MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
Jan 31, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #2,491 of 3,265
Started to listen to SeeSax's P1. I'll start it off by saying: wow.

Resolution. Expanse of echo trails are awesome. Epic even (depending on recording). I'm not into the mids yet, but I'm liking the highs on this thing. I bet people would go nuts if they hear a pinnacle p2 come out! Awrite. That's all for now!

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #2,492 of 3,265
Newb here, but long time audiophile and professional bassist. Audio gear like Theta, McCormack, Apogee, NHT (the amazing 3.3) and ATI - older but great sound.Bass gear if anyone cares would be Sadowsky, AudioKinesis and TecAmp.
My family has recently moved to Taiwan with Nike and we will likely be in Asia for 3 - 5 years, our home here is quite amazing, but I do have to keep the volume down to avoid waking my kids. This has had me enter into the DAP world. I bought a AK70 which is really amazing (except the EQ which bites) and the Mee Pinnacle P1. I came across the P1 while auditioning the (Asian market) ATH LS400, knowing that it was well received here I bought it with little time spent auditioning it. I like the way it fits, and for the most part the tone, but sadly it is just too bass shy for me. While most everything is available here in Taichung, my wife is heading home for a couple of weeks and I want to take advantage of this and if possible Amazon. Any P1 users have a recommendation for an iem ($200 - $400) with better bass, not basshead mind you, just more extended bass and sub bass than the P1.

TIA

Toby

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #2,495 of 3,265
Newb here, but long time audiophile and professional bassist. Audio gear like Theta, McCormack, Apogee, NHT (the amazing 3.3) and ATI - older but great sound.Bass gear if anyone cares would be Sadowsky, AudioKinesis and TecAmp.
My family has recently moved to Taiwan with Nike and we will likely be in Asia for 3 - 5 years, our home here is quite amazing, but I do have to keep the volume down to avoid waking my kids. This has had me enter into the DAP world. I bought a AK70 which is really amazing (except the EQ which bites) and the Mee Pinnacle P1. I came across the P1 while auditioning the (Asian market) ATH LS400, knowing that it was well received here I bought it with little time spent auditioning it. I like the way it fits, and for the most part the tone, but sadly it is just too bass shy for me. While most everything is available here in Taichung, my wife is heading home for a couple of weeks and I want to take advantage of this and if possible Amazon. Any P1 users have a recommendation for an iem ($200 - $400) with better bass, not basshead mind you, just more extended bass and sub bass than the P1.

TIA

Toby

There is the IT03 that's been getting good reviews as of late, but I've not heard them (yet). I could also point your attention to the dn2000 by Dunu which is fantastic for subbass unto midrange balance: there lies its tilt regarding sound signature. The p1 in comparison has a brighter signature with its emphasis upper midrange all the way up the highs. Both iems compliment each other nicely.

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #2,496 of 3,265

TIA

Toby

Hey Toby!

I bought the mee p1, and I too needed a bit more bass. It just felt like something was missing. After giving them a chance for about month, I gave it to my brother.

Have you ever heard of the PSB M4U 4? You might love them, they retail for $299 on amazon. After auditioning for a replacement I decided these, they are as close to bass head without crossing over to that realm. Super clear, no fatigue, and the soundstage and bass is leaps above the p1.

I got 4 of them, and 3 of them I am selling. Here is a link to my ebay listing. I fell in love with these earphone, they are as close to a speaker sound as I've ever heard from any in ear monitors.
Paul Barton makes pretty amazing speakers

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/142262107043

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #2,498 of 3,265
RHA T20 might fit the bill nicely, as the bass is just slightly elevated and very textured and refined. And I'm not selling them, lol.

Conveniently the shop I purchased the P1 from is an RHA dealer.
In listening to these again today I'm starting to think there is something wrong with mine. In comparing them to the 1more triple, Audio Technica ATH M50s and Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm they sound closed in and muted. Will compare them to the demo set at the shop prior to contacting Mee.

The shop swapped me for a new set, while they sound better they are still lacking enough bass for me to be happy.
I did try the RHA T20, definitely closer to what I am looking for.

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #2,499 of 3,265
The bass is fine on the P1's, its the tip selection that prevents its true self coming through. Try a smaller tip and go for a deeper insertion, I did that and its great. The bass on these is unique, its certainly the fastest bass I have heard, it just does its thing in the background. Compared to 'Bassy' headphones such as X2's and Amperior's its in a different league. 

