Meelectronics M6 vs. M9 observations / and a quick and dirty M9 mod
Aug 27, 2011 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

vormhat

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, long time listening first time caller.  I'm new to this particular hobby but not new to sound as I've been a home theater/stereo speaker guy for a few years.   Just recently, I bought a pair of Sennheiser PX-200IIs which are really nice but then I got an itch for more 
biggrin.gif

I wanted some small IEMs for walking around and thanks to this forum, particular Joker's review thread, I've purchased first the M6 and then the M9.   As speakers go, I prefer as neutral as possible with a slight leaning towards warm.  This is mainly because room interactions inside a non-treated area, such as a normal house, tend to make treble sound nasty.  But with cans, it seems like I don't need this trait.  

Firstly, the PX-200 IIs are better than both these IEMs.  That's expected at their much higher price range.   Excellent resolution, perfectly neutral, and a nice low end thats well tamed.

Not going to bother with packaging and comfort, whatnot, this has been all covered before ad naseum.  I first got the M6s.  Joker has these are his number one best value IEM.   After some pink noise burn in for maybe 24hrs, the first thing that popped out was how warm these are.   The low end doesn't seem to be much and the high end has some sparkle but sounds recessed as well.  They had this muffled sound to me.   Maybe they need more burn in?

Disappointed a bit, I figured the M9s would be a good try since they were supposed to be bassier and had a more forward top end (plus only $13 off ebay).  So after popping those in, they sounded better to me with definately more treble and a lot more bass... but the bass was sloppy. 

Now, observing these head-phones, lets assume they use the same driver as others have stated.   The enclosure for the M9 is not only bigger but has a nozzle, in other words, whereas the M6 is smaller and has no nozzle.  To me, this is the equivalent of a sealed, smaller speaker vs. a larger bass reflex speaker.  This is an assumption on my part based on speakers, but it should hold up.

My solution?  Plug the hole just like you can put a plug in a ported speaker.   It takes more expensive drivers to get well tamed bass response from ported speakers usually and I'll assume the same here.   So just taking a little piece of scotch tape on each side, I plugged them up.  After listening, they sounded much better to my ears.  I lost some low end, but I also lost the flabbyness too.  I'll use a drop of glue or something else later.

So to sum it up, if the bass is too bloated for your M9s try sealing the holes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back