Meier Audio return policy
Apr 23, 2008 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

giulio

New Head-Fier
Hi,

has anybody had any experience with Meier Audio return policy? According to their website you can return within 30 days.

Now, I have bought a move2 three weeks ago and after more than 300 hours of burn-in I find it still cannot match my pimeta in sound quality. A pity, because I really like its size and engineering. Hence, I would like to return it. I have already written two emails to Jan but got no reply (contrary to very prompt replies at the time of buying). I was wondering whether this is typical. Of course I would not want the full month to expire.

Many thanks in advance.
Giulio

Apr 23, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 70
I have never returned a Meier product for a refund, but I did have to return one to be repaired once, and Jan was incredibly prompt in answering all emails. I bet he will get back to you. How many days ago did you send the first email?

Apr 23, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 70
As far as I know, you return your 2move by paying for the shipping only. No questions asked, Jan is cool like that...

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Downer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know, you return your 2move by paying for the shipping only. No questions asked, Jan is cool like that...

I bought an Arietta not that long ago, and found it to have a flaw (at least something I couldn't live with) and reported it immediately. The volume cannot be turned off. Even at the "0" setting, there is enough volume that headphones still need to be removed to have a conversation with someone, to know if the phone is ringing, if the baby is crying, etc. I sent the amp back in perfect condition the next business day at my own expense and was still charged a restocking fee. So, although the return was accepted, I did not find anything to be "cool" about it.

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought an Arietta not that long ago, and found it to have a flaw (at least something I couldn't live with) and reported it immediately. The volume cannot be turned off. Even at the "0" setting, there is enough volume that headphones still need to be removed to have a conversation with someone, to know if the phone is ringing, if the baby is crying, etc. I sent the amp back in perfect condition the next business day at my own expense and was still charged a restocking fee. So, although the return was accepted, I did not find anything to be "cool" about it.

I have the same issue with my 2move, i am waiting to see how bad it gets before I start talking to Jan about it.

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 70
Quote:

Nothing bad about a restocking fee.. Prevents people from 'borrowing' items.. & you lose money when you re sell it. I know. I work in retail.

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing bad about a restocking fee.. Prevents people from 'borrowing' items.. & you lose money when you re sell it. I know. I work in retail.

An obvious point, but in my case I found the product to be unacceptable the first time I powered it on, and reported the problem to him. He avoided the technical concern I expressed completely, and went on to complain about how customers abuse the system by "auditioning" equipment and then returning it for a refund, as if to suggest I was doing the same. I was quite offended, to say the least. Some people might find that kind of customer service appealing, but I don't.

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 70
According to the Meier website:

Quote:

return-policy
All products also come with 30-days return-policy. Refund will be complete apart from shipping costs.

If an amplifier is returned in less then perfect condition then you will also be charged with costs for repair.

So one of 2 things happened:

1. He charged you a re-stocking fee he shouldn't have, OR

2. You returned the amp in less than new condition.

If #1, I would complain if I were you. If #2, I'd let the matter drop and not complain, as this is a perfectly fair policy.

FWIW, all Meier amps pass a small amount of signal if they are off, which of course is only an issue if you leave your source on even after turning the amp off, which seems a non-issue to me with a headphone amp, although perhaps there is some application in which this would be undesirable.

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to the Meier website:

So one of 2 things happened:

1. He charged you a re-stocking fee he shouldn't have, OR

2. You returned the amp in less than new condition.

If #1, I would complain if I were you. If #2, I'd let the matter drop and not complain, as this is a perfectly fair policy.

FWIW, all Meier amps pass a small amount of signal if they are off, which of course is only an issue if you leave your source on even after turning the amp off, which seems a non-issue to me with a headphone amp, although perhaps there is some application in which this would be undesirable.

Condition #1 definitely applies, and I did write to complain about the restocking fee. That is why I was so offended to receive the e-mail response (which I will send to you by PM rather than posting publicly) I described previously. To me, it was very clear that the €10 was of more importance to him than the possibility of future business with me.

About the volume control issue, I also noticed what you pointed out - that audio passes through even when the amp is completely powered off. However, the thing I found completely unacceptable was that a SIGNIFICANT amount of volume passes through when the amp is on, and the volume knob is turned all the way down. And this was with relatively high-impedance HD580s. I do have a little baby, and like many other babies, he cries sometimes. If I wanted to be sure I heard him wake up from a nap (and I do want to be sure), for example, I would either have to take the headphones off or switch the amp off and wait several seconds for the signal to drop, at which point it still wouldn't be silent unless I also paused iTunes. With a busy household, this kind of thing is just something I can't deal with. For what it's worth, I find it rather ironic that a device whose primary purpose is to control volume lacks the ability to turn off the volume. No other device I've ever plugged headphones into behaves that way.

I wrote to Jan to explain that the whole unfortunate product return could have been avoided if he simply stated something on his web site to the effect that the volume of the amp cannot be turned off completely. I would certainly not have bothered ordering the amp in that case. Since that information was not available, and (more importantly) I was not able to test the product in a retail store, it doesn't make sense that I should lose approximately €25 (return shipping plus restocking fee) just to find out that the product is unacceptable.

I do not see it as my job to pay the price for customers who want to abuse the system. Jan had all the information at hand when making this decision, and still chose to keep some of my hard-earned money. I think it was extremely narrow-sighted of him to handle the situation this way, and hope that the OP doesn't experience the same kind of service I did.

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #11 of 70
I found it, but Jan needs to make his website more clear, for sure. It's under FAQ's:

Quote:

What is the return policy?
By German law there is a 30-day return policy on all products. However, there is an administration fee, and the customer is responsible for return shipping.

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 70
Quote:

I had a similar experience; I returned my Porta Corda and I wasn't charged a restocking fee, only shipping charges.

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #13 of 70
Update. Jan kindly got back to me. Provided the amp is in as-new conditions he is charging me just shipping, which I find more than fair.

Thank you all for the input.
Giulio

Apr 24, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #14 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by giulio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update. Jan kindly got back to me. Provided the amp is in as-new conditions he is charging me just shipping, which I find more than fair.

Well, good for you. When I arranged for my return, he mentioned nothing about charging a restocking fee, and I was left to find out about the missing €10 by checking my bank account for new deposits. He just silently short-changed me on my refund.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back