Meet 'Typical Headfier' Andy
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #2,206 of 2,335
Makes sense. I am a graphic designer, which explains my comment about the typography and my love/hate relationship with meme generator stuff (love the humor, the typography often makes me cringe)

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #2,207 of 2,335
I'm an amateur web designer. Typography and layout (especially the latter) leave a lot to be desired in many places of the Internet. That demon inside me that just goes apeschiit about that sort of stuff gets tweaked every time I see, for instance, blinding white serifed font on a black background, or Comic Sans anything, or text that just wraps when it hits the edge of the screen, without padding or margins or even a semblance of layout. Oh, and centered. Can't forget that.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #2,208 of 2,335
33785470.jpg

Referring to the typography, of course.
Maybe I should've said "reads great," but then...

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #2,209 of 2,335
Quote:
33785470.jpg

Referring to the typography, of course.
Maybe I should've said "reads great," but then...

I'm also a bit of a grammar nazi. Yeah, that "your" above...must...restrain...urge...to...grr...

Or was that intentional? 
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #2,210 of 2,335
Totally intentional, HAD to do that and leave "this" as a widow. Although, "this" being by itself accidentally gives it more power and almost seems to work. It amuses me that some day, someone will take it out of context and assume I went for the cheap shot, but no, I HAD to do it with memegenerator, and I had to take the über-geeky passage down the rabbit hole. I would've made the font "comic sans" if I could, totally inspired by your post.

If only I could've put "this" on his nose.

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #2,213 of 2,335
Jan 25, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #2,215 of 2,335
^ I have a friend, who I've known since 3rd Grade, who graduated with a BA degree in musical education about two years ago, who last time I saw him was swearing by the pair of beats he recently got as the best headphones ever. Sadly, I think he is more interested in working on music than enjoying music :frowning2:

Last I'd heard of him, in the summer, he had stopped subbing music Ed courses and had become some sort of an assistant for a Republican politician. I say all that not because I think he's bad or dumb, in fact I admire his work ethic and I think he will do well career-wise, but personally I would be so unsatisfied with my life.

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #2,216 of 2,335
Quote:
^ I have a friend, who I've known since 3rd Grade, who graduated with a BA degree in musical education about two years ago, who last time I saw him was swearing by the pair of beats he recently got as the best headphones ever. Sadly, I think he is more interested in working on music than enjoying music
frown.gif

It's paradoxical, but the two things don't always (or often, in my experience) go together. Musical talent and experience have nothing to do with hearing acuity (i.e. Beethoven wrote some of his best music while deaf) or a sense for good sound. You need only look at the loudness wars to see this. If all musicians could judge good audio quality, they'd be appalled at what engineers and labels are doing to their music, and the more technically-minded could in fact learn how to record and mix and thus engineer their own tracks. Almost nobody does this. Most of them just sing, play, and/or write and aren't concerned about the rest of the process.

The ability to judge audio quality is a separate thing entirely. I'd love to see some research on the subject, but my feeling is that it has to do with the brain organizing auditory input differently (e.g. more precisely/fine grained, greater attention to detail) than most people, as well as the ability to store a prototype for natural tonal and attack/decay properties. Humans do this in other places (e.g. you know very precisely what a human should look like, and anyone who deviates significantly from that prototype produces a negative reaction). It makes sense that audiophiles' brains could just use these same cognitive abilities for audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back