mega tight budget turntable setup?
Mar 8, 2006 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

quoteunquote

100+ Head-Fier
i have tons of records..my old player was a POS that quit working on me. i'm dying to spin these babies! my question is..how can i get a setup and spend the least amount of money possible? can someone help me dig around on ebay? point me in the right direction? i'm talking less than $200 and that's even a lot these days.

i could buy one of those portable turntables at guitar center w/the built in speakers, but i have a sneaking suspicion they sound like garbage. any ideas?

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 11
Whether you can pull it in under $200 depends on how good a deal you get on the turntable. You are going to want to look for a good used transcription turntable from the 70s... Dual, Technics, etc. You should be able to get one for around $100. Don't get a changer that stacks up multiple records. Odds are, the turntable has been sitting for years, so the cartridge has gone stiff. So you'll need to get a new one (approx. $50). Then you need a phono preamp (another $50 or so). You can get those at www.garage-a-records.com

Check out ebay listings for sales near you. (It's always better to pick up a turntable rather than ship it- most ebay sellers don't know how to pack them to prevent damage in the mail). Also check garage sales and junk stores. If you find a turntable, plug it in and make it turn. It should turn freely with no squeak.

I would recommend holding out and getting a better quality table, rather than grabbing the first cheap one that comes your way. Bad turntables are record shavers. You'll end up paying in destroyed records.

See ya
Steve

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 11
For a decent basic setup on a tight budget, I'd consider either the Harman Kardon line (T45, T60, etc) around $50-100 or the Sugden "Connoisseur" BD-2 with the factory tonearm around $100-200.
All these units have an auto-lift or auto-stop, making life with vinyl more acceptable...
biggrin.gif
Add an ADC XLM-II cartridge in good shape and you'll have more fun than anyone is entitled to...
k1000smile.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 11
Mar 9, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #8 of 11
Mar 9, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #10 of 11
The NAD 5120 and better Dual tables are quite upto the standard of the Project Debut, which is from the same manufacturer as the Music Hall decks incidently.

The Goldring GR1/2 are better than the Project Debut, more like a rebadged Rega Plannar 2. The arm is about as easy to set up as it gets but you do need a stylus force gauge which is worth having anyway as calibrations on counterweights are usually out by anything upto 1/2 a gram.

That Dual 514 above is one of their really really budget decks so I wouldn't bother with that unless you are seriously strapped for cash. 30-40 USD is about all it's worth. That said it will be about as good as the standard entry level decks you find for 150USD on Amazon these days....

Harmon Kardon were never really known for their turntables as far as I am aware. These ones in the links look like pretty unassuming equivalent to JVC or any bog standard Japanese direct drive from the '70s. They would be nice enough quality and will play your records without damaging them but arn't really going to excite you about the possiblilities of vinyl.

Connoisseur are good solid 70's decks, definitely worth considering, as are Acoustic Research, who made some very good suspended subchassis models like the Legend. Might be a bit pricey 2nd hand though.

Mar 10, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
The NAD 5120 and better Dual tables are quite upto the standard of the Project Debut, which is from the same manufacturer as the Music Hall decks incidently.

I had a NAD 5120 for several years. They have some limitations but give a suprisingly good sound for the money.

If you're up to it, you can improve them by upgrading the connectors and improving the damping of the case.

If you do well, you could pick one up for $50 thereabouts. Slap an AT440ML on it for $90 and you could have a very respectable vinyl rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back