Medium-priced MP3-players - which to choose?
Feb 9, 2005 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Frank M

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

Sorry to bother with "yet another which MP3-player to choose" thread, but I can't decide myself and I need help from those who have experience with these units. And there are not many reviews of this category, only the bigger ones.

I'm thinking of replacing my good old Panasonic discman for an MP3-player - my pockets are not always big enough for it
wink.gif

So then I took a look at MP3-players, but it seems these are pouring out from my monitor, eBay and other shops are so full of them... I dont know which to choose.

What I'm looking for is:
- MP3-player with 512 or 1024 Mb Flash (non-HDD)
- good sound quality
- USB 2.0, but 1.1 or even 1.0 will do
- if it doubles as a PenDrive, that's a plus
- don't need radio and voice-recording, etc
- 100-120 € max. is what I want to spend on it

Unfortunately most shops around here work with ridiculous price gaps, so it looks like I'll get them via eBay.

I've heard good things about the Creative MuVo's newer versions, and there are some V200s on eBay in the price range. Should I go for them?

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 8
I like my Muxo TX (non-FM). Sounds great with my KSC75. LCD display is very intuitive and easy to use. Drag-drop ease of use with windows explorer. Very usefull graphic EQ. I dont use the factory presets (jazz,rock...etc...) though. IMHO the random "click" is not as severe as others will lead you to believe. My sigmatel (SP?) chipset clicks about once every 90 minutes. No USB cable needed.. nice.

Sometimes I use my DT770 with it, so IMHO its headphone circuit is pretty powerful.

I get about 12 hours use on an 850 mah NIMH AAA

My only complaint is the silver paint on the volume buttons wears off, and I wish it had one more EQ slider centered at 25Hz. They have one slider at 16K... why not go the other extreme and center one at 25?

Feb 9, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the reply!

Most probably I'll be using it with a PX100, and with 32 Ohms and 102dBs efficiency, I think even the V200 will drive it well. But the MuVo TX looks good, as well - you made it even harder to decide
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 8
Seriously consider the iPod shuffle if you don't need a screen (i.e., if you're going to be using this a lot while you're engaged in sports or other activities). It has lots of oomph in terms of volume, excellent sound quality, and by most firsthand accounts it gives 14-16 hours of usage on one charge. You also get seamless integration with iTunes, the best music management software in the business. The music management software is too often ignored by would-be buyers but it can make or break your enjoyment of a player.

Feb 9, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 8
Unfortunately, the iPod shuffle is hard to come by on eBay, and the local dealers sell it for much more... if it's available at all, there's a shortage of it here, as well

Feb 9, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank M
Unfortunately, the iPod shuffle is hard to come by on eBay, and the local dealers sell it for much more... if it's available at all, there's a shortage of it here, as well

IMHO its in short supply / high demand right now... give it a few months for the hype to die down. if you can wait that long.

Garrett

Feb 10, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 8
Im in the same boat as you, accept my budget is even less. But right now im drooling over Iaudio's players. I heard that iriver's ifp-9xx are really good too, in terms of sq. Goddamit those are so damn expensive. why can't they just take away the color screens and charge less?

Feb 10, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigwill
Im in the same boat as you, accept my budget is even less. But right now im drooling over Iaudio's players. I heard that iriver's ifp-9xx are really good too, in terms of sq. Goddamit those are so damn expensive. why can't they just take away the color screens and charge less?

I was looking at them, too, but they are not available here, neither do they pop up on eBAy
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back