MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 - $199 Dynamic Driver Flagship *Reviews 2nd Post*
Jan 22, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #2,446 of 3,265
Argh. You guys are plain evil. I strongly considered this one but the one distributor ran out and just happened to answer my question a couple of days late!

How would you compare the two (p1 and a4) when listening to drums, percussive, violins, and female vocals.
Which area? Timbre, weight, transients, and sweetness for vox and violin.
Take your time because I know the A4 is one tricky chameleon. Appreciate the input - TIA

I would have to do some A/B comparisons, especially since its been a while since I listened to my P1's, but the things you are describing are mostly mid to upper frequency sounds, which the P1 really shines with. I think the I would give the nod on detail in the highs to the P1's over the A4's with the caveat that some may find them a bit bright. They don't sound sibilant to me. But as with everything ymmv. From memory, female vocals shine as well as higher percussion and violins. They are on the more neutral side of things than the A4, but with a treble lean. Not nearly as smooth, similar to me to my IT03 from say upper mids up, but the bass feels underrepresented to me. Its there, its nice, its well textured, but not in the quantity I want. It doesnt have any real punch or heft, and as such the music can sound a bit less full.

P1 vs A4 overall... P1 if you are looking for a more neutral (but not entirely) sound with more textured highs and more forward mids, but don't care as much about bass. I also think they are more comfortable than the A4, due to the bean shape and them being smaller overall and are designed to easily be worn over ear or down. The A4 comes out on top if you are looking for a smoother sound, and looking for something more V shaped with significantly more pronounced bass (excluding blue backs). And obviously they are super flexible due to the filters.

Another thing to remember is that the P1's are hard to drive and really do scale better if you have something that can power it properly. A phone just doesnt quite cut it. I could get it to a decent volume if I turned my phone volume almost all the way up, but it just wasnt as clean or as open sounding when powered from something better. So definitely not an iem to get if you are not planning to amp it.

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #2,447 of 3,265
I loved my P1. Sadly the airplane monster ate mine a few weeks ago. I went back to my TF10. The comfort is lacking, but the bigger bass and ease to drive or of my phone have me holding back on buying a new pair.
The A4 could be exactly what am looking for except for concerns about the fit/comfort.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #2,448 of 3,265
I loved my P1. Sadly the airplane monster ate mine a few weeks ago. I went back to my TF10. The comfort is lacking, but the bigger bass and ease to drive or of my phone have me holding back on buying a new pair.
The A4 could be exactly what am looking for except for concerns about the fit/comfort.

You're in luck - it's always an exciting time when good iems are released/available in the market and they won't cost you a kidney.

Me thinks P1, IT03, and A4 are all wonderful contenders to consider. Check out the other thread if you have other enquiries. I just want to see what's out there before I pull the trigger on a Zen 2.0

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #2,449 of 3,265
Argh. You guys are plain evil. I strongly considered this one but the one distributor ran out and just happened to answer my question a couple of days late!

How would you compare the two (p1 and a4) when listening to drums, percussive, violins, and female vocals.
Which area? Timbre, weight, transients, and sweetness for vox and violin.
Take your time because I know the A4 is one tricky chameleon. Appreciate the input - TIA

This is an evil hobby to have!  

I'd say that no matter what configuration you use with the A4, the upper mids and treble are going to sound more polished and vibrant on the P1.  Both IEMs are quick and articulate but there's a certain polish that certain instruments have on the P1.  The presentation is more intimate on the P1, but there's enough stage that it doesn't sound cramped.  

Just doing a quick A/B with Portishead tracks (A4 using Black/Blue and Black/Black) , P1 definitely has more sparkle in all of the areas you listed.  Female vocals, violins, drums and especially high hats.  I can't hear past 18kHz but for me the P1 really never hit the point of being harsh.  They also rely on the source and on pretty heavy amplification to get to sound their best.  P1 need high gain, both on my Fiio E18 and Micca Origen.

With all that said, the A4 really don't fall that far behind in terms of what they can do w/ sound.  They require a lot less power and actually still sound detailed and articulate with low volume while the P1 sound veiled and really not fun at all when you lower the volume.  As you increase the volume, each IEM emphasizes different aspects of the music.  Give the A4 more juice and they start to sound bigger, warmer, bassier and smoother.  Give the P1 juice and you get a brighter, sweeter, more analytical sound in a smaller soundstage.  Both are speedy and snappy in their attack.

Example tracks: Wandering Star and Numb by Portishead.  The high hats have a special shimmer to them that you don't get with the A4 and Beth's voice has a lot more brilliance and presence here.  A4 is still what I would consider detailed here but slightly more liquid and less textured.  

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm not the best at explaining the differences I hear.  I tried to explain differences other than just the sound sig.  I'll do some more A/B another time, and if there's tracks you want to compare let me know.  

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #2,450 of 3,265
This is an evil hobby to have!  

I'd say that no matter what configuration you use with the A4, the upper mids and treble are going to sound more polished and vibrant on the P1.  Both IEMs are quick and articulate but there's a certain polish that certain instruments have on the P1.  The presentation is more intimate on the P1, but there's enough stage that it doesn't sound cramped.  

Just doing a quick A/B with Portishead tracks (A4 using Black/Blue and Black/Black) , P1 definitely has more sparkle in all of the areas you listed.  Female vocals, violins, drums and especially high hats.  I can't hear past 18kHz but for me the P1 really never hit the point of being harsh.  They also rely on the source and on pretty heavy amplification to get to sound their best.  P1 need high gain, both on my Fiio E18 and Micca Origen.

