MegaBass DAP?
Aug 17, 2005 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sumguy_

100+ Head-Fier
Im thinking this is the wrong forum for this question... but here goes:

My friend wants a multi-GB dap. He listened to my brother's iPod mini and he didnt like the sound (lack of bass). He listened to my Zen and there was still not enough bass, equalisers included.

I currently listens to a CD player, Panasonic-something (similar to my SL-CT500) with "S-XBS."

His headphones: Cheap sony buds, Senn HD497 (previously were mine).

Is there any current dap which can emulate "S-XBS"? Im thinking Sony NW-HD5 or iRiver H10... you guys have any suggestions?

Aug 17, 2005 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
Did he try a more bassy set of earbuds? sometimes the earphones can make more of a difference than the player.

Seconded. If you want obscene bass, pick Koss PortaPros, or some KSCs (better sound overall, bass less bloated). My Apple In Ears (note: These are not the standard iPod buds) have plenty of bass with an iPod too. They can be a bit harsh on the top end, but they are good fun with bassy music, and no need for EQ or anything. Some people cannot get them to fit right for some reason though.

Aug 17, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumguy_
His headphones: Cheap sony buds, Senn HD497 (previously were mine).

Like above suggestions, he needs to upgrade the phones. Better bass headphones can also respond better to EQing, allowing even more bass.

I'd recommend that your friend get EX51s or EX71s from Sony. Globs of bass there.

Aug 17, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 9
Being a basshead myself, I've gone through lots of different DAP's and found the iRiver (iHP and Hxx series) to have the best bass boost. While having good 'phones is undoubtedly important to my ears the iRiver players just give a much more satisfying bass than iPods, anything from Archos, Creative, RCA, Sony or half a dozen others that I've tried so far.

I am using Etymotic ER4p and Sennheiser HD580 to audition the players and so far the iRiver sound is the best to my bass-starved ears.

Aug 18, 2005 at 8:13 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Like above suggestions, he needs to upgrade the phones. Better bass headphones can also respond better to EQing, allowing even more bass.

I'd recommend that your friend get EX51s or EX71s from Sony. Globs of bass there.

Im not sure that this will be an option... as far as he knows the Senn's are the best headphones, like, ever
wink.gif

I know a guy at school with an H20, well see how that goes... thank for the suggestions.

Im surprised about Bangraman's comments on the Sony... I was under the wrong impression I suppose...

Aug 18, 2005 at 11:21 AM Post #8 of 9
If anyone has free time, could they please make a more detailed comparison of the bass boost between the Sony and the iRivers? I doubt many people have both, but I figured Id ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back