MediaMonkey won't play music?
Sep 21, 2013 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

johnp9723

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have had mediamonkey for a week now and like it alot and was going to buy the gold version but yesterday after updating iTunes and Quicktime mediamonkey won't play any of my songs it just grays them out and then quickly skips to the next song doing the same thing over and over.

I tried everything i could find on every forum about the subject for 4-5 hours last night and it still will not work. 

So i figured i would put a ticket in on media monkey support but you have to be signed in first before you can do that. Well i have not registered yet so i go to register and it won't let me it just says, (SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './mm_phpbb3new/phpbb_captcha_photo' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact Board Administrator if this problem persists.

So i send and email to mediamonkey support and this is what they responded with, 
support@mediamonkey.com
3:41 PM (1 hour ago) 
cleardot.gif

​
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
to me

cleardot.gif

This mailbox is inactive.

MediaMonkey support is handled directly via our website at:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/index.php?_m=tickets&_a=submit

Thank you.

The MediaMonkey team

Well if i click the link it just sends me to the page where i have to sign in to write up a support ticket which brings me right back to the problem that i sent them an email for in the first place: not being able to register so i can send a support ticket.

So i have 2 questions, first question is: why is mediamonkey not working? Is it because of the iTunes/quicktime update?
second question is: how do i register if there system won't let me? Which means i can't send a support ticket.

I guess i have a third question: Why the heck would anybody pay 25 bucks for this or even use mediamonkey in the first place if you have to deal with issues like this all the time? I have never once had a problem with itunes and its free. yet mediamonkey screws up after just one week of use. Don't get me wrong i like media monkey and prefer it to itunes and would pay the 25 dollars for the gold version but i won't do that if i have to put up with problems like this all the time.

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 11
Hey guys, I have had mediamonkey for a week now and like it alot and was going to buy the gold version but yesterday after updating iTunes and Quicktime mediamonkey won't play any of my songs it just grays them out and then quickly skips to the next song doing the same thing over and over.

Well, when you run an update on a program that uses the same data/files as a 2nd program, and then the 2nd program doesn't work, don't you think you might should look to the first program as causing the problem? LOL

I bet iTunes (or you) did something to your music files. When Media Monkey greys out a song, that means it's no longer able to find it at the location it has listed in its database with the file name it has listed. Try rescanning your library in Media Monkey. Report back what you discover.

I guess i have a third question: Why the heck would anybody pay 25 bucks for this or even use mediamonkey in the first place if you have to deal with issues like this all the time?

I don't think anybody would buy such a program. But most people wouldn't jump to the conclusions have so quickly after one problem and then project there are going to be problems like that all the time :rolleyes:

Sep 22, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 11
Well, when you run an update on a program that uses the same data/files as a 2nd program, and then the 2nd program doesn't work, don't you think you might should look to the first program as causing the problem? LOL

I bet iTunes (or you) did something to your music files. When Media Monkey greys out a song, that means it's no longer able to find it at the location it has listed in its database with the file name it has listed. Try rescanning your library in Media Monkey. Report back what you discover.
I don't think anybody would buy such a program. But most people wouldn't jump to the conclusions have so quickly after one problem and then project there are going to be problems like that all the time
rolleyes.gif

It wasn't hard to jump to conclusions about mediamonkey considering i have been using itunes for 9 years without a single problem. Mediamonkey 1 week and something happened that made it not work. Yes it was my own fault because i didn't know that it uses quicktime to play music and i downloaded an update to quicktime while listening to mediamonkey. Well i just found this out about mediamonkey using quicktime so i figured that had to be it so i deleted itunes, quicktime and mediamonkey and redownloaded all of them and tried it and it worked fine. 

Sep 22, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 11

It wasn't hard to jump to conclusions about mediamonkey considering i have been using itunes for 9 years without a single problem. Mediamonkey 1 week and something happened that made it not work. 

