Meier-Audio vs. Little Dot
Oct 29, 2007 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Sulph3r630

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a decent amp to boost my HD595 cans to their full potential, but I'm stuck between these two makers.

I was thinking of getting either the CORDA ARIETTA or something from the Little Dot MK line. I don't really know the difference between Solid State or Tube amplifiers (If someone can explain it
wink.gif
).

If someone can give me some feedback on which one would be better for a simple home setup it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if someone can also point me in the right direction to get more information on amplifier specifications (Like what effect does the cross talk or grounding have on the sound) or DAC's it would really help me out a lot.

Thanks again,
Noob #500,000+

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 25
Yes, I'm quite interested too,
since we are audiophiles on budget... -_-;
I hope someone can compare it to LD MKIV too..

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 25
Me four. I think this is the sweet spot for alot of us folks - $250-350 for a home amp.

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I'm quite interested too,
since we are audiophiles on budget... -_-;
I hope someone can compare it to LD MKIV too..

I would like this two!!!

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 25
For audiophiles on a budget I'd recommend the LDII++ rather than the Mk series for several reasons, chief among which is that the price of LDII++ has steadily declined over the last year and is now a better value than ever, the Mk series in comparison tend to have more bling and cost significantly more without necessarily sounding better. Secondly, the LDII++ has had its bugs worked out over the last year and is a stable version now without any major design problems and should be a reliable amp in the long run.

Going back on topic, the Chinese LD amp will be a better value (bang for buck) than the German Meier-Audio, given the cost of manufacture (both labor and parts) is so much lower for LD than it is for Meier.

As for the solid state versus tube debate I find myself leading towards tubes, the characteristic 'sound' of SS and tubes aside, I find the ability to tube roll (change the sound by trying out different tubes) a clear advantage of tube gear over solid state equipment and tube rolling is something I'm glad that I got into as an audiophile.

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For audiophiles on a budget I'd recommend the LDII++ rather than the Mk series for several reasons, chief among which is that the price of LDII++ has steadily declined over the last year and is now a better value than ever, the Mk series in comparison tend to have more bling and cost significantly more without necessarily sounding better. Secondly, the LDII++ has had its bugs worked out over the last year and is a stable version now without any major design problems and should be a reliable amp in the long run.

Going back on topic, the Chinese LD amp will be a better value (bang for buck) than the German Meier-Audio, given the cost of manufacture (both labor and parts) is so much lower for LD than it is for Meier.

As for the solid state versus tube debate I find myself leading towards tubes, the characteristic 'sound' of SS and tubes aside, I find the ability to tube roll (change the sound by trying out different tubes) a clear advantage of tube gear over solid state equipment and tube rolling is something I'm glad that I got into as an audiophile.

This is a very persuasive argument in favor of the LDII++ over the MKIII. I sort of assumed that the MKIII was worth the money without actually thinking it through. . .

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #11 of 25
from my experiance with both meier amps and little dot and with the 595, it all depends on what sound you want.

what do you feel is missing from your 595? If you can tell us that, then we can help you more

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #12 of 25
I have both the Arietta and the LD2+ (with upgraded tubes), and not surprisingly the Arietta really beats out the LD2+ quite handily. The Arietta has such a nice solid state warmth which makes female vocals so smooth. Plus the active crossover really helps separate different instruments and voices. I actually prefer my HD595s to my "better" proLINE 750s occasionally, especially with vocals. I can't emphasize that enough. Plus the pricepoint of the Arietta is just right to get a nice taste of Meier's house sound. Plus with SS there's no tube warm-up time which really frustrated me sometimes. For 240 USD it's unlikely you'll find a better amp, especially a SS with warmth.

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@The_Duke_Of_Eli
now you made me to lean toward arietta
biggrin.gif

I have no problems recommending this amplifier. You will not be disappointed with solid state. Unless you're really hard-set on tube amps, I got alot of the same warmth with the Arietta, but of course it's really two different sound signatures. Especially for a new user though, the quabbles with amplifiers, like cleaning, maintenance, replacement, warm-up, heat, etc. really need to be weighed. Also meier offers a 30 day money back guarantee, but you won't need that...
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #15 of 25
yep, in the next few days i'm going to audition cantate with some grados, like RS2, RS1 and MSPro, and i'll keep my judgement after that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back