MEElectronics: M9 or M6?
Nov 22, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #17 of 29
OK rather than start a new thread I'll ask this here.

First off I'll say I have a nice home rig so I'm no stranger to quality 2 channel audio.

I have a pair of JVC HAFX35 and I'm VERY happy with the way they sound.....I think they're actually better for some music than my Audio Technica ATH-A700 and feel I don't miss anything when listening on my computer rig.

If we say stumble across a pair of M6 for $13 SHIPPED....are they really THAT much better than the HAFX35 to warrant grabbing 2 pairs?

I already have one pair on the way but I'm thinking of grabbing another before the sale is over.

Do I get the second pair or just spend the money on a pair of M9's?

The name of the game is cheap....cheap....cheap for me right now.
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #18 of 29
"If we say stumble across a pair of M6 for $13 SHIPPED....are they really THAT much better than the HAFX35 to warrant grabbing 2 pairs?

I already have one pair on the way but I'm thinking of grabbing another before the sale is over.

The name of the game is cheap....cheap....cheap for me right now."

I'd be interested in the answer to this one too.

- augustwest

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #20 of 29
I missed the M9 for $11.99....I ordered the M6 on Saturday and the M( were $14.99

I'll keep my eye out daily for another sale....with the free shipping New Egg can't be beat.

Anyway New Egg ships FAST.....I got my M6 today and I was surprised since it was the slowest shipping so I didn't expect them until next week.

So I burned the M6 for 9 hours and I'll say they ARE bass heavy but not taking anything away from the mids.....just not getting the instrument seperation I was expecting since most people say they blow away the HAFX35 and I'm not hearing that yet. The highs aren't as clean as the HAFX35 either so we'll see how that turns out also. The bass is alot stronger than the HAFX35 and this is the first iem that I dropped the first three bands on FooBar2000 down 1  DB.

I have them cooking with some bass heavy drum and bass so hopefully in the morning they're sounding a bit cleaner.

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #21 of 29

Quote:
"If we say stumble across a pair of M6 for $13 SHIPPED....are they really THAT much better than the HAFX35 to warrant grabbing 2 pairs?

The name of the game is cheap....cheap....cheap for me right now."

I'd be interested in the answer to this one too.

- augustwest

In my opinion, keep your pair of m6's and get a pair of m9's too. I've got four sets of IEM's, nothing over 40 bucks, but when I'm in the mood for some earphones, m9's are my go to set. I feel like they do everything right for the price, plus the build quality is virtually unmatched in that price bracket. I'm not a basshead by any means, but occasionally, I want to listen to some dubstep with these things inserted deep and the volume cranked up high. If I do it right, I can get the feeling that I'm standing right next to a drum and the sound waves are hitting with an impact I can feel in my brain.

Might not be the healthiest thing, but it's fun to do from time to time.

Nov 29, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #22 of 29

Quote:
In my opinion, keep your pair of m6's and get a pair of m9's too. I've got four sets of IEM's, nothing over 40 bucks, but when I'm in the mood for some earphones, m9's are my go to set. I feel like they do everything right for the price, plus the build quality is virtually unmatched in that price bracket. I'm not a basshead by any means, but occasionally, I want to listen to some dubstep with these things inserted deep and the volume cranked up high. If I do it right, I can get the feeling that I'm standing right next to a drum and the sound waves are hitting with an impact I can feel in my brain.

Might not be the healthiest thing, but it's fun to do from time to time.

I get that same in the club feeling with my M6. Listening to Deadmau5 is AMAZING!!!

If the M9 have an even stronger bottom end I can't wait to try a pair.

Newegg has the M9 for $9.99  with free shipping so no use even contemplating anymore.....just order!!!!

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #23 of 29

Quote:
I have heard both, IMO M6 is brighter and more balanced across, whereas M9 has slightly bigger bass, yet not as bright as M6, so depends really which signature you prefer, cost is roughly the same

I like a lot of hip hop/rap i rather have full bass rather than just big bass but, i do like big bass but, still rather have full bass. Which would u recommend m6p or m9p?

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #24 of 29

Quote:
I like a lot of hip hop/rap i rather have full bass rather than just big bass but, i do like big bass but, still rather have full bass. Which would u recommend m6p or m9p?

Ummm...if all you want is just a full bass effect, rumbles and rolls, then I would recommend either Xears Nature N3i, or AtrioX if you can stretch that far. AtrioX is PERFECT for hip-hop and rap, the bass is made for that genre...

...but if you only can choose between M6 and M9, then I would probably say that M9's bass will be suited better for hip-hop. M6's bass is best suited for EDM-type of bass

Dec 3, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #25 of 29
I now own both the M9 and M6.

The M9 has a brighter balance with a stronger bottom end than the M6.....a very strong bottom end but it doesn't take anything away from the other frequencies. Any problems in the midrange are independant of the strong bottom end.

