Medicine to soothe throat?
Jan 26, 2008 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
Yeah... I'm in the throngs of a sickness atm, and I'm sure my throat's gonna go to hell real soon. I'm taking regular ol' dayquil and ricola, and they're becoming less effective. Are there any good sprays/medicines to alleviate the ouchness? (actual experience preferred)

EDIT: As for pretzels, they do nothing but curb my hunger for delicious warm pastries.

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 72
Halls Oxygen lozenges are the only thing that really work for me when I have a sore throat. They taste pretty decent, too.

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
churros

I'm not putting that crap in my mouth.

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 72
A home remedy I found helpful was to mix about a cup of warm water with 2 tablespoons of salt, and then gurgle the solution as deeply in your throat as possible without swallowing.

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #11 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by greydragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A home remedy I found helpful was to mix about a cup of warm water with 2 tablespoons of salt, and then gurgle the solution as deeply in your throat as possible without swallowing.

QFT!

Chasing it with some hot tea wouldn't hurt either.

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 72
Edit: Doh! greydragon made the same suggestion.

This is something that will give you lasting relief - much better than the throat sprays.

Mix salt with hot tap water. Not super hot, drinkable hot. Use a lot of salt. It should be by far the saltiest thing you've ever tasted.

Gargle with it. Gargle as long as you can stand it and spit it out. Do it three times.

It's unpleasant to do, but the effects are far more lasting than a spritz of benzocaine.

I learned this one from my father, who told me to make it as salty as i could stand it and as hot as i can stand it. Don't make it so hot that you burn yourself, though.

I also like an herbal tea mixture of mint, licorice, slippery elm bark, and echinacia. After I've washed the salty taste out of my mouth.

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #13 of 72
I always make a weak cup of tea, then squeeze some lemon juice in with a big dollop of honey. I also take a paracetamol (or similar) with it and it seems to work for me.

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #14 of 72
Hot and Sour soup from your favorite Chinese restaurant. Nothing helps me more than this - AND it tastes great!

When I can't have that, I suck on Halls spearmint cough drops.

GAD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back