Mee P1 headphone Amp?
Mar 21, 2018 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Vacantchimp

New Head-Fier
Hi All
New guy to forum here and sort of a hifi novice asking for advice etc? Decided to upgrade fromy long in the tooth Ipod classic and Soundmagic E30 combo. So got an Astell & Kern Jr and a set of the P1 Pinnacle on ebay for around £300 together. Happy with the sound quality of both but find that I have to crank up the volume to around 62 from 75 max to get a loudish volume. Is that normal with this combo..and could you recommend alternative phones or a suitable headphone amp for home use maybe? Thanks guys?

Mar 21, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 12
The Pinnacle P1's impedance of 50 ohms and sensitivity of only 96 dB means it is going to be more power-hungry than the average bear. If you like fairly robust listening levels, you may want to look into an amp. I personally like the FiiO A5 a lot because it offers lots of power and flexibility for down the road. If you happen to pick up a full-size headphone at some point that is hardish to drive, the A5 will likely be adequate to drive it.If you don't want a portable option, a Magni 3 could also work as a desktop. Some thoughts.

Mar 23, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 12
Hi All
New guy to forum here and sort of a hifi novice asking for advice etc? Decided to upgrade fromy long in the tooth Ipod classic and Soundmagic E30 combo. So got an Astell & Kern Jr and a set of the P1 Pinnacle on ebay for around £300 together. Happy with the sound quality of both but find that I have to crank up the volume to around 62 from 75 max to get a loudish volume. Is that normal with this combo..and could you recommend alternative phones or a suitable headphone amp for home use maybe? Thanks guys?

How much are you looking to spend, are you looking for anything particular in sound or features?

Mar 25, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 12
The Pinnacle P1's impedance of 50 ohms and sensitivity of only 96 dB means it is going to be more power-hungry than the average bear. If you like fairly robust listening levels, you may want to look into an amp. I personally like the FiiO A5 a lot because it offers lots of power and flexibility for down the road. If you happen to pick up a full-size headphone at some point that is hardish to drive, the A5 will likely be adequate to drive it.If you don't want a portable option, a Magni 3 could also work as a desktop. Some thoughts.
Hi
Thanks for the reply! I have an E7 Fiio DAC that I was using with my iPod, so like the range, will definitely check out the A5 and also the Magni 3 which I think I can get in the UK.

Mar 25, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 12
Hi
I have one more question regarding the output? The AK JR is quoted as having an output of 1.95vrms, how does that compare to the A5 and the Magni 3? Never been that great at maths!
The FiiO peak puts out 14.96 V and the Schiit max power output at 50 ohms is 1.3 W RMS per channel. Either one has way more than enough power to drive the P1, especially the Magni 3.

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 12
The FiiO peak puts out 14.96 V and the Schiit max power output at 50 ohms is 1.3 W RMS per channel. Either one has way more than enough power to drive the P1, especially the Magni 3.
Hi serman005 again!
Thanks for the info..but slightly confused..you mentioned that the Magni 3 output at 50 ohm is 1.3w rms but isn't that less than the 1.95vrms quoted for the AK?
Also I read a review of the A5 which said that it changed the sound characteristics of the input sound, creating more bass and losing a bit of detail. Do all headphone amps change the input sound as I like the JR neutral sound? I can get the A5 and Magni 3 in the UK for basically the same price around £110.. which would be your preferred choice for not altering the input sound signature when amplifying? Thanks again..

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 12
Hi serman005 again!
Thanks for the info..but slightly confused..you mentioned that the Magni 3 output at 50 ohm is 1.3w rms but isn't that less than the 1.95vrms quoted for the AK?
Also I read a review of the A5 which said that it changed the sound characteristics of the input sound, creating more bass and losing a bit of detail. Do all headphone amps change the input sound as I like the JR neutral sound? I can get the A5 and Magni 3 in the UK for basically the same price around £110.. which would be your preferred choice for not altering the input sound signature when amplifying? Thanks again..
Sorry just realized you quoted watts not volts..so a lot higher output than the JR I suspect!!

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #9 of 12
The amplification process basically always adds or subtracts from the original signal in some way. Distortion may accrue. It may add warmth. Etc. There is no completely clean HP amp, even at the high price-points. Given your comments, I would think a Magni 3 would be a better option for you.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 12
The amplification process basically always adds or subtracts from the original signal in some way. Distortion may accrue. It may add warmth. Etc. There is no completely clean HP amp, even at the high price-points. Given your comments, I would think a Magni 3 would be a better option for you.
Hi Again!
Thanks again for the info..in Adelaide at the moment..back in UK on April 9th..so will definitely check out the Magni 3..not available so easily over here I suspect but will search out. Did see one on eBay the other day but from USA so obviously be no good with the UK voltage being 220-240v!
Thanks again for the really constructive observations!

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #12 of 12
Got them here and really enjoying, though at some point I tire of things in my ears vs. over ears.

They sound ok off my phone (S8) but not amazing.

Things are much tighter off the Magni 3, and suspect this is plenty of amp to drive these properly.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back