The bass on the M9 is fuller with multi-layered synthesized bass effects with artists like Deadmau5. The Lady Gaga Remix album is very satisfying with the M9

My M9 are still burning in with around 40 hours and they're improving but they still have a nasally upper mid presence....female vocals and the upper registers of male vocals have too much emphasis. The new BEastie Boys album is a good example of this. All three members vocal range is in the upper range and there too much emphasis.

M6 sound is as I would describe ....meaty.

What I mean by this is theres a balance towards the mid bass and low frequencies. But it does have good presence in the upper registers just not as much as the M9. The M6 does sound slightly dull to my ears but nothing too detracting if listening to certain music. Live recordings are very nice on the M6. It's also nice for Metal. There aren't any of the upper midrange problems that I detect with the M9 which can make some Metal guitar tones unbearable. If constantly fiddling with the Eq.....but I'm hoping most of these problems will correct themselves with another 20 hours of burn in.

Dec 3, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #26 of 29
Now onto my biggest concerns.....with the M6 I couldn't get a good fit with any of the tips they provide. I settled on a pair of clear silicone tips from another set I got just for the clear tips. If they are pushed in too far the treble response is cut off. I have to pull them out of my ears to bring back the upper range and for some reason they slowly go further into my ear canal ......a first for any iem since most want to fall out. They need to be in far enough for the seal but not too far to kill the upper frequencies. This happens only on my left ear.

The other problem with the M6 is driver flex. If they into the ear too far the driver on my left unit crackles like crazy ....if I move my head, open my mouth ....crackle....crackle....crackle.

Theres a very narrow range of fit for me that works and I'm sure it's the same for others. I will contact MEE about this and see what they can do for me. I LOVE the sound signature of the M6 so I'm hoping that it's possibly just my pair which is black. It's possible that the driver isn't secure in the housing and I'll contact MEE about this matter.

the M9....I used the double flanged tips which are different than the ones supplied with the M6....they're a bit more narrow at the tip which is a good fit for me. But the angle that they're inserted is the make it or break it for me.

If the tip isn't pointed at an upward angle I lose the seal and 1/2 the bass is gone.

The M9 can't be worn over the ear because of the rigid plastic strain relief at the base of the unit and have to be inserted with the strain reliefs pointing straight out...not a deal breaker but I like to wear my iems over the ear if possible.

And of course the upper midrange emphasis on the M9 is a concern and I hope it corrects itself with more burn in.

The only other thing I have a gripe about with both pairs is the cord. While it's nice it holds memory. The cord on the JVC HAFX34 and HAFX35 is PERFECT....holds no memory and is of sufficient gauge. I actually use the M6 case to hold my HAFX35 since it fits in perfect and doesn't get all kinked up after being in there for several hours.

I'll provide an update on the M9 sound signature and if I can get MEE to do anything about my M6.

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #27 of 29
I had fit issues as well with the provided tips, that was fixed by getting some sony hybrid tips.  Keep playing with tips.

Quote:
Now onto my biggest concerns.....with the M6 I couldn't get a good fit with any of the tips they provide. I settled on a pair of clear silicone tips from another set I got just for the clear tips. If they are pushed in too far the treble response is cut off. I have to pull them out of my ears to bring back the upper range and for some reason they slowly go further into my ear canal ......a first for any iem since most want to fall out. They need to be in far enough for the seal but not too far to kill the upper frequencies. This happens only on my left ear.

The other problem with the M6 is driver flex. If they into the ear too far the driver on my left unit crackles like crazy ....if I move my head, open my mouth ....crackle....crackle....crackle.

Theres a very narrow range of fit for me that works and I'm sure it's the same for others. I will contact MEE about this and see what they can do for me. I LOVE the sound signature of the M6 so I'm hoping that it's possibly just my pair which is black. It's possible that the driver isn't secure in the housing and I'll contact MEE about this matter.

the M9....I used the double flanged tips which are different than the ones supplied with the M6....they're a bit more narrow at the tip which is a good fit for me. But the angle that they're inserted is the make it or break it for me.

If the tip isn't pointed at an upward angle I lose the seal and 1/2 the bass is gone.

The M9 can't be worn over the ear because of the rigid plastic strain relief at the base of the unit and have to be inserted with the strain reliefs pointing straight out...not a deal breaker but I like to wear my iems over the ear if possible.

And of course the upper midrange emphasis on the M9 is a concern and I hope it corrects itself with more burn in.

The only other thing I have a gripe about with both pairs is the cord. While it's nice it holds memory. The cord on the JVC HAFX34 and HAFX35 is PERFECT....holds no memory and is of sufficient gauge. I actually use the M6 case to hold my HAFX35 since it fits in perfect and doesn't get all kinked up after being in there for several hours.

I'll provide an update on the M9 sound signature and if I can get MEE to do anything about my M6.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #28 of 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator702 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I could wear mine over the ear, the strain relief wasn't sticked to my temple, but it was fine for me, I used them with the stock grey bi-flange tips and some other bi-flange found on ebay. The M9 are balanced earphones (V shape signature), don't expect too much correction with the upper mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back