Roll some tips and see what you think.

Jim. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #2,500 of 3,265

TIA

Toby

Hi Toby, welcome to our wonderful money pit, errr hobby! Glad you are choosing wisely with your gear.

I have the P1, and use Comply tips. I really didn't like the silicon tips included. I thoroughly enjoy the sound signature of the P1, too. For a good long time, they were my go to pair. I did lament the lack of bass, even with the Comply's, though.

As a result, I purchased some other IEM's and while I still keep my P1's I enjoy my others more. I recently auditioned (long term) the FLC8S, from a fellow Headfier; and I have to say I was quite amazed. What with the filter system, the ability to fine tune the sound is a pretty cool marvel in this market.

After the audition, I ended up with a pair I found on eBay. I am very happy. With the correct order of filters, you can get some pretty serious bass out the the FLC and they fit the bill quite nicely. I would recommend a listen if possible. They are impressive and retail for $339-ish.

That said, I have heard neither the I03, or the PSB, but I have heard good things about both (take that as you will, we are a pretty passionate, and fickle! group).

I'm very happy with the FLC8S, and would recommend a listen. Best of luck!

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #2,501 of 3,265
Hi Toby, welcome to our wonderful money pit, errr hobby! Glad you are choosing wisely with your gear.

I have the P1, and use Comply tips. I really didn't like the silicon tips included. I thoroughly enjoy the sound signature of the P1, too. For a good long time, they were my go to pair. I did lament the lack of bass, even with the Comply's, though.

As a result, I purchased some other IEM's and while I still keep my P1's I enjoy my others more. I recently auditioned (long term) the FLC8S, from a fellow Headfier; and I have to say I was quite amazed. What with the filter system, the ability to fine tune the sound is a pretty cool marvel in this market.

After the audition, I ended up with a pair I found on eBay. I am very happy. With the correct order of filters, you can get some pretty serious bass out the the FLC and they fit the bill quite nicely. I would recommend a listen if possible. They are impressive and retail for $339-ish.

That said, I have heard neither the I03, or the PSB, but I have heard good things about both (take that as you will, we are a pretty passionate, and fickle! group).

I'm very happy with the FLC8S, and would recommend a listen. Best of luck

Money pit, nah this is cheap compared to custom basses - LOL!
Yeah I tried using Comply tips, this really did not increse the bass all that much. The FLC8s looks very tempting.

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #2,502 of 3,265
Money pit, nah this is cheap compared to custom basses - LOL!
Yeah I tried using Comply tips, this really did not increse the bass all that much. The FLC8s looks very tempting.

Lol, yes indeed, there are much more expensive hobbies. But this one kind of creeps up on you. My bank account understands!

As for the FLC8S, this is the first pair of IEM's that I have used where I can reasonably tolerate silicon tips for an extended time, while actually enjoying the sound to boot...my mind is confused by this, because I swear by Comply's. Good luck with the search! :beers:

Feb 2, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #2,503 of 3,265
Lol, yes indeed, there are much more expensive hobbies. But this one kind of creeps up on you. My bank account understands!

As for the FLC8S, this is the first pair of IEM's that I have used where I can reasonably tolerate silicon tips for an extended time, while actually enjoying the sound to boot...my mind is confused by this, because I swear by Comply's. Good luck with the search! :beers:

Indeed there are more expensive hobbies, bass playing while not a career paid for some very fine custom basses... Sadly this hobby will show little profit.

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #2,504 of 3,265
Ok something weird happened with my first pair, dunno how to explain it but here it goes.

After using for a month with Comply Tips, i noticed the Bass from the drivers dying out slowly and yesterday they were actually being sibilant for some tracks to my ears. There also seemed to be some channel imbalance with both the cables. I thought it was just in my head but i decided to order a replacement from Amazon and after receiving them today, i was surprised to find out that the new ones actually sounded different. They sounded more like the ones i felt in love with when i got my P1 a month back. I am by no means a rough user and i try to take care of my IEMs. So it is definitely weird for it to kinda fail just within a month.

Anyone else experience something like this?

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #2,505 of 3,265
Hi Guys, one of the small 'filter grids' fell out and now I have hole in one of my headphones. The shop will not fix it. They instead recommended to buy Comply earphone tips with build in filters.
Problem is that I do not want to walk with completely isolated ears. I would like to have the standard silicon earphone tips WITH filters. Does this exist please? Any tips/ideas? 

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back