Meelectronics R1
Jun 20, 2010 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Flugufrelsarinn

New Head-Fier
Just to start, I'd love to be blessed with some of the knowledge the majority of this forum's regulars have regarding sound and music. However, such a blessing has not come upon me... yet. This following review is based off my lacking knowledge of acoustics and descriptive sound terms - please bare with me. 
devil_face.gif
 I know it's a short review, but we all start somewhere. If you have any questions, post em up and i'll see if I can read up on whatever you're asking about.

I needed a new pair of "cheap" headphones to listen to at the gym, running, at work, in class etc. So I went ahead and got a pair of these Meelec R1 IEMs. I picked them up for $30 - $10 from a gift card +$4 for next-day shipping = $24. For that price, and the great review's i've heard about Meelec M9 and M6 headphones, I decided to pick up a pair of these. 

Pre-trial

Packaging
The box these come in is your basic plastic box, nothing special. It was easy to open with no twist ties or clamshells to struggle with.

Build Quality/Aesthetics
My first thoughts were that these headphones were REALLY light. Thanks to the fact that they are made from wood. However, they feel very strong for lack of a better word. The cords do not seem prone to tangle, and feel rather sturdy. I don't might wearing them running or to the gym. The earbuds themselves look pretty cool, they are different from the majority of plastic and metal earbuds that you see around. The R1's definitely earn a few style points from me.

Sound

Highs
The R1's unlike many bass-centric headphones, these have very distinct highs. I cant think of a term to put on how the highs sound except that there is pronounced treble in some songs, but gone in others. 

Mids
This is one area where the R1's are not too pronounced. This is not to say that there are no mids making it through the bass, as there are. They just aren't as pronounced as I would like.

Lows
I am a bass junkie, so this is where these headphones step out from the pack. They have very pronounced lows- while not being booming. I can listen to a fairly bassy song, but still enjoy the rest of it.

Pics (Dark I know... IT HAS BEEN CLOUDY!!)

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #5 of 10
I too am one of Meelec's newest fans! I think they offer really good quality phones for great prices (from my experience with the R1). I have yet to try the M6, 9, or 11 yet though. I might order some in the near future.

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #7 of 10
Great pics! especially the likely intentional choice of a wood backdrop
normal_smile .gif

I wonder how the sound compares to the M6, which I've recently purchased and am really happy with after some burn-in time. At first they seemed harsh and the bass somewhat muddy, but then after some burn-in and replacement of the tips with Sonys (highly recommended)..wow, night and day. A great product!

Meelec's offerings are a bit odd in that all their units occupy a similar price range with not-so-pronounced differences in quality level (relative to other companies range of offerings). I really wish they would push upwards. The M6 is right on the fence: I love the value for the price, but am left wanting a bit more. I'd love to see what they could do in the $75-$100 range. 

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #8 of 10
I'm thinking about buying a set of hybrids for my M6, but I'm can't find them in Spain, and buying them online would be way to expensive to me. Moreover, buying the "fake" hybrids is not a good idea for me, since I don't know which size will fit me.

Currently I'm using the M6 with the largest tips and they work like a charm :) The large tips force a very shallow insertion, but isolation is great and soundstage too :)

Jun 22, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 10
Interesting note: I emailed Meelec to compliment them on my recent purchase, and mentioned that given their price:performance, I'd love to see them expand on their lineup into products in the $75 and up market. I got a thoughtful, concise response from a fellow named Joe within an hour(!). He said that in fact they are going to be doing just that, and even have products in development in the +$100 range. Given what they can do for $40, I'm looking forward to it. 

Jun 22, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #10 of 10
Yeah, Joe Daileda, he is a great guy :) Very kind, fast replies. The real Meelec spirit of great customer care.

Glad to hear that they're into the 100$ market :) I'm eager to know their new creations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back