Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction MFSL
Jan 24, 2008 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jilgiljongiljing

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone know how good this release is? Is this from the original recordings or the "remixed n remastered" release?

And also if you have heard it or have it, please comment on the SQ, I wanna know if its worth it

Thanks

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 14
Without being able to compare to other releases (owned it years ago when it first came out), I can tell you this version is outstanding even without a frame of reference. This is a loud recording (it's Metal, afterall), but the bass and drums have great slam, the guitars have excellent tone and Mustaine's vocals in particular are reason alone to get this version. If you get it, listen to Sweating Bullets and Symphony of Destruction for great examples.

This is very well balanced, keeping in mind once again tha the "balance" I speak of is in the context of an all-loud-all-the-time Metal band, but all of the instruments are mixed perfectly in proportion to one another. Also of particular note, the studio space and acoustics really stand out here.

Considering you should be able to find it new for a decent price (If I remember correctly, I spent $22 for it at, of all places, an HMV), it's really a no brainer. This is an extremely satisfying presentation of one of the major icons of late '80s/early '90s Heavy Metal.

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 14
udcd765large.jpg

That's the version I'm referring to, to be more clear. IMO, it's not good for a Metal album, it's outstanding. To retain such clarity without sacrificing the bite and agression of the songs is quite a feat, I would think!

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #6 of 14
Enjoy it fella - if this album holds a place in your blackened metal heart like it does for me, you're in for a real treat. I forgot how much I want to freak out when listening to High Speed Dirt.

Jan 25, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 14
Of the very few metal albums that i have this ones just right up there ....good thing that Dave mustaine was shown the door by metallica .I prefer this album over metallicas BLACK album, very unfortunate that it didnt have the same commercial success as black album(released along same period as CDTE).Marty friedmann guitar work is much better then kirks in Black Album .As far as drumming goes i dont have to say much.I consider this one best from Mega deth along with RUST IN PEACE....what a pity we dont get such kind of albums(read music)any more.

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #9 of 14
I have the remixed and remastered release. For all of the reduxes, it seems that the vocals have been given more prominence, which is distracting at first if you're used to the original mixes.

However with added clarity for the instrumentation, I kind of accepted that and now enjoy them for what they are.

I've not heard the MFSL edition, but suspect it was done before the recent reduxes. At a guess I'd say they both sound good....just different mixes. Since I have the remastered version, I don't have a desire to get the MFSL, which I'd say is the one to go for if you want to retain the original mix.

Apr 7, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for bringing this album up; now I'm off to listen to it again on my RS-2!
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #12 of 14
Honestly, I think it sounds totally kick ass. Its mixed louder than most MFSL discs I have heard, but everything is clean and I am loving the decay on each drum hit, the cymbals fade out all the way to the end. Its still crunchy and metal sounding, they didnt smoothen it out and make it sound weak. Totally worth it IMO!

Apr 7, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've not heard the MFSL edition, but suspect it was done before the recent reduxes. At a guess I'd say they both sound good....just different mixes. Since I have the remastered version, I don't have a desire to get the MFSL, which I'd say is the one to go for if you want to retain the original mix.

I've gotta say, if the recent remixed and remastered version of Rust in Peace is any indication, I'm going to go ahead and fully disagree. It's not that it sounds bad, just that it's (yet) another example of hot, clipping, general badness. You don't need to blow out the recording to sound "metal".

Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I think it sounds totally kick ass. Its mixed louder than most MFSL discs I have heard, but everything is clean and I am loving the decay on each drum hit, the cymbals fade out all the way to the end. Its still crunchy and metal sounding, they didnt smoothen it out and make it sound weak. Totally worth it IMO!

Yep, case-in-point right here. It's a loud, crushing record as it should be, but it DOESN'T CLIP and, of course, benefits from the incredible resolution Mofi is so good at retrieving. Glad you're enjoying it fella!

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've gotta say, if the recent remixed and remastered version of Rust in Peace is any indication, I'm going to go ahead and fully disagree. It's not that it sounds bad, just that it's (yet) another example of hot, clipping, general badness. You don't need to blow out the recording to sound "metal".

Thanks. Truth be told, I've only heard the Megadeth remixes on speakers, not headphones, and then while I was in the next room. I'll plan to do some critical listening to see if I can pick up the clipping (which I hate) and indications of artificial bombast.

Edit: I heard Rust in Peace remixed this morning using the SR-325s. I didn't hear any obvious examples of clipping. The solos were strident, and the vox are too loud (as mentioned). But otherwise it was quite enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back