Meelectronic M6 for IEM if I like PortaPro?
Dec 9, 2009 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Orange1

100+ Head-Fier
I am wanting to give an IEM another go.

I have PortaPro I like alot, it seems rich and full with some detail.
I have PK3 which seems thin to me and I don't like it so much. But it is still better that anything that comes with an MP3 player.

I tried an IEM before, but didn't give time to get used to something in my ear. This time I will.

I had Grado sR60i, but I have a teeny head, and they were a bit too big. Btu I love their sound. So I doubt anything but a superadjustable headset would do me (like th PortaPro) so I thought I'd venture into IEM territory. Headsize don't matter there.

So will I like the M6, or should I be looking at another IEM to start. I really want to stay under 50.

I listen to lectures, pop, country rock old jazz singers, soundtracks, just a mix. Favorites currently Allison Krauss Raising Sand and Genesis Seconds Out.

What I would create is a sound that I can hear all the instruments far away from each other (I guess depth and soundstage) but feels album acoustic vs. cd digital. Suggestions please?

Thank you

Dec 10, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 31
I can't tell you anything about the M6's, but I'm interested in any reply you get, since I like the Portapro sound signature and Meelectronics seems to make cheap but good IEMs.

I'm subscribing to this thread, I hope you get some replies!

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 31
Ok I haven't listened to both in a fair while and I sold my m6's a couple of days ago actually but from memory the porta's are a bit darker than the m6's. The m6's have an extrodinary amount of detail for its price, but for some reason I found them incredibly boring with guitar based music such as rock and acoustic but very good for metal. For my own tastes they shone amazingly for electronica, bass quantity and treble energy seemed spot on for the genre. From memory they have a bit of a U shape going on
I personally loved the m6's for what they were, I don't think they would be a bad choice for you by any means but others may be able to make suggestions of IEMs closer to the porta pro sound (*waits for Mark2410 to recommend radiopaq jazz*
wink.gif
)

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...] from memory the porta's are a bit darker than the m6's. The m6's have an extrodinary amount of detail for its price, but for some reason I found them incredibly boring with guitar based music such as rock and acoustic but very good for metal. For my own tastes they shone amazingly for electronica, bass quantity and treble energy seemed spot on for the genre. From memory they have a bit of a U shape going on

Yep, this is true. If you like the dark, bass-heavy sound of the PortaPros the M6s might sound bright-and-shiny to you. They do have but of a v-shape response with the mids just slightly recessed behind the treble and bass. The particular signature does indeed work well for me but I wouldn't say that it's the perfect match for Portas.

However, you did mention that you like the Grados as well, which are pretty much opposite to the portas in signature, so not all is lost. I think you will like the M6s just fine.

If you're specifically looking for depth and soundstage nothing in the price range will even come close to the Cyclone PR1 Pro (mentioned above), but you mentioned that you like a rich and full sound. Because of the spatial separation and generally laid-back sound the Cyclones can sound a little thin coming from something like the PortaPros. They're still my favorite sub-$50 IEM, but they're not for everyone.

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 31
Thanks.

Yes I much prefer the sound of the Grado's to the PortaPros. So if the M6's are more like that then I guess that is the way to go. Thank you for saying the Cyclone is so laid-back It can sound thin, which is my gripe with my PK3, it just doesn't have oomph but for different reasons.

I thought of the SoundMagic pl50 (as you mentioned on another thread 55-10 coupon)
ljockerl please decide for me. You pick for me, and I won't complain at all (not on this forum anyways, maybe to my dog...)

Dec 10, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 31
I say go for the M6. I think you'll like them. The Jazz are quite good but difficult to find outside of Europe. And probably over $50. The Soundmagics are not Grado-like at all with their creamy midrange and treble smoothness.

Dec 11, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say go for the M6. I think you'll like them. The Jazz are quite good but difficult to find outside of Europe. And probably over $50. The Soundmagics are not Grado-like at all with their creamy midrange and treble smoothness.

You should keep a tally on how many decisions you've made for people on earphone purchases
beyersmile.png

I've definitely seen you in the last few days giving great detailed feedback to new members when nobody else was interested, you're a saint
beerchug.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should keep a tally on how many decisions you've made for people on earphone purchases
beyersmile.png

I've definitely seen you in the last few days giving great detailed feedback to new members when nobody else was interested, you're a saint
beerchug.gif

Haha. Thanks. I was hoping starting a review thread would help people reach a decision on their own but hey... I don't mind answering more or less detailed questions. It's the generic recommendation threads that I ignore
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered the M6, and will report back here after the burn-in : )

nice going
smily_headphones1.gif
what colour did you go for?

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #15 of 31
I got (bought) a clear M6 a few days ago. Will arrive at the end of the month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back