Meier 2Move Review, Thanks Skylab!
Dec 26, 2009 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kboe

Headphoneus Supremus
Every story has a beginning and heres how mine started. As some of you know, every now and then our very own Skylab post offers of free gear to some lucky person who stumbles upon the post first. Here is what I found one day.

“I am giving away a review sample of the Meier Audio 2Move headphone amp:

This offer is subject to the following rules:

1. You must live in the USA. Sorry, but international shipping is too much of a hassle.

2. You agree to pay $5 for shipping, via paypal.

3. You agree that you will write, and post on head-fi, a review of no less than 1500 words.

4. You agree that you will not re-sell this item - ever. If you want to rid yourself of it at some point, you need to "pass it on" in the same way I have.

The first person to post "I have read and agree to these rules" wins.”

So I posted the required clause and nearly wet myself like a school girl. A free portable amp that should far outclass my HeadRoom TotalAirhead, whats not to like. I paid the shipping and waited. A few days later and a small box was delivered to my doorstep. Let the fun times begin! Good luck Airhead.

DSC_0223.jpg

BUILD:
First up is looks. The 2Move is a smallish amp, but no where as near as small as some of the latest offerings from RSA, ALO, or Headamp. It is however slightly shorter and narrower than my Airhead. The all aluminum chassis is sleek and smooth. The face plates are slightly recessed with only one switch, volume nob and the usual input and output jacks. The back of the amp has a USB input to use with your computer.

The switch on the front is for the Meier crossfeed filter, more on this later. The volume nob contains the on and off switch which is activated from your turning the nob to the right, turn the volume nob all the way back to the left and the amp turns off. A small, pleasantly lit red LED lets you know the amp is on. I say pleasant because I find LEDs to be rather annoying unless they are dim and not so bright as to attract attention to themselves. The 2moves red LED gets this just right. My one quirk would have to be the location of the crossfeed filter switch. Its placement between the input and output jacks make it slightly problematic to use when on the go. This is no big problem for me as I usually leave it off, save a few recordings.

USE:
Well, let me just say that why some people think portable fidelity is a joke or not worth the bother confounds me. I simply place the amp and iPod together using ALOs new rubber straps. And yes I know this may constitute heresy as I don’t own a Rx yet. Place this all in a Headroom travel bag and I’m good to go. I use this amp working the first few hours at my job. I start working 2 hours before we open for business so no customers to bother me. Combined with my iPod as a source, (lossless) and ESW9s as my choice for cans, this is a marriage of incredible synergy and keeps me going in those wee early hours. I had been using a ALO SXC LOD but it was one foot long and this made its use rather impractical for portable applications. Just yesterday I received the Bling Bling dock and this is a much better cable for this use. Not to mention that it sounds amazing for what you pay.

SOUND:
So how exactly does this combo sound. Lush, detailed, extended, and involving are the first few descriptors to come to mind. Using my “Test CD”, (just some tracks I like in a playlist) I was blown away at how good this amp handles all sorts of music.

173094.jpg

The first song is from the movie The Village. “Those We Don’t Speak Of” contains some amazing percussion work and a string section that gives me goose bumps every time. The impact, and yes I mean impact of the bass is astounding. I hear this same level of detail and impact from my home rig, which is why I was so pleased to hear it on the go. The 2Move doesn't allow the bass to flop all over the place. Its very controlled and focused, never once distracting me from the beautiful midrange string work happening. The ESW9s know exactly how to behave when the Meier is in charge. So no bass bloat is introduced in the 2Move, a big plus for me. Those strings I was talking about is where I hear how elegant this amp can be. Smooth with loads of micro dynamics, all in a single violin. Its hard to imagine this is a recording played back through such a small amp.

753088201622_185.jpg

The fifth song on my playlist is “Big Bad Girl” form Louisiana Country Boy, with singer Harry Hypolite. This is the 16bit version so that it works on my iPod. I normally don’t go for this style of music, (blues) but there is something about his voice that removes all the barriers I have and disarms me. The amp does an amazing job with vocal texture. I don’t just hear his voice, but also hear or feel the dampness of his throat and the movement of his lips. All the little intricacies of his performance are fully realized with the 2Move. The other performers in the ensemble are clearly spaced out with their own air to “breath” and for their sound to develop. Good stuff!

M055A.jpg

Track number 8 on my Test CD is “One More Year” on the CD Music Journal from M.A. Recordings. The one thing I always love to hear, the one thing that moves me in music like no other is the tonality and texture of an instrument or singer. If you don’t know what I am writing about, do yourself a favor and order any of M.A.s CDs and get ready for a brave new world of tonal warmth, color and texture. This is one of those songs that make your arms, toes and hands clench up in that good sorta way. The Meier delivers all the details of this performance in such a believable way. Again, micro dynamics within all the separate instruments flow and ebb so naturally. The 2Move simply preserves them for me to hear. This I believe is the job of any amp and the Meier does this wonderfully and effortlessly.

