Mee HT-21 Mod
Dec 15, 2011 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

rpajarr

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!

I've always loved my HT-21s for use away from home. Its sound is definitely on the cool side and while it has a pretty good kick in the bass, I've found it lacking sometimes. Normally I EQ it up with my iPhone, but the real problem is that the headphones aren't clamping enough to make a good seal. As we all know, when it comes to isolation bass goes first, so for portable use that extra kick is useful.

This mod actually happened out of experimentation to see if increasing the distance between the driver and ear would create an airier sound-stage, but what I got was better.

The mod is simple: raise the pads.

Firstly, I think it's important to remove that ridiculous cloth from the pad! It just gets in the way of the sound. I took it out a while ago, so I can't actually speak for whether or not it makes the sound any cleaner, but I'm going to go ahead and say that it does (logically). But seriously, removing the cloth allows us to fill the excess space beneath the pad with something -- the pads are very loose fitting on the cups because of the extra pleather. So get out that knife and cut the thing out!

I personally just cut a piece of napkin, folded it three or four times, and stuck it underneath the pad. It raises the pads and results in a tighter fit and a better seal with the ear, which means more BASS

[size=small]Conclusion:[/size]

This mod may only apply to those of us without melon heads. It may also apply to those who don't want to wear a tacky sweatband to increase the clamp of the headphone (God that's tacky), which also has an ugly effect on the mids in my opinion. To me, it definitely beats out my Portapro in bass impact. Despite distancing the driver from the ear, I feel like the airiness of the HT-21 is reduced slightly because it is more sealed with the ear. The mids are distanced a bit, which is fine to me because it's a pretty mid-forward signature anyway (I like a slight V). In general, the signature is the same, but with a boost in the mid-bass -- I believe. Also, comfort is only a hair worse, but only if you compare it directly to stock. It's still very comfortable.

If there's anybody out there looking for a throw-around portable with good clarity and a nice, clean bass kick (or punch), the HT-21s will deliver -- especially after this simple mod. For $25, what's there to lose? These things need more love, as I prefer them over my Portapros for portable use (which are $10 more). Not to mention the fact that they respond very well to EQing. For home I have my vented, reverse-comfied SR-60s, and the HT-21s get me a bit closer to that sound on the go.

Peace!

Disclaimer: YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back