Meelec M6 or M9?
Feb 17, 2011 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Cloud-S

New Head-Fier
Which is better? Some reviews say, that having the same driver both have equal sound while some suggests that M6 is better. Also, can the M6 be worn like 'normal' earphones besides 'over the ear' style?

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 5
Better is up to you. I have both the M9 and the M6 and have read the claims that they have the same driver. Honestly I rather doubt this claim as they sound quite different. Of course, it could always be just the fact they have different housings that cause the difference. Regardless they do sound different. The claims that the M6 is better is more or less true depending on how you define better. The M6 is superior to the M9 in just about every way except sound stage and airiness. But like I said upfront, better is up to you. Some people prefer the M9. Unlike the M6 it does not have to be worn over the ear (yes, the m6 must be worn over the ear). It also packs more bass than the M6--not better bass, just more. It also has the benefit of metal housings over plastic ones. Personally, I like both for their own reasons. If am I am in a "crank the subwoofer up, feel the bass mood" I grab the M9. If I am in a more "I want to hear sparkly highs mood" then I grab the M6. My advise on which one to buy would basically be this: first do you mind over the ear? If yes, buy the M9. If no buy the M6. And Second, do you prefer to feel the bass or hear the bass? If the former buy the M9. If the latter buy the M6. (Not saying the M6 is week in bass mind you, just not as excessive.)

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 5
I personally have the M9's and I thoroughly enjoy them. Using the black double flange tips included with them, I can listen to everything from dubstep (skrillex and deadmau5) to post-hardcore rock (woe is me, get scared) without worry. I wouldn't say they do anything really well, but they're a good midground for the price. It is true about the airiness of the m9's, they feel like a 20/80 open/closed ratio. I quite like the fact that the housing is metal as i accidentally stepped on my last pair of IEM's and they broke. oh poor poor sony marshmallows. 

I haven't heard the SP51, but there was a thread floating around here earlier claiming they sound terrible.

edit: forgot to mention that the m9 feels quite responsive to EQing. i have a 2nd gen ipod touch and i use the presets on that when i'm on the go. otherwise i use the EQ on my labtop (but when i'm home, i'm usually using my grado. i haven't got a closed can yet, so i'm forced to use my iem's from time to time)

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Which is better? Some reviews say, that having the same driver both have equal sound while some suggests that M6 is better. Also, can the M6 be worn like 'normal' earphones besides 'over the ear' style?

Well its what you prefer the m6 can only be worn over the ear but, the m9 can be worn both ways. They are 2 very different IEMs thats why i am having trouble deciding myself. I think I'm just going to get both and if I really like both i will keep both but if I like one better than the other than i will keep the one i like better. IMO I think the m6 is a sport IEM it should only be used for sport because of the memory wire and the over the ear style. I can imagine how annoying it would be to put them on and how long it would take to put on if I brought them in the car or on the bus. The m9 however, is a casual IEM its meant for casual listeners that don't need it for sport like things but use for things casual person like the car, bus, school, and at home. BUt, still the reason I cant decide is because of how cool the clear model looks! But, if your a casual listener and don;t neeed earphones for sports get the m9s. If u want an IEM you can go to the gym with and do exercise with I suggest you get the m6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back