CROSSFEED:
I have an Airhead so I am familiar with the idea behind it. The Airheads crossfeed is more subtle. The 2Move is more noticeable and pleasant in most respects. I still don’t think its a requirement for good reproduction on headphones, but then again soundstage has never been important to me.

DAC:
The 2Move has a built in DAC section that uses a mini USB input. Using a six inch USB cable the improvement from the iPod, even with a LOD, is encouraging. Tonality is cleaner and more faithful, with a greater sense of space and a blacker background than my iPod.

DSC_0227.jpg

GENERALITIES:

Does portable audio get better than the 2Move? I am sure it does. The new offerings from ALO, RSA and Headamp are the next generation in portable performance. But what amazed me about the Meier 2Move was its price to performance, $275.00 or so when new, its build quality, and its ability to simply let my music shine through with no added nasties. While some listeners may prefer a colored sound in an amp or a particular sounding tube, to me the best amps will have no sound of their own. They should simply control the drivers of the headphone in as transparent a way possible to faithfully reproduce the recording. Now, I know I like a slightly musical versus analytical performance, but the only device I like to introduce its own characteristics are the headphones themselves. This I believe keeps most of the integrity of the signal intact for reproduction. And in this the Meier 2Move does very well. Even though I undoubtedly get better sonics out of my Amphora, this little chunk of aluminum does its job beautifully. I guess that what I am saying is that I don’t miss my Amphora when using the 2Move. I do indeed believe its that good. Would I trade in my Amphora, no way, no how, but I am happy with the 2Move and never find myself wishing I was listening to something better. I am satisfied with its qualities, or there lack of, and that, satisfaction, is perhaps is the biggest compliment of all when it comes to our hobby.

I would like to thank Skylab for this opportunity to write this review, its harder than you may think. We as a community value your presence highly Skylab. Thanks.

Jan 9, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 15
Hi Kevin - sorry I am late seeing this. Nice job! I really appreciate your living up to your end of the bargain
biggrin.gif
Well done.

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 15
Kevin,

Could you do a quick rundown on how the 2move compares to your Airhead?

I own an Total Bithead now, but I want to upgrade. I'm assuming the Move is a real upgrade, but by how much?

I'm interested to know how they compare/contrast.

Thanks.

Jan 14, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 15
This is a really great review. Well done!

Jan 14, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 15
I agree, nice review, sorry I missed it. Also, Skylab is exceptional for passing this on to another reviewer when he could hold onto it for comparisons in future reviews.

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kevin,

Could you do a quick rundown on how the 2move compares to your Airhead?

I own an Total Bithead now, but I want to upgrade. I'm assuming the Move is a real upgrade, but by how much?

I'm interested to know how they compare/contrast.

Thanks.

Absolutely! Everything about the 2Move is "better" than the Airhead. Though you have the Bithead, the Airhead shares the same amp section. If all I ever had was the Airhead, (and it was all I had for a month or so) I would do just fine. Even with full size headphones like the 650s, when I had them, sounded awesome with the Airhead. Sure I knew it got better, much better, but the playback was good enough I almost didn't care... ...almost! The only thing I thought I liked better on the Airhead was the HeadRoom crossfeed compared to the Meier crossfeed. The Headroom crossfeed sounded more natural and drew less attention to itself in the way it effected the sound. The Meier just mucks things up to much for my liking.
But other than the crossfeed the 2Move is a far better amp. Its dimensions are a little smaller, its built much better, (Aluminum vs. Plastic) and it sounds more three dimensional.
So if you can afford the asking price for one, Id say go for it. I use this thing as my desktop amp as well using the USB DAC and it sounds spooky good. The 2Move is also a much more transparent amp in my opinion. It sounds remarkably non-existent, for its price. That is, I feel it gets out of the way of the signal, only pushing it forward, rather than morphing or changing that signal. The Airhead on the other hand, as well as the other HeadRoom gear I had in the past, tend to butter things up, or have a warmer tone. If you like this "HeadRoom sound" as I did at first, you owe it to yourself to try something more revealing or transparent to see what you really prefer. Hope that helps!
beerchug.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 15
Well done...nice review!!

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #14 of 15
redface.gif
Less than 1500 words of actual reviewing, about 1258 or so in fact. Bad kboe *shakes head*. Hahaha. Nice review and a good looking setup, especially the AT's
wink.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by punkaroo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a really great review. Well done!

I was going to write the same thing. And I would like to add that Skylab could not have found a better recipient. Your explanations and music review are just what Skylab was looking for I bet.

B
atsmile.gif

PS I have been looking at lots of reviews of the Move as it maybe what I come home from Chicago with. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back