Medium Format Camera suggestion...
Dec 4, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #16 of 20
I can't help but notice the disturbing lack of Mamiya RB67 is this thread. It's not nearly as small or light as cameras already mentioned, but I've had the great pleasure of using one at school and I'm trying to convince my fiancee to get me one for christmas.
A used RB setup can be had for 300$, I wouldn't expect to find and medium format in a pawn shop tho. I've only ever seen broken crown graphics and polaroid land cameras.

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #17 of 20
B&W film is easy to process at home. You just need the chemicals, developing tanks, timer, and spare room that you can completely darken. Find out how to dispose of the fixer in your area. As for color, find a decent lab that maintains their chemicals on a regular basis, and develop your film there. Developing slide film might be harder, and you probably have to mail that stuff out. It's important that they maintain their chemistry, or else the film will lose density and overall color reproduction. As far as film recommendations, that's really up to you to experiment with. I prefer Fuji's lineup of films, particularly the Reala, Pro160S and Pro400H color negative films. Haven't tried slide films all that much, but Velvia 50 is quite popular. For B&W, I like the Kodak's offerings, particularly Tri-X 400 and Plus-X 125.

Dec 15, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #19 of 20
The wonderful thing about medium format is that every single one of the format is fun, be it 6 x 4.5, 6 x 6, 6 x 7 or anything above 6 x 7. Every single one is kind of different from the typical dimension from the 35mm or digital (which emulate the 35mm dimensions in every possible way).

I loved how the 645 forced you to think in the portrait format most of the time; how 6 x 6 forced you into a very uncomfortable composition; how comfortable it is to frame a 6 x 7 (being rectangular without being a normal 4:3 form); and how the 6 x 12 and 6 x 15 give a spectacular panoramic view.

Dec 20, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwglue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mind listing some?
biggrin.gif

Anyways I'll hit up my local pawn-camera shop and see what they have.
So my two choices so far:
Hasselblad 500
Bronica Gs-1
okay. one more question. does anyone have a description or a link that describes the different types of films and what the picture turns out as color and forgiveness wise?

All the makers mentioned above have professional builds, supported with great glass, but have been used and abused by the professional that is dumping his gear for digital. The first thing to go are the seals, then fungus grows in the lens, the shutter get sticky, you end up with a $200 paper weight.

To see different films go to Flickr and search the groups. There seems to be a group for every film imaginable. Try; Kodachrome, Tmax, Portra, E-6, C-41, HP5, Neopan, Velvia, Provia, Astia...

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Medium format films are commonly known as 120 or 220 film.

Warning: 220 film is becoming quite rare so do not buy a camera with a 220 "Back."

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The wonderful thing about medium format is that every single one of the format is fun, be it 6 x 4.5, 6 x 6, 6 x 7 or anything above 6 x 7. Every single one is kind of different from the typical dimension from the 35mm or digital (which emulate the 35mm dimensions in every possible way).

I loved how the 645 forced you to think in the portrait format most of the time; how 6 x 6 forced you into a very uncomfortable composition; how comfortable it is to frame a 6 x 7 (being rectangular without being a normal 4:3 form); and how the 6 x 12 and 6 x 15 give a spectacular panoramic view.

The Mamiya RB-67 can change formats by changing the back.

For inquiring minds go to APUG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back