier
After all analysis I finally settled down with Meier Corda MKIII USB and Total BitHead to improve SQ from my laptop.

Both products have the same capability (USB-->DAC-->Amp). Neglecting the price difference, can anyone (ofcourse who used both) tell me which one has better SQ?

Oct 21, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 7
I think the DACs are similar.

Disregarding price, I would go with the Porta Corda III for two reasons:

a) It provides the option of running off an external power supply which is definitely better than running off the USB power.

b) It has a better volume pot.

For strictly portable use, I might go with the Bithead, just because the battery chargers for NiMH AAAs are so much more convenient than the 9 volt chargers. I have the latest Maha chargers for both types, so that's just me.

Oct 21, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 7
I would be suprised if you find anybody who has compared the two side by side. I bought a PortaCorda (v2 I think, just before the current version with USB came out) It worked well for me after I started using an external power supply instead of batteries. At the time I was using Senn HD650 which really like lots of volts to sound good. USB cannot supply the volts a high impedance can requires, neither can a 9v battery. I'd pick the Meier product just because it has worked well for me in the past. YMMV.
If you are adventerous, I think both companies would allow you allow you a 30 day return period. So You could buy both come back and tell which worked
best for you, and return the looser for the cost of shipping. Please do that, it would benefit lots of people I'm sure.

Oct 25, 2006 at 9:55 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by hwc
I think the DACs are similar.

...For strictly portable use, I might go with the Bithead, just because the battery chargers for NiMH AAAs are so much more convenient than the 9 volt chargers. I have the latest Maha chargers for both types, so that's just me.

You can't use rechargables in Bithead, it won't last. Alkalines only.

Oct 25, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by judestudio
You can't use rechargables in Bithead, it won't last. Alkalines only.

That's funny, I use rechargeable Duracells in my 2006 Total Bithead every day! There is a bit of a dropoff, as I get probably 80% of the life of alkalines, but that's still like 30 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back