Meier-Audio Cantate + DacMagic = better SQ (upgraded) ??
Jun 13, 2009 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kenta

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am an owner of Meier-Audio Cantate. I use it as USB DAC mainly with my laptop with a Sennheiser HD650 pluged into it. I am quite satisfied with the sound quality. However, since I notice a lot of positive reviews of new Cambridge Audio DacMagic. I am thinking of getting one.

The main reason is the hope of bettering the SQ of the conventional USB DAC in Cantate. I considered Trends Audio TA-10.1 at first but since it does not extra the hardware spec (to my eye), I droped the idea. Also noticed in Meier-Audio website, there is a new DAC coming which looks interesting and similar to DacMagic but plus the crossfeed.

Any comment would be welcomed ... and thanks in advance
beyersmile.png

Kenta

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 6
I own a Cantate .2 and use it with both an HD600 and a K702. Yes, there are better DAC's, but overall I am quite pleased using the Cantate's DAC out of my Toshiba laptop as one of my setups. All my music is FLAC and perhaps that makes a difference. I am not sure a separate DAC will result in a decided SQ difference though. The new Meier DAC scheduled for August release looks great and that may be the ticket.

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by tattoou2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own a Cantate .2 and use it with both an HD600 and a K702. Yes, there are better DAC's, but overall I am quite pleased using the Cantate's DAC out of my Toshiba laptop as one of my setups. All my music is FLAC and perhaps that makes a difference. I am not sure a separate DAC will result in a decided SQ difference though. The new Meier DAC scheduled for August release looks great and that may be the ticket.

I also listen to almost only FLAC. The new DAC from Jan Meier looks really interesting in my opinion. But the concept of having crossfeed built-in in a DAC is quite strange. Maybe it has a capability of normal DAC and pre-amp.

If a new DAC from Jan Meier synergy with Cantate and yield the SQ closer to his Symphony, I would consider getting one. But of course if the price is not stay away from DacMagic.

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 6
Cantate + DacMagic; that is my current set-up.
I had compared both DAC parts that DACMagic is much better than the Cantate especially it's smooth and natural sound. Use cantate as a pure amplifier (RCA-input) also get a better sound than as a DAC plus AMP.
It will be a big step up if you get a DACMagic and go to put to the best use of cantate.
(The sound comes from this combo is really details with good density, slightly warm and natural)
Of course, you can wait the new DAC release from Jan Meier first.

Jul 2, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #6 of 6
This might not be a fair comparison, but I hooked my DacMagic up to my Compass (in Super mode) and I thought the sound was much better than the Compass being used as a DAC/Amp combo, and I LOVE the sound out of the Compass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back