Meier Audio StageDAC vs MHDT Havana DAC
Feb 26, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 7
I heart them both, but only in my speaker based system.
They are complete opposites: the Stagedac is a very detailed sounding DAC with incredible depth and deep dep bass.
In contrast in the Havana soundstage placement is less determined in the depth and lateral plane (speaker based!) but gives a very natural pleasant sound. Bas is also very good, but less defined.
Tha Havana is much warmer, the Stagedac had a leaner more analytical sound.
I loved the way the Stagedac presented electronic music but I prefer the tonal colors of the Havana, expecially on (semi) acoustic music.

I've to add that I'm one of those persons that always had a problem with digital sound, and I could never find an affordable CDP I could enjoy (except the Rega Apollo).
So for me the Havana is perfect, finally digital sound without that annoying digital edge, so that is the one I chose.
But both are very good DACs IMO, and others might have different tastes.
the Havana has the possibility to roll tubes, the Stagedac has some nice extra's for HP-listeners, crossfeed and RCA with and without colume control, plus extra flexibility with all kids of settings (though in my system the differences weren't big, that will probably be different in HP-based systems).

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heart them both, but only in my speaker based system.
They are complete opposites: the Stagedac is a very detailed sounding DAC with incredible depth and deep dep bass.
In contrast in the Havana soundstage placement is less determined in the depth and lateral plane (speaker based!) but gives a very natural pleasant sound. Bas is also very good, but less defined.
Tha Havana is much warmer, the Stagedac had a leaner more analytical sound.
I loved the way the Stagedac presented electronic music but I prefer the tonal colors of the Havana, expecially on (semi) acoustic music.

I've to add that I'm one of those persons that always had a problem with digital sound, and I could never find an affordable CDP I could enjoy (except the Rega Apollo).
So for me the Havana is perfect, finally digital sound without that annoying digital edge, so that is the one I chose.
But both are very good DACs IMO, and others might have different tastes.
the Havana has the possibility to roll tubes, the Stagedac has some nice extra's for HP-listeners, crossfeed and RCA with and without colume control, plus extra flexibility with all kids of settings (though in my system the differences weren't big, that will probably be different in HP-based systems).

Thank you for your detailed response. So I expect that they are very different.

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 7
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but does anyone else mind stating their opinions on these dac's also would there be any others you recommend, I'm currently in between these two.

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 7
anyone?

Oct 22, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 7
Sorry I don't have and have never hear the Havana, but I agree completely with dura about the StageDAC. I would add that in my speaker system it excels at portraying dynamic range, e.g. clearly presenting hushed vocal textures amidst louder accompaniment. That's excellent information retrieval.

As well, the DAC sound tailoring available does make an audible difference, at least between some of the combinations. It includes "more digital" and "more analogue" settings.

I've noticed this less in my headphone rigs, where (ATM) I tend to prefer my Eastern Electric MiniMax Dac, which has an energetic portrayal. This may be merely a matter of different output voltages when paired with my Meier CONCERTO, which needs 4V to be driven to peak power. StageDAC delivers 2V RMS, the EE 2.5V or 3V with tube switched into circuit (RMS or peak not stated but judging by the energy difference it's likely RMS).

Sorry can't answer your exact question. HTH anyway.

Oct 22, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #7 of 7
I maintain the two are complete opposites.
BTW, I sold the Havana long ago; I found the lack of depth and the small sound stage (on a speaker based system, on a headphone system sound stage is different I suspect) getting too dull for my taste. After that I played with the Audio-GD REF5 DSP for over 6 months; better sound stage, but slightly mechanical.
I now have the Rega DAC since February, and my upgraditis hasn't returned since; it has the same full tonal purity of the Havana but a much more dynamic sound and a great sound stage (still can't match the Meier though in sound stage size and depth), without the digital artifacts in the treble I so dislike.
So in this price range, say €600-1000, that is the one I would recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back