I only use iTunes to sync my iPad, and all audio on it are for FLAC Player (which works differently from iTunes audio sync), so what I do is I've instructed iTunes to use an empty folder as its database for music files (and disabled it autoscanning my library). I learned this after I encountered the same problems with audio disappearing from Media Monkey, even it they're still in the same folder.

It wasn't hard to come to conclusions about iTunes also when I had my first iPod (used, didn't come with a manual) and it took me a couple of hours to figure out how to put music in it. I never used the "Network" version MiniDiscs so I was pretty much - and still am - stuck with "Drag n' Drop," but my SGS3 with MediaMOnkey as music server had no trouble with track tags and album art, even if auto-tagged by MM from the Web. My iPad on FLACPlayer can't find a lot of the albums despite tagging and syncing along with the album one at a time. And when I just installed it in a new laptop, I put it in after MediaMonkey and didn't give it a separate audio folder (as I had some background music tracks on MP3), and I got that same problem with Media Monkey losing albums every time I open it.

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #5 of 11

I only use iTunes to sync my iPad, and all audio on it are for FLAC Player (which works differently from iTunes audio sync), so what I do is I've instructed iTunes to use an empty folder as its database for music files (and disabled it autoscanning my library). I learned this after I encountered the same problems with audio disappearing from Media Monkey, even it they're still in the same folder.

It wasn't hard to come to conclusions about iTunes also when I had my first iPod (used, didn't come with a manual) and it took me a couple of hours to figure out how to put music in it. I never used the "Network" version MiniDiscs so I was pretty much - and still am - stuck with "Drag n' Drop," but my SGS3 with MediaMOnkey as music server had no trouble with track tags and album art, even if auto-tagged by MM from the Web. My iPad on FLACPlayer can't find a lot of the albums despite tagging and syncing along with the album one at a time. And when I just installed it in a new laptop, I put it in after MediaMonkey and didn't give it a separate audio folder (as I had some background music tracks on MP3), and I got that same problem with Media Monkey losing albums every time I open it.

That's cool. I did have a problem with my first ipod trying to figure out how to sync it. It was especially hard considering it needed a USB 2.0 and our computer back then was only USB 1.0. I really like Media Monkey though. I prefer it over itunes. It did load all my music and album art really fast and it looks great especially since you can choose different skins and the sound is better than itunes. 

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #6 of 11
It wasn't hard to jump to conclusions about mediamonkey considering i have been using itunes for 9 years without a single problem. Mediamonkey 1 week and something happened that made it not work. Yes it was my own fault because i didn't know that it uses quicktime to play music and i downloaded an update to quicktime while listening to mediamonkey. Well i just found this out about mediamonkey using quicktime so i figured that had to be it so i deleted itunes, quicktime and mediamonkey and redownloaded all of them and tried it and it worked fine. 

That's called jumping to conclusions. LOL I've been using MediaMonkey for about as long. It is not prone to problems any more than iTunes is (which, btw, was prone to problems on some Windows machines with the earliest iPod versions).

Now, what do you mean MediaMonkey uses Quicktime? I don't even have Quicktime (nor iTunes) installed on my computer with MediaMonkey. Now MM4 has a plugin (.dll) file for playing AAC or mov. Perhaps that plugin comes from Apple (I don't know). I believe it now comes as part of MM4s codec pack (did not in MM3, but not sure how I got it). But you don't even have to have that dll installed unless you are playing songs in Apple's file formats. MediaMonkey works fine for playing back, mp3, flac, wav, and other formats without that audio codec.

If I had to guess, most likely your problem stems from how iTunes controls your music library/files on your computer. Either the update you did implemented some DRM that prevented MediaMonkey from seeing the folder or files. Or you have iTunes automated file/folder naming system enabled, and the update caused it to change file and/or folder names slightly, which would mean that they are no longer in the location that MediaMonkey knows about.

