medusa 5.1, ath-a900, or sennheiser
Oct 22, 2004 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

.warlock.

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of headphones for gaming with good positioning for fps games like raven shield. I dont really want to spend more than 200 dollars but if I have to for a great I may go over my budget a little. Ive read forums on all of these headphones but havent really seen any comparison between them. I dont know which sennheiser I would want, just a pair in my price range. If anyone can help it would be greatly apprectiated. thanks

Oct 22, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 15
I haven't heard the Medusas, the ATH-A900 (or many Sennheisers), but I will echo what the replies will be IF you currently have no headphone amp and want a closed headphone in the ~$200 price range (remember shipping costs also):

ATH-A900. I trust a lot of head-fiers on their words regarding that headphone.

What made you consider the Medusas ?

(and welcome)
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Ok, you stressed the part about gaming very much, but 5.1 headphones is a nice gimick that doesn't work in reality - not optimal at least, but if you want closed headphones, which are fine for gaming too (i guess) - ATH-A900

Oct 22, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 15
I've never heard of medusa either.

My usual recommendations around this price point are the A900s if you want closed, or the Sennheiser 595s if you want open. The senns will probably sound a little better than the A900s, but might require a small amp - not sure on that, try a search if you want to know. A900/595 is most often a question of personal taste rather than which is best. For my money open usually sound better than closed, at the same price point.

Oct 22, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #6 of 15
I've heard that the HD 5x5 series has excellent positioning for games, though I haven't tried them out in games myself. I'd look at the HD 555 in that line, because I tend to go for price
tongue.gif
erformance over performance alone. (This will probably change if I spend too much time here.)

Oct 22, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 15
thanks for all of your help, im pretty much over the 5.1 headphone thing for now(atleast until the technology develops a little) ill read more about the a900 and sennheiser headphones to make my decision. thanks again for all of the help

Oct 22, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 15
As far as ive read from other posts, you need an amp for sennheiser headphones. This is something that makes me lean way towards the ath-a900. Is there some amp that is good for cheap price but not cheap quality?

Oct 22, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by .warlock.
As far as ive read from other posts, you need an amp for sennheiser headphones. This is something that makes me lean way towards the ath-a900. Is there some amp that is good for cheap price but not cheap quality?

A second hand cmoy or pimeta from the for sale forum would probably be fine. Don't take my word for it though, I don't own any of the higher end senns.

Oct 22, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by .warlock.
thanks for all of your help, im pretty much over the 5.1 headphone thing for now(atleast until the technology develops a little) ill read more about the a900 and sennheiser headphones to make my decision. thanks again for all of the help

Oh my! What have you tried? I can't believe you have tried Dolby Headphone [Pioneer SE 800C, SE 1000, or SE XB1] and are still waiting for technology to develop.. It could hardly get better for gaming! The other technologies, like that found in the Sonys, are bogus by comparison.

Oct 22, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 15
HD 5x5s aren't quite as amp-dependent as HD 580s and whatnot are, though of course they'll still sound better with a decent amp. They sound fine straight out of a sound card, so I'd imagine that even just a CMoy would probably make them happy enough (though they should be good enough that, given a decent source, they'll sound better with a PIMETA).

HD 580s or similar, on the other hand, need an amplifier. Well, they don't NEED an amplifier, I guess, but they really, really want one. (Speaking from personal experience for once, they don't sound TERRIBLE straight out of a sound card, but they sure don't sound anything like what they cost, and they're just a waste of cash unamped.) Just adding a CMoy in there will provide a large boost in sound quality, and a PIMETA will increase that boost very noticeably.

Oct 22, 2004 at 11:51 AM Post #15 of 15
I actually own the Speed-Link Medusa 5.1

Firstly, they are VERY VERY comfortable.
Starting Impression was way better than the headphones ive previously owned (Sennheiser EH1430, Optimus Pro XB100) and IMO it sounded better than the HD457 out of the box, but they seriously cannot perform without an audigy card. The Realtek AC'97 didnt hack it. You need an M-Audio Revo to actually get the Subwoofers to work in the speakers because for some reason the Amp you get with them does not really power the subs, though if you swap the centre and sub channels on the extention wiring you get bass, but lose the centre channel to some muffles.
Gaming combined with EAX 3 is a dream to begin with, I gained quite an advantage in Call of Duty as I could tell where my enemies were all the time.
After 200 hours burn in or so, the rear left speaker sort of started to hiss, and now it just distorts in music
frown.gif

The burn in actually has a negative effect on the phones, the drivers loosen and such but the Sound becomes very lazy and flat, and really just puts you to sleep, or keeps you awake with the hissing sound out of the rear left speaker (must have blown due to some serious volume with some metal music)
Im not enjoying these cans at all anymore. They suit the hardcore gamer that really doesnt care about music all too much but it just cuts your heart out for music performance most of the time.
It does sound alright with the lighter music, but nothing special.

Anyway, Im upgrading to some Alessandro MS-1 for music and keeping these around for when my Clan plays in a Call of Duty comp at the local lan.

Nice to come out of lurking too
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back