Medium Flex Sleeve Stuck in Ear, Ideas?
May 8, 2004 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

BranMuffins

Head-Fier
So I weas listening to my E3C's last night and I woke up this morning with a medium flew sleeve stuck in my ear, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on getting it out. Yes, I am an idiot.

May 8, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 22
Reason #143 why I don't like canal/bud phones.

I am not sure of the design of these headphones, but can you put the phone back in your ear just slightly, so that it barely fits into the foam, then press the phone against one side of your ear and pull out?

Do you have a loved one that wouldn't mind sticking a bobby pin in your ear or something? I am guessing the key is to get something into the middle of the foam where the hole is and then -- at an angle -- pull it out.

Good luck man!
eek.gif

May 8, 2004 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BranMuffins
So I weas listening to my E3C's last night and I woke up this morning with a medium flew sleeve stuck in my ear, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on getting it out. Yes, I am an idiot.

I have that happen to me when I use the E2 flex sleeve with my EX71. Most of the times I can just grab the edge of the sleeve and pull it out. If not, then I use the 1/4" plug of my headphone to get it out. Try to grab the edges of the sleeves and pull it out first. If not, then you may need something to get it out like a clip or something. Be extra careful. Didn't you say you were some sort of idiot?
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2004 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 22
DO NOT TRY TO REINSERT DRIVER INTO SLEEVE!!!

It will drive the sleeve into your ear/eardrum...

Go find a friend with a pair of Hemostats, or one with a long ...er roach clip, and have them use a bright light and the hemostats to remove the sleeve/foamie.

Good Luck

May 8, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 22
Yikes! Don't use a bobby pin unless you've got surgeon's hands!

If you have tweezers and are very gentle (I would suggest getting someone else with good eyes and very steady hands to do it), you could probably get ahold of the stalk where the driver entered the flex sleeve and pull it out. Whatever you do, be careful...and if you can't get it out easily, see a doctor.
smily_headphones1.gif

How did you manage to do this anyway? Now you've got me paranoid about my canalphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffreybar
Yikes! Don't use a bobby pin unless you've got surgeon's hands!

If you have tweezers and are very gentle (I would suggest getting someone else with good eyes and very steady hands to do it), you could probably get ahold of the stalk where the driver entered the flex sleeve and pull it out. Whatever you do, be careful...and if you can't get it out easily, see a doctor.
smily_headphones1.gif

How did you manage to do this anyway? Now you've got me paranoid about my canalphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good tip

How in the hell did you manage to stick it in your ear so firm that you could pull the E3 nozzle out and not the sleeve? Wow, I hope you did not pour cement in your ears prior to sticking the E3.

May 8, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
DO NOT TRY TO REINSERT DRIVER INTO SLEEVE!!!

It will drive the sleeve into your ear/eardrum...

Go find a friend with a pair of Hemostats, or one with a long ...er roach clip, and have them use a bright light and the hemostats to remove the sleeve/foamie.

Good Luck

That's the ticket.

May 8, 2004 at 3:06 PM Post #8 of 22
Just a thought...

Would a little warm vegtable oil or baby oil help? Maybe, lay on your side and apply a couple of drops, trying to let it seep along the edge of the sleeve?

May 8, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 22
That friend should have 20/20 vision and good hands still. I know nobody that qualify. They are a bunch of drunks
etysmile.gif

May 8, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
Just a thought...

Would a little warm vegtable oil or baby oil help? Maybe, lay on your side and apply a couple of drops, trying to let it seep along the edge of the sleeve?

Actually, I've heard mayonnaise and peanut butter will do the trick...

eek.gif

May 8, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffreybar
Actually, I've heard mayonnaise and peanut butter will do the trick...

eek.gif

I've heard of using peanutbutter to pull out stuck contact lenses, but never had to try it. The idea is that the lens will stck to the peanutbutter. I wouldn't expect it to have enough stickiness to pull out an earplug however. I kinda think it would make things worse.

eek.gif

May 8, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #13 of 22
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, so I was able to get it out with a pair of good tweezers. So, its all good now.

Im not really sure how it happened but I was drunk as a skunk last night and I woke up with it stuck in there. So obviously my good friend Mr Gin and Tonic had a large part to play in getting it stuck in my ear.

May 8, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, so I was able to get it out with a pair of good tweezers. So, its all good now.

Im not really sure how it happened but I was drunk as a skunk last night and I woke up with it stuck in there. So obviously my good friend Mr Gin and Tonic had a large part to play in getting it stuck in my ear.

uh-oh...

/me thinks he had better lock up his canalphones when he's drinking from now on.

May 8, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Hey, thanks for the tip! Now I know how to get the ultimate seal with my ER-6's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back