If it was related to the Quicktime update, then perhaps MediaMonkey is sharing the dll file with Quicktime because you already had Quicktime installed on your computer before MM4, and Quicktime changed the codec so that it would no longer work with MediaMonkey--but that's just a shot in the dark, and it should only affect Apple file formats because the codec is only used with them. If that was the case, then you might can copy that dll into MediaMonkey's program files so that it is not affected by future Quicktime updates.

Sep 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 11

That's cool. I did have a problem with my first ipod trying to figure out how to sync it. It was especially hard considering it needed a USB 2.0 and our computer back then was only USB 1.0. I really like Media Monkey though. I prefer it over itunes. It did load all my music and album art really fast and it looks great especially since you can choose different skins and the sound is better than itunes. 

The thing with Apple is you actually really have to understand how their kind of software works - different strokes for different folks - and also to some extent, actually buy into their marketing. I'm not going to steer this thread astray by going into the details, but suffice to say my Mac friends' definition of "ancient" and "innovative" clash with my idea of "straightforward."

That's called jumping to conclusions. LOL I've been using MediaMonkey for about as long. It is not prone to problems any more than iTunes is (which, btw, was prone to problems on some Windows machines with the earliest iPod versions).

I also never had any real problems with MediaMonkey, except for when I installed iTunes and they shared the same darned audio directory, and when MonkeyMote on my iPad can't detect it (then it did, then I haven't been able to make it happen again). In both cases, an Apple software was involved - BUT if one were using only Apple hardware and software I imagine it would work smoothly, provided you like how they work.

Sep 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 11

Now, what do you mean MediaMonkey uses Quicktime? 

I don't know like i said i have only been using it 1 week i am still very new to MediaMonkey but what i mean is i deleted itunes and everything that is associated with it (quicktime) and then tried to play MediaMonkey and it said it can't play because it needs quicktime to play. Thats what MediaMonkey said it was a MediaMonkey pop up.

I'll also say this again. I like MediaMonkey and prefer it to iTunes. I'm not trying to bash MediaMonkey i am just new to it and it upset me that something as little as an update to another program made it stop working. I don't know maybe it wasn't even that i don't know.

Sep 22, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 11
I'll also say this again. I like MediaMonkey and prefer it to iTunes. I'm not trying to bash MediaMonkey i am just new to it and it upset me that something as little as an update to another program made it stop working. I don't know maybe it wasn't even that i don't know.

Now you know. It's the Apple products you need to be upset with over that problem :)

In both cases, an Apple software was involved - BUT if one were using only Apple hardware and software I imagine it would work smoothly, provided you like how they work.

Yeah, I'm sure iTunes fine now. There were a lot of people that problems with the first generation or so Ipods getting iTunes to work well with Windows. But I can't imagine that is an issue now.

Sep 22, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #10 of 11

The thing with Apple is you actually really have to understand how their kind of software works - different strokes for different folks - and also to some extent, actually buy into their marketing. I'm not going to steer this thread astray by going into the details, but suffice to say my Mac friends' definition of "ancient" and "innovative" clash with my idea of "straightforward."

Yes i know what you mean, sometimes its hard to do things on an apple that are very easy to do on a PC. But there is stuff with Apple that is nice especially for someone who doesn't know how to or doesn't want to change stuff on their computer. I have both apple and PC. When something goes wrong with a pc you have to go in and try to find what caused it just like what happened to me with MM but with apple i have never had something like that happen everything works together better but there is a downside to that. I like both and there are advantages to both. With apple i like how well everything works together with pc i like how open it is and how easy it is to go in and change things or add plug-ins or what ever you like to do. The new apples with intel chips will run whatever you want though, you can run windows on it if you want or Linux.

Sep 22, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #11 of 11
Now you know. It's the Apple products you need to be upset with over that problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I'm sure iTunes fine now. There were a lot of people that problems with the first generation or so Ipods getting iTunes to work well with Windows. But I can't imagine that is an issue now.

Yeah that is the crappy part about apple. Their stuff doesn't play well with others. They are like an only child that doesn't know how to share. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back