Meier Cantate Vs Swing + DAC
Feb 1, 2010 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jbossner

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I cant figure out what would be the best option for me. Firstly I have to say that I have $210 store credit at Headphonic in Aus, so one of my purcheses has to be from there.

I just bought my K702's which really need an amp and a DAC. My budget is $650 Aus. My options are either just getting the Cantate and saving the hassle or getting a Swing and spending the rest of the money on a DAC ($260).

I heard there was not much of a difference between the two, so i thought i would ask which is better. Another thing is what would be the best DAC for a PC, would a DIY DAC like the buffalo be that much better then a good sound card or pre built Dac?

Remember that I want to buy within Australia.

Regards,
James

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 6
DAC in Cantate is PCM2702 so it is "mid" level.

I have never heard Cantate/Cantate.2, but i have Swing and AKG 271 mk II. I was choosing between HeadCanAmp and Swing, Swing with AKG is well matched pair. Synergy? In my opinion, yes.

Cantate.2 have active balanced headphone ground - I do not know anything about how this "sounds".

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 6
The Cantante is usually regarded as the bare minimum amp at Headphonic in regards to driving the K70x. I'd say get the Keces, and a DACMagic. So $260 on the amp and $290 on the Magic, and you're sweet. You better snap up that amo quick because I was thinking of buying it when my DAC arrives >: D

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 6
The Cantate is only a half step up from the swing, the reason it costs almost double is the DAC functionality. Your seller owns the K701's, and the Keces drives them fine. You should PM him about it, as the K701 and are almost exactly the same. I'd say the Keces will do a good job driving the 702's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back