Medium gain sounds much better on Micro Amp????
Feb 19, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Edit to be more helpful: I find that running a source from a relatively low output setting (say, 60% of its possible output) can go a long way to correct channel imbalances, op-amp clipping/distortion, etc. from the source. So, run it relatively low into your amplifier then use the amplifier to bring that signal up to volume. You'll generally end up with the best possible sound quality this way, because you're not pushing the source's (usually weak) power output section too hard and clipping.

I just bought a Micro Amp and had been wondering at what volume I should set my iPod for optimal audio quality. I might have overlooked it, but I didn't see this information in HeadRoom's documentation or website. Suffice to say, then, this thread has been very helpful.

Mahalo.

Feb 19, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #17 of 19
Well you really want to be using a line out. That is either on the dock, or through a third party accessory such as Sendstation's pocket line out, the Sik Ram, or the TURBO dock.

But if you are using the headphone output, 70% to 80% is the usual recommendation.

Regarding this thread, I was talking to Mike at HeadRoom (head service technician who I've been bothering with ephemera for far too long) who did actually agree that Medium gain did seem to sound better. I did some further testing and it's also better on my balanced home. It can't really be opamp stability because high gain sounds worse again.

Anyway he said he'll look into it and talk to their engineer, so when I hear something I'll let you know.

Feb 19, 2006 at 9:09 AM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Well you really want to be using a line out. That is either on the dock, or through a third party accessory such as Sendstation's pocket line out, the Sik Ram, or the TURBO dock.

Thanks so much for that information. Clearly, this newbie had no idea such products existed.
orphsmile.gif

Feb 19, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
Does your Micro have the Micro or Desktop module? Perhaps it has to do with the stability of the Op Amp? In another thread, kin0kin stated:

Mine has the Desktop module
smily_headphones1.gif

'tis very interesting that somebody from HeadRoom seems to notice this also..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back