Meier Corda HeadFive or Gilmore Lite V2
Aug 29, 2006 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Rob80b

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, which one to tide me over, Meier HeadFive (I’ve reserved one) or the Gilmore Lite V2
Since I sold my Creek OBH-11se Rev B (great synergy with Grado) back in May to help pay for my Bryston BP25P (does not like low impedence cans) my Grado SR325i’s have been collecting dust.

Aug 29, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 12
Between the two I like the Gilmore Lite better for its slightly more transparent and neutral sounding presentation. But the difference is at the "I somewhat prefer..." level, not the "is clearly better than..." level.

Aug 30, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 12
Any other impressions out there, there have been a few but not very conclusive ones from the original HeadFive thread favoring Grado's
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...light=headfive
Both look like nice little amps and reasonable priced.
OpAmp vs discrete
Internal vs external power supply
Orient vs US made
Both are Class A
Warm vs Bright
I like the idea that part of the Meier purchase goes back to Head-Fi but not totally convinced that the HeadFive is a good match for Grado’s.
Just recalling a review by Jan Meier a few years back using the CORDA HA-1
Full review here
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=grado+philips

I guess the differences come down to design theories and implementation.
The problem that I have with the Bryston BP25P, although an excellent pre-amp,
the headphone output puts the Grado’s on the negative side of neutral making them more laid back than my HD580’s if you can believe that also the bass has lost all it’s impact and depth, something the Creek gave them in spades.

Aug 30, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 12
I was somehow born without the Grado-lovin' gene*, so I can't offer useful personal insight as to which amp drives them better.

That said, were you aware that the original impetus for the Gilmore design was to provide sufficient current to drive Grados well? If not, here's the link: http://www.headwize.com/projects/sho...lmore3_prj.htm

[size=xx-small]*Sorry. I can't explain it. I owned HF-1's, listened to RS-1's and PS-1's at meets, and none of them did anything for me. Apparently I'm a freak.[/size]

Aug 30, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 12
i'm currently doing a review of the headfive v Glite V2, with the HD650 and HF-1, should be out in a week or so.

in the mean time, Kitaoji, actually has both and the 325i... you should pm, i think

Aug 30, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
That said, were you aware that the original impetus for the Gilmore design was to provide sufficient current to drive Grados well? If not, here's the link: http://www.headwize.com/projects/sho...lmore3_prj.htm

[size=xx-small]*Sorry. I can't explain it. I owned HF-1's, listened to RS-1's and PS-1's at meets, and none of them did anything for me. Apparently I'm a freak.[/size]

Very aware of the Gilmore design, Meier's approach is very different and I still have my Senn HD580's and AKG K501's to consider.
Took me awhile also to appreciate the Grado's, but my Sr325i's had a wonderfull synergy with my old Creek OBH-11se Rev B (it was also designed with the 325's in mind) it was silly to sell it.

Aug 30, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 12
The Lite has a fairly accurate presentation (from my memory), while the HeadFive tends to be a bit on the warmer side. Just depends on your preferred sound signature. Do keep in mind that the Meier amp comes with his outstanding passive crossfeed circuitry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
i'm currently doing a review of the headfive v Glite V2, with the HD650 and HF-1, should be out in a week or so.

I look forward to hearing your take on things, as I no longer have the Gilmore Lite for a direct comparison.

Aug 30, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob80b
I still have my Senn HD580's and AKG K501's to consider.

FWIW I'm just wild about the K501 with the Gilmore Lite. Terrific synergy which makes this my most-reached-for headphone with this rig. (I haven't tried the K501 through the HeadFive, but perhaps can do that later this week.)

Aug 30, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob80b
Both are Class A

Nope. The Gilmore Lite is a class A design, the Meier HeadFive is a class A/B design. I actually feel that the Lite falls very slightly on the lean side of neutral. Just because it's 'clean' doesn't make it 'accurate'. It's an excellent amp though, and for me it would be a very difficult decision. I think that crossfeed is genuinely important, so between than and a $50 price difference, I'd go for the Meier. I think however that the Gilmore Lite would win in terms of absolute SQ, but that isn't necessary the only thing to consider.

If you don't want to try an amp with crossfeed, then go for the Gilmore.

Aug 31, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 12
I feel the Gilmore is a analytical sounding amp, and while it should work very well with the Grado's in general, it may actually be a bit too microscopic in its nature for the already sensitive 325i which can pick up slight flaws in the treble and blow it out of proportion. The 325i would be best pared with a warmer amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back