MEElectronics M6 vs Nuforce NE-6
Mar 9, 2010 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

NDS

Head-Fier
After wasting some more time on head-fi I've narrowed down my new purchase to these 2 headphones. I am leaning towards the M6 because of build quality but I would like to know what kind of sound signature the M6 and Ne-6 have.

Also I would like to know of they are in different classes in terms of SQ. I've
read that the NE-6/Ne-7m provide similar clarity as the er6is but with a nice round bottom. As for the m6 i'm not too sure what the sound signature is or the class of SQ.

I've had extensive time with the ksc-75, AT-a900, im716s, e4c, jbl 220s, and cx300s. Would someone be so kind as to describe the sound signature, SQ and clarity of both in comparative terms of these headphones or at all? I have performed numerous searches but it's hard to find reviews other than FOTM-isms. Thanks in advance

-NDS

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 12
It's been a long while since I've tried the ne-6s, but I can help you with the M6. They have a somewhat warm (read: midbass hump) sound signature coupled with a decent a bit of treble sparkle. Bass nice and visceral, while mids are ever so slightly recessed - but then again I'm used to my grados so maybe I just prefer more forward mids. Clarity is fairly good, soundstage isn't bad, and they are comfortable once you remove the awful memory wire. I prefer them with the sony hybrid tips. They have a fun and dynamic sound that works with most genres and the warmth provides a nice contrast to my much leaner grados (and the leaner ksc75s) without giving up that sparkle I love.

Edit: I just did a quick comparison between the two again, and to my ears the ksc75s are still the better phone by a bit, despite not having the low end oomph that the M6s offer. But if you're still looking for IEMs, the M6s are a good buy notwithstanding.

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 12
Hrmmm that sounds like quite the downgrade in SQ
frown.gif
. I didnt want to go too much lower in compared to my e4cs. I really like the design of the m6s. Now I just have to wonder if the NE-6s live up to their original hype of being like an er6 with bass. I may have to reconsider the RE2 + fiio5 now too
frown.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 12
I think that at the lower end of the price spectrum, most portables will beat IEMs in terms of sound quality. At the high end most headfiers would argue the reverse, but that's getting off topic. Frankly, if SQ is your only concern go with a portable. If you need some isolation and don't mind lugging around a bigger set of headphones, go with a portable. Joker has quite a few good ones that offer isolation in addition to good SQ in his review thread. The only reason to get an IEM at the low price point is when you need both isolation and portability.

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 12
Well I'm replacing my e4cs so I would like isolation. Kscs etc will be on my list later as i had a pair but they broke. I may or may not still buy the M6s still though. I'm just disappointed in the SQ level now. The Ne-6/7s and RE2s are suppoesd to compete with headphones in a higher bracket. I remember the RE2s being placed a step above the unamped im716, but durability may be an issue with them. The NE-6/NE-7m i'm waiting for a non-FOTM comment to hopefully find the real standing in terms of sq.
frown.gif
It's because i'm rough with my stuff I can't have nice things.
frown.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 12
Mar 9, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 12
I don't think either the RE2 or the NE-6 is on a higher level than the M6 performance wise, and I've owned all three simultaneously. The differences come down to personal preference - you didn't mention what sort of sound you are looking for. The RE2s definitely have the most detailed treble of the three but really drop off at the bottom end and were a bit bright for my liking. The NE-6 are the opposite, with powerful bass and less upfront treble. They are even more colored than the M6. Balance-wise the M6 are in between the two, with the weakest mids but good bass and treble. I personally prefer the slightly v-shaped response of the M6s as well as their airiness and soundstaging.

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think either the RE2 or the NE-6 is on a higher level than the M6 performance wise, and I've owned all three simultaneously. The differences come down to personal preference - you didn't mention what sort of sound you are looking for. The RE2s definitely have the most detailed treble of the three but really drop off at the bottom end and were a bit bright for my liking. The NE-6 are the opposite, with powerful bass and less upfront treble. They are even more colored than the M6. Balance-wise the M6 are in between the two, with the weakest mids but good bass and treble. I personally prefer the slightly v-shaped response of the M6s as well as their airiness and soundstaging.

Just the man i was looking for. If they're all in the same SQ level the m6 should be a nobrainer. I'm leaning against the RE2 since i had the im716s and they were too bright for me. would V-shaped response would resemble the response of the a900s? Would the m6s be a substantial downgrade from my e4cs? I dont really know what kind of SQ but I would like some bass. I'm no basshead by any means but an etyish SQ is not something I want at the moment.

edit: I guess i'm looking for a balanced phone thats comfortable and durable with good SQ. Treble shouldn't be too harsh and bass shouldn't be muddy/overbearing. So the SQ would be similar to the a900s for the m6s?

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by NDS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just the man i was looking for. If they're all in the same SQ level the m6 should be a nobrainer. I'm leaning against the RE2 since i had the im716s and they were too bright for me. would V-shaped response would resemble the response of the a900s? Would the m6s be a substantial downgrade from my e4cs? I dont really know what kind of SQ but I would like some bass. I'm no basshead by any means but an etyish SQ is not something I want at the moment.

It's been a while since I had the E4's and when I did I was not impressed with them at all. However, they were $300 phones back then, which, while not doing much for their price/performance quotient, means I expected much more out of them than the $40 M6s. The E4s for me were approximately on the level of something like an Ety Er6i, Klipsch S4, or Monster Turbine - not great phones but a step above the <$50 crop. I've never heard the A900 or any of audio-technica's closed full-size cans for that matter so I can't be of much help there.

Quote:

edit: I guess i'm looking for a balanced phone thats comfortable and durable with good SQ. Treble shouldn't be too harsh and bass shouldn't be muddy/overbearing.

Perhaps the soundmagic PL50 or Maximo iM-590 will be more up your alley. Both have better balance than the M6, although they give a thing or two up to the Meelecs.

The big downfall of the PL50 for me was the overly thick midrange, which resulted in a lack of air in their presentation. But some people like that and they are very good phones nonetheless. The Maximos definitely don't have that problem but they have a few treble spikes that give them a slightly 'hot' sound. Not a problem for me personally, but they don't sound quite as smooth as the M6s as a result. And of course they aren't quite as comfortable as the light and flush Meelecs. I guess the moral of story is that you can't have it all for $50, so you have to pick the criteria that are most important to you and focus on IEMs that tick those boxes.

There are also plenty of reviews on all of these which should be of assistance. I believe HeadphoneAddict did a piece comparing the NE-7M to the iM-590 directly. Mark2410 and clieOS also have excellent reviews of both the PL50 and iM-590.

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 12
are the m6s fatiguing? comfort is a big issue and after trying out some westone3s and pl-30s (very random) i really like the over the ear design. Would i be able to listen to the m6s for long periods of time while staying comfortable/unfatiguing. I was using my a900s while studying and found that after 30-40minutes i'd have to take a break.

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

are the m6s fatiguing? comfort is a big issue and after trying out some westone3s and pl-30s (very random) i really like the over the ear design. Would i be able to listen to the m6s for long periods of time while staying comfortable/unfatiguing. I was using my a900s while studying and found that after 30-40minutes i'd have to take a break.

I'm interested in the comfort of them too. Currently I use my se210's, but they tend to be a bit fatiguing to my ears. Just wanting a budget IEM to use while running and studying.

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

The M6 are very light and comfortable. The memory wire takes some fiddling with to shape correctly, but once finished they are extremely secure and unobtrusive. Removing the memory wire takes about 10 minutes and makes it much easier to take them off/put them on in a hurry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back