Meier Audio Porta Corda MkII Followup!
Jan 3, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #16 of 242
Powering her up now...gonna call her [size=small] "Honey Bunny"[/size]

OK - Plugged in a Sony D-25 and the Alessandro MS2 and it sounds good. But it is not quite SR-71 good and is lacking in bass and basically the MS2's sound underpowered...like they are not managing full extension before attacking the next note...

Is this class-A operation by default?
confused.gif
Sure doesnt sound good enough to be class-A...From memory - Stevio had a PCMKII at the Florida meet which fared very well in comparison with the SR-71 by RSA. This doesnt sound like the amp I heard there at all...

Not disappointed at all - trashes my self built MINT [this was later noted to be a JMT built CHA-47 in a mint tin] - but is quite easily bested by the SR-71...

Any ideas?
confused.gif

[EDIT]
Just read a PM from a fellow member. Apparently these have to be modded into Class-A...gonna figure out how to do this and well...mod it
tongue.gif

Also have to factor in that this is brand new and needs to be broken in for some time before it can reach its optimal performance.

Too much too soon I guess...

Advantages over SR-71 - lighter, thinner, soft edges without compromising build quality. Also has a belt clip...
[/EDIT]

Jan 3, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #17 of 242
The PCMKII has a tendency to BLOOM the sound giving it a slight warmth over the SR-71. The PCMKII also has more overall bass as a result of this warmth but this is not "true" bass...its like it is always there...

The SR-71 has more powerful impact and depth to the bass...

What does this mean?

Nothing - the PCMKII is brand new - the SR-71 has been used almost everyday for the last 2 months and is at least 200 hours old. Also - the cable and source are far from high end. The idea was to compare the two on a portable setup...therefore the Sony D-25 vintage PCDP. The IC's are Meier Oehlbach Mini-Mini.

One thing is that the PCMKII has more gain than the stock SR-71. The quality of jacks used in the SR-71 is better than the PCMKII and the volume pot/knob has a better feel in the SR-71.

But sonically - I will now wait for a month before posting conclusive reports. I like the sound and this is $145.00 well spent...no way you can get an SR-71 for $150.00 and even at this "unfair" stage - you will find that you can live with both.

As an additional bit of info - I would like to say that my MINT amplifier is right up there
confused.gif
It cost me $50.00 to put my Mint together but HOLY GOD this amp has more spunk than the PCMKII and the SR-71. Note that I am VERY objective about these observations and have no attachments to any of these amps. The MINT had to be dug out of retirement from under a box full of clothes
rolleyes.gif

I dunno...definite improvements in overall separation/resolution and a less congested sound with the SR-71 and PCMKII but is it really worth it??

Mind you - headphones = HD-650
eek.gif

If anyone has any doubts about this - I will be happy to send them all three amps for them to check out. Established Headfiers will have first dibs.

Jan 3, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #18 of 242
Just checked my mail a few minutes ago: no love in the mailbox. I'll try again tomorrow. I'm about to order the PS and am eyeing some AKG 501's to go with everything, since I don't have any other high-end dynamic cans.

I hate this place
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 3, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #19 of 242
The PCII sounded warm to me when I first heard it, and to be honest I preferred the headphone out of my Sony PCDP. Now I'm not so sure; it is all very subtle.

Another thing, I really can't tell the difference between Class A and Class AB with just a 9V battery. However, It may all sound different with 24 volts.

Do you notice any hiss in the left and right channels at high volumes (no music playing)? I presume this is expected behaviour with this amp.

Jan 3, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #20 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by hassy500
Just checked my mail a few minutes ago: no love in the mailbox. I'll try again tomorrow.

You don't know longing, amigo... being in Kalifornia, my Corda won't be here for a couple of days, I don't get the Senn 650's until Friday, and I just sent my Grado 225's off to Headphile for a woody+recable
blink.gif

I might have to actually listen to **shudder** SPEAKERS for a couple of days
confused.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #22 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by gimmieshelter31
gsferrari,

the PC MKll is not class A by default . There are four jumpers on the pcb. Push down the first two for Class A . The third one is for the LED and the fourth is for nothing. Hope this helps.

Thanks...doing this now
very_evil_smiley.gif

I will also turn off that blasted LED
tongue.gif
LOL More battery life
k1000smile.gif
Yeah right!

Jan 4, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #23 of 242
Yeah, no porta corda for me in NYC today -- hopefully manana. Thanks gsferrari for the ongoing review...

- walkman666

Jan 4, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #24 of 242
Quick question folks:

I see lots of good reviews/quotes about the PC II here. I'm a NooB who'll use it with a 4G Ipod and some MD-33's at the gym (and everywhere else I can).

Is this amp really high enough quality to pair with some high-end phones like the HD 650's and 'cabled 225's? I'm sure I'll love the amp, but is it intelligent to purchase some new/used AKG 501's for use with the amp and lossless apple files?

Jan 4, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #25 of 242
Wowww, got the amp on the mail just now.

It is smaller that I thought it would be which is good for portability.
Is there a power supply out there that comes with the mini connector for the amp?

I do not have the tool to modify a power supply and use the connector that comes with the amp.

BTW, thanks to Jude and Jan for all the helps!

Jan 4, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #26 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckatil
I do not have the tool to modify a power supply and use the connector that comes with the amp

Anybody with the time will be willing to build one for you if you send them the connector. I would do it but I cannot at this point of time because I am travelling a lot the next 2 weeks
frown.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #27 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by hassy500
Quick question folks:

I see lots of good reviews/quotes about the PC II here. I'm a NooB who'll use it with a 4G Ipod and some MD-33's at the gym (and everywhere else I can).

Is this amp really high enough quality to pair with some high-end phones like the HD 650's and 'cabled 225's? I'm sure I'll love the amp, but is it intelligent to purchase some new/used AKG 501's for use with the amp and lossless apple files?

I can't comment on the amp b/c I haven't heard it though I don't think anything that Jan Meier builds is less than excellent for the price.

As for wearing headphones to the gym, please tell me you're not going to wear 650s. They're great for home use, but you'll be squeezing out sweat from the earcups and they'll end up being stinky in no time.
wink.gif

I'll be using Etys for those really sweaty moments on the treadmill.
biggrin.gif

I don't think the higher-end headphones are a waste on an iPod. I use lossless on my iPod and my 650s arent going anywhere, but I had the 650s already. I would say you might not want to spend the big bucks on 650s and go for the 501s or a lower-end-but-still-really-good Sennheiser phone.

Jan 4, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #28 of 242
Can't wait to get mine....will compare to the PIMETA when I get it (group 2, so it will be a while). Also waiting on a pair of AKG 501s, which are in route...
Man this place...

Jan 4, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #29 of 242
Nah, I was referring to BRBJackson's post which made mention of 650's and modded 225's. The MD 33's will be used for portable applications, while I have no home use dynamic cans (have a small Stax rig) with which to truly put the amp through its paces.

Searches here dictate the 501's use for jazz and classical (read detail) is great, but they may be bass-shy. Just wanted to make sure these cans would be an intelligent fit for this amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back