MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
Jan 24, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #2,461 of 3,265

I'd take this reply with a grain of salt.  The P1 are 50 ohm and sensitivity of 96 dB/mW

A device with an output of 80 mW into 50 ohms will drive them to an an insanely loud 115 dB.  That's permanent hearing loss levels.

I just fired up my X3 2nd Gen - which has a max output of 200 mW into 32 ohms.  I then measured the output with a calibrated SPL meter using a moderately well recorded track (Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing") with the X3ii at max volume on low gain.  This gave peaks at 99.3 dB and seemed to be averaging around 95dB.  Engaging high gain pushed those peaks over 100 dB.

To get to my normal listening level of around 70dB required 60/120 on low gain - and sounded perfectly well driven.

Hi Brooko, 

I hope all is well. I don't have any testing equipment or such. I only talk based on my opinions. When using fiio x3 with pinnacle. i always used minimum of %80 volume for some songs i wanted to go more than %100 of the volume. but with fiio x3 i had so much ground noise/hiss. So i went to ibasso dx80. Now i still use it about %70-80 of total volume but there are no hiss whatsoever. 

>270 mW (32 Ω/THD+N<1%) this is x3's power output according to fiio.

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #2,462 of 3,265
  This is an evil hobby to have!  

Ain't it the truth
rolleyes.gif

Just waiting on my A4's to get here but nothing wrong with the P1 either, this is a really sweet sounding rig for me
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #2,463 of 3,265

Hi Brooko, 

I hope all is well. I don't have any testing equipment or such. I only talk based on my opinions. When using fiio x3 with pinnacle. i always used minimum of %80 volume for some songs i wanted to go more than %100 of the volume. but with fiio x3 i had so much ground noise/hiss. So i went to ibasso dx80. Now i still use it about %70-80 of total volume but there are no hiss whatsoever. 

Most of the time, the volume knob does not increase power in a linear fashion. Which makes sense, to increase 3db, you need double the power. That makes it tricky to determine how much power is put through at a given volume just going by the position of the knob. I find, for example, that on my DP-X1 in high gain, I listen to the P1's at 132 out of 150. But that doesn't mean I am putting through 132 mW out of the available 150 mW.

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #2,464 of 3,265
So funny story- I ordered the P1 + Q1 DAC/AMP bundle on amazon. ($199)

They forget to add in the Q1. 

I contacted them saying I only received the headphones. They said they were sorry, and that they would refund me the full price ($199) and I could keep the headphones... 

So basically I got a free pair of P1s.

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #2,465 of 3,265

Hi Brooko, 

Depends on the actual output into 50 ohm load - it could be very different.  But I'd imagine you are listening at massively loud volumes.  I'd really suggest turning it down (IIRC earlier you talked out getting headaches?). I fear the advice will fall on deaf ears though (soon quite literally).

I was just pointing out the actual measurable volume using the P1 and a comparable source to the one you quoted.  You can use something far less powerful, and I would really recommend a much lower volume (for your hearing's sake).

Permanent tinnitus is unfortunately no joke - I've lived with it for ~ 20 years now.  Deafness would be immeasurably worse if you are a music lover.

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #2,466 of 3,265

Depends on the actual output into 50 ohm load - it could be very different.  But I'd imagine you are listening at massively loud volumes.  I'd really suggest turning it down (IIRC earlier you talked out getting headaches?). I fear the advice will fall on deaf ears though (soon quite literally).

I was just pointing out the actual measurable volume using the P1 and a comparable source to the one you quoted.  You can use something far less powerful, and I would really recommend a much lower volume (for your hearing's sake).

Permanent tinnitus is unfortunately no joke - I've lived with it for ~ 20 years now.  Deafness would be immeasurably worse if you are a music lover.

i thought headaches were from hiss, could it be because of loud volumes? 

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #2,467 of 3,265

i thought headaches were from hiss, could it be because of loud volumes? 

If you're really listening at the volumes you say you are - then hiss will be the least of your problems.

And you shouldn't get hiss with the P1.  Its a 50ohm dynamic driver, and not sensitive enough to hear the noise floor at normal volumes.  What you are hearing is likely to be:
  1. Poor recording quality
  2. Onset of tinnitus
  3. Combination of both

Yes - turn the volume down.

Get an SPL meter - put your music at your normal listening volume and measure the output.  I guarantee the result will be scary

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #2,468 of 3,265

If you're really listening at the volumes you say you are - then hiss will be the least of your problems.

And you shouldn't get hiss with the P1.  Its a 50ohm dynamic driver, and not sensitive enough to hear the noise floor at normal volumes.  What you are hearing is likely to be:
  1. Poor recording quality
  2. Onset of tinnitus
  3. Combination of both

Yes - turn the volume down.

Get an SPL meter - put your music at your normal listening volume and measure the output.  I guarantee the result will be scary

ok brooko i will get your advice, i will gradually lower volume when listening to rock music. (jazz and such is fine with lower volumes :) )

edit: i have just bought a spl meter.

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #2,469 of 3,265
I've been driving my P1 from my computer/iphone 6s and honestly I'm underwhelmed (compared to the Tennmak pros). I feel like the clarity and soundstage are really lacking.  I have a fiio Q1 on the way. Will the amp really improve things?

I have both and agree. The Tennmak's Pro's are a steal for their price. That said, when properly driven, the P1 is a marvel at their price. My A3 drives them quite nicely through either my 6+ or my Fiio x3ii. Quite the nice sound.

So, don't discount them until you have tried them with a decent amp. It is worth the wait.

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #2,470 of 3,265

I contacted them saying I only received the headphones. They said they were sorry, and that they would refund me the full price ($199) and I could keep the headphones... 

SuWEET, deal! Now get a reasonable amp and you will be good to go.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #2,472 of 3,265
Just tried out my topping nx1 + iphone DAC. Earlier I had tried NX1 + laptop DAC. Wow this sounds alot better now that they're properly powered. They really opened up, the separation seems better as well as the clarity and soundstage. Slightly warmer now with improved bass extension. Q1 Comes tommorow.

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #2,473 of 3,265
Has anyone seen or done impedance measurements for the P1? I know the nominal impedance is 50 ohm, but with all the reports of these being tougher to drive than one would expect, I wonder if they have a different measured impedance or a large impedance spike (as many dynamic drivers do).

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #2,474 of 3,265
  Has anyone seen or done impedance measurements for the P1? I know the nominal impedance is 50 ohm, but with all the reports of these being tougher to drive than one would expect, I wonder if they have a different measured impedance or a large impedance spike (as many dynamic drivers do).

I believe @Brooko has

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #2,475 of 3,265

Why wouldnt they just send you a Q1 and not have to refund you? If they wanted some sort of apology they could give you a $20 discount or something. Sweet get though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back