Mediums focused $200 ~ $350 Headphones
Aug 4, 2013 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Leiker535

Head-Fier
Hi guys, It has been a long while since I thought of doing any upgrade in my rig, but here's the case: I have two main headphones, a Sennheiser HD600 and a Beyerdinamic DT880 600ohms edition, being juiced by a HRT Music Streamer II(the cheaper version) and a Little Dot MKIII. The amp doesn't right match with the Beyerdinamic, I know, but I rarely use it, except in times my HD600 does not work(like now, due to a cable problem that is being fixed). That setup has been able to make me happy so far, but due to my most recent purchase, an in-ear phone(HF5) which is making me rethink my tastes for headphones.

Because of it, I'm not so focused on high or low frequencies anymore, I'm liking more the medium ones. Putting it in simple way: I'm liking more the voices in my musics than anything else. However, even though the quality is not so bad, I can't bear the thought of using in-ear headphones at my PC or turntable, I'm actually afraid of the dangers an peripheral valved amp might do to them; also, I would like to have things that these in-ear headphones can't offer and over-ear phones can, like a wide soundstage, a dry and "punchy" bass and well detailed trembles(I've changed the focus, not became deaf to the other aspects of sound @_@).

I've been considering Grados for quite a while now, but I do not enjoy the fact that they aren't fullsized over-ear phones, and I've been keen on considering that changing my amp to a Schiit( for example) would do me better than changing Headphones, as I've heard that the HD600's sound spectrum varies a lot with different setups(and also for the sake of not acumulating many headphones in my house, I barely use the DT880 when the Sennheiser is working...). I've also considered the highly enjoyed(and hated) K701, and even the Q701.

My music taste vary a lot, but it all is kind of rock based(intruments and voices) despite few exceptions like Animal Collective or other stuff like that. So, what do you guys suggest?

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 2
The Q701 would certainly give you another excellent mid-fi can with a sound signature different from what you have.  It's call card is sound stage and clarity of every musical voice.  In that way it is at or near the opposite side of the continuum from the "sitting on stage with the band" SR Grados.

I'd give them a listen before buying.  I get the impression that you're not yet locked in on what you want next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back