MeElectronics trrs plug replacement. Please help me solder the right connections!
Oct 18, 2012 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

daikw

New Head-Fier
Hey there, 

I'm replacing the trrs plug on my Meelectronic IEMs with mic. 

As you can see I have removed the old plug and stripped the wires but I've hit a snag.

I am not sure as to which wires should be soldered to which points on the plug. 

From looking at youtube I have just gotten confused: I cannot find a tutorial for this particular looking plug. And i'm not sure what the green vs the blue is. 

Could someone kindly help in the simple form of :

1 = Green, 2 = Bronze...  et cetera!

The wire colours are Blue, Red, Green, Bronze. 

Many thanks. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 9
always a good idea to take a note of what is connected where before chopping it off......

we would only be guessing based on them hopefully following some sort of standard.

my guess will be

Blue = Left = 3
Red = Right = 2
Green = Ground = 4
Bronze = Mic = 1

but its just an educated guess, sometimes ground and mic will be swapped ie. sometimes ground will be your pin 1 and pin 4 is mic. or rather the standard trrs external pin rings are

||Ground/Sleeve|| mic || right || left (<-tip)

but iphone w mic is apparently

|| mic || ground || right || left (<-tip)

pinouts.ru said:
 iPhone headphone (handsfree)
Pin
Number Pin
Name Description
1 Tip Left audio
2 Ring Right audio
3 Ring Common/Ground
4 Sleeve Microphone
Pressing the headset button shorts Microphone to Ground

Inserting a 3-pin plug into the iPhone's 4-pin receptacle would also short Mic to Common and the L/R earphones will work correctly.

Using 4-pin Headsets provided by certain Phone Carriers also work with the microphone connection and certain remote functions.

Using iPod Earphone that use a microphone with a Cell phone may not provide the mic connection, and wil likely use the phone's internal mic instead.

The iPhone requires a certain impedance on the microphone pin for the input to be detected and used. 1600ohms is a good choice as it is very close to the mic on the standard Apple headphones. So, if you are running an output from a PC or other amplified device into the iPhone mic input you will need to put a 1.6kohm resistor in series for it to work. Tested on iPhone 3GS.

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 9
Oct 19, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #5 of 9
no definite standard no, but ive had a number of stock cables from many manufacturers open. blue is going to be left, red is going to be right, those 2 are pretty much definite. green and bronze are where i'm going by international electrical wiring standards where green is ground, leaving bronze to be mic. i'm guessing the plug he chopped off is a molded plug, maybe not so easy to get into

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #7 of 9
yes, as would I; but we arent talking about what we would do are we mate? =) we are talking about what the OP already has done. I mentioned it might have been a good idea to test the original as my first line of reply too, but I get the feeling that isnt an option anymore. if it is, sure its the best way forward sans having info from the manufacturer.

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #8 of 9
at this point multimeter is the only way to do it.
I would think the copper/bronze color would be ground.

really wish I didn't throw my broken cc51 ear tip out, could've given you 2 colors off that,

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #9 of 9
what trrs plug is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back