With all that said, the A4 really don't fall that far behind in terms of what they can do w/ sound.  They require a lot less power and actually still sound detailed and articulate with low volume while the P1 sound veiled and really not fun at all when you lower the volume.  As you increase the volume, each IEM emphasizes different aspects of the music.  Give the A4 more juice and they start to sound bigger, warmer, bassier and smoother.  Give the P1 juice and you get a brighter, sweeter, more analytical sound in a smaller soundstage.  Both are speedy and snappy in their attack.

Example tracks: Wandering Star and Numb by Portishead.  The high hats have a special shimmer to them that you don't get with the A4 and Beth's voice has a lot more brilliance and presence here.  A4 is still what I would consider detailed here but slightly more liquid and less textured.  

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm not the best at explaining the differences I hear.  I tried to explain differences other than just the sound sig.  I'll do some more A/B another time, and if there's tracks you want to compare let me know.  

Hey, appreciate the lengthy input; I happen to enjoy some good Portishead myself :D. I think at worst, the A4 is a Jack of trades/king of none -- the best part is it covers so much ground so well it's also outstanding for this price. I'd rather have two mid tier iems than say a 600$ one that is alright, knowing that these 2 iems cover so much ground.
Anyhow I appreciate the input. I think since I own a Shanling M3, I am not gonna worry about needing an additional amp.

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #2,451 of 3,265
Hey, appreciate the lengthy input; I happen to enjoy some good Portishead myself
biggrin.gif
. I think at worst, the A4 is a Jack of trades/king of none -- the best part is it covers so much ground so well it's also outstanding for this price. I'd rather have two mid tier iems than say a 600$ one that is alright, knowing that these 2 iems cover so much ground.
Anyhow I appreciate the input. I think since I own a Shanling M3, I am not gonna worry about needing an additional amp.

You're right about these covering a LOT of ground.  While they're both what I would consider "jack of all trades" they each have their strengths.  Most of all, both are an incredible value for their cost.  

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #2,452 of 3,265
Hey, appreciate the lengthy input; I happen to enjoy some good Portishead myself
biggrin.gif
. I think at worst, the A4 is a Jack of trades/king of none -- the best part is it covers so much ground so well it's also outstanding for this price. I'd rather have two mid tier iems than say a 600$ one that is alright, knowing that these 2 iems cover so much ground.

Since I don't really want to sell my P1 and you're my long-time A4 buddy, I'd be willing to loan you my pair of P1 to see if you like them enough to purchase.

But you have to write a comparison 
L3000.gif

-Collin-

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #2,453 of 3,265
Since I don't really want to sell my P1 and you're my long-time A4 buddy, I'd be willing to loan you my pair of P1 to see if you like them enough to purchase.

But you have to write a comparison :L3000:

-Collin-

Yeah, I'll take you up on the offer. I prefer understanding iems more than dismissing them because they aren't "good enough for my taste". Yeah, funny how I missed out on the last p1 being sold in Canada...but awww shucks, having good head fi buddies is decidedly one of the best part of the forums. Cheers SeeSax

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #2,454 of 3,265
I've been driving my P1 from my computer/iphone 6s and honestly I'm underwhelmed (compared to the Tennmak pros). I feel like the clarity and soundstage are really lacking.  I have a fiio Q1 on the way. Will the amp really improve things?

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #2,455 of 3,265
  I've been driving my P1 from my computer/iphone 6s and honestly I'm underwhelmed (compared to the Tennmak pros). I feel like the clarity and soundstage are really lacking.  I have a fiio Q1 on the way. Will the amp really improve things?

Results out of my iPhone with the P1 were not great. I think they really benefit from more power. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #2,456 of 3,265
Quote: Cutty

this should not even be a question, p1 without enough power is just ok. you NEED to give it power it demands(a power output minimum of 200mw @32ohm)

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #2,458 of 3,265
  The Q1 is 190mw @32ohm, should I be fine?

well it depends on your ears also, i am a loud listener, whenever i listen to music i get headaches. it is enough for power, it always had. but problem is with some devices if you use it on max power it gives great amount of hiss. but q1 is a new device so you should be fine.

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #2,459 of 3,265
  this should not even be a question, p1 without enough power is just ok. you NEED to give it power it demands(a power output minimum of 200mw @32ohm)

I'd take this reply with a grain of salt.  The P1 are 50 ohm and sensitivity of 96 dB/mW

A device with an output of 80 mW into 50 ohms will drive them to an an insanely loud 115 dB.  That's permanent hearing loss levels.

I just fired up my X3 2nd Gen - which has a max output of 200 mW into 32 ohms.  I then measured the output with a calibrated SPL meter using a moderately well recorded track (Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing") with the X3ii at max volume on low gain.  This gave peaks at 99.3 dB and seemed to be averaging around 95dB.  Engaging high gain pushed those peaks over 100 dB.

To get to my normal listening level of around 70dB required 60/120 on low gain - and sounded perfectly well driven.

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #2,460 of 3,265
I have the Q1, and it is fantastic with the P1s. I use it on high gain because it gives me more headroom. The Q1 really takes the shackles off the IEMs and lets them shine. I also have an Xduoo, and I think I like the Q1 better, probably because it's a little more portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back