Meier Audio Porta Corda MkII Followup!
Jan 5, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #61 of 242
I picked up mine from the postal office this morning. I was surprised on how small this thing is. It is only slightly larger than my iRiver H320. I'm currently using it in the office with my Shure E3. I can definitely hear the overall improvement in SQ. Most importantly, I can finally listen to my music without that annoying background hiss from the H320 headphone out!! I can't wait to try it on my SR225 and HD600 when I get home tonight. I have never owned a headphone amp before. Heck, I have never heard of such a thing until I stumble into headfi a few weeks ago. Yeah, my wallet is already breeding
very_evil_smiley.gif

One small problem with the amp though. The two wires at the bottom of the battery compartment are getting in the way of the battery. I can't push the battery all the way down to have the door closed. Does anyone else have this problem?

Jan 5, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #62 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainGoat
One small problem with the amp though. The two wires at the bottom of the battery compartment are getting in the way of the battery. I can't push the battery all the way down to have the door closed. Does anyone else have this problem?

I just got mine this morning and had the exact same problem. I eventually got it to lay flat in there just by playing with it a bit. The +/- prongs seem to loosen up a bit as you play with it and, although it isn't the best fit I've seen for a 9 volt battery, it definitely stays put after you get it in and put the cover back on.

Jan 5, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #63 of 242
I think it's a fairly tight fit and eventualy after some fiddling it snaps into place correctly. I thought that there was a problem at first until I sussed the proper fit, you need to push the battery in very firmly. It won't make the cover bulge if fitted correctly.

Jan 5, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #66 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainGoat
my wallet is already breeding
very_evil_smiley.gif

you meant bleeding, right? 'cause if purchasing the porta corda makes it breed (or at least makes the money reproduce) it's going to be a very good year.

Jan 5, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #68 of 242
I don't know how much longer I can keep this up!
Every time the door knocks I jump to my feet with eager anticipation.
I'm gonna sit in the corner and cozy up with some Johnny cash now.
Just gonna play it
cool.gif

Jan 5, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #69 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by DCnphones
Dear Jan and Jude,

tongue.gif

More in about an minute.

killingme.gif

Jan 6, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #70 of 242
Holy cow, nice suprise when I got home... it's HERE!! Man is this amp small... it actually makes my Airhead seem bulky in comparison. Gonna burn it in over the next few days, and will (like 50 other people, likely) be posting some listening impressions. I'll try to focus on how it compares to the Airhead for portable use.

Jan 6, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #71 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
Wow! you mean this thing gets even better?

Yup, to my ears it did.
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jan 6, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #73 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by AboveBeyond
It finally came!!
orphsmile.gif
orphsmile.gif

BUt now I"m having troubling replacing my powersupply plug with the one supplied.
eek.gif

How do I find which side on a DC power cable is negative/positive?

Does one part of the wire have a white stripe down it? If so, then White should be positive and black is negative.

Jan 6, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #74 of 242
Got mine this morning (mid-town Manhattan). Popped in a Lithium 9V and started up at work via G5 2x1.8GHz tower (Apple Lossless and AAC files) > Sonica USB (Lan-mod Blackgates) > Zu Pivot .5m > PCMkII/Portaphile > AKG K501. Both the PCMkII and Portaphile (with dual 8620 opamp) have no burn-in.

Quick, cursory thoughts at zero-burn-in time: PCMkII sounds very nice but at this point in the burnin startup process, Portaphile sounds more robust, deeper, smoother and less harsh at the top. Burn-in curve should be very interesting. Will try class-A setting later today. Tried crossfeed and the sound seems to lose a bit of air with crossfeed on.

Got an ELPAC 24V WM080-1950-760 PS but have no time to deal with that issue. Anyone try to create an adapter from ELPAC plug to Corda plug?

Fun Begun
k1000smile.gif

Jan 6, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #75 of 242
OMG.
I got a defective power supply! I was wondering why the amp wasn't turning on and use a voltage meter to see if anything was coming up. Nothing! Its dead.
OMG

Romanee: where did you buy your Elpac?

LFF: I need your help! DId you get an Elpac? I was wondering if you pick one up for me. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back