Media Player Options for FLAC?
May 11, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #17 of 28
Anyone know the output sample rate? Wondering if the WDTV does anything to degrade the sound of a flac.

May 11, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #18 of 28
I have been using foobar2000 for years but just tried JRiver and I am pretty impressed. Keeping it for now
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Western Digital's WD TV plays FLAC (via external HDD/Flashdrive. Might be scorned by the purists, but it sounds just fine through optical (or line) out through my stereo, at least I can't tell the difference between that and the original CD, and frees my computer up for the computing...

Would you please explain the detail how to set up the WDTV + HDD (Holding Flac/MP3) to skip the PC? I LOVE to do the same for my music files. I only have headphone and DAC/Headphone amp is on its way.

Do you use your TV to browsing the music files? Or...

May thanks!
L3000.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by meta21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you please explain the detail how to set up the WDTV + HDD (Holding Flac/MP3) to skip the PC? I LOVE to do the same for my music files. I only have headphone and DAC/Headphone amp is on its way.

Do you use your TV to browsing the music files? Or...

May thanks!
L3000.gif

I'm jumping into this thread to report that I purchased the WDTV a month or two back to use strictly as a flac music player, to provide a more portable, computer-free supplement to my Squeezebox. It works fine except it doesn't (yet?) have gapless playback. It feeds to my dac then headphone amplifier via an optical cable. Another drawback is that as I am using as its display the screen of a portable DVD player, because of the small size of the screen the listing of the titles of my music items appears in fairly small type and can be difficult to read. Many members of the WDTV users forum (WDTV Forum - WDTV Media Player - Index) are trying to get WD to provide gapless playback in their next firmware upgrade, but I think I'm the only one seeking a larger type face for the music listings.

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ascherjim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm jumping into this thread to report that I purchased the WDTV a month or two back to use strictly as a flac music player, to provide a more portable, computer-free supplement to my Squeezebox. It works fine except it doesn't (yet?) have gapless playback. It feeds to my dac then headphone amplifier via an optical cable. Another drawback is that as I am using as its display the screen of a portable DVD player, because of the small size of the screen the listing of the titles of my music items appears in fairly small type and can be difficult to read. Many members of the WDTV users forum (WDTV Forum - WDTV Media Player - Index) are trying to get WD to provide gapless playback in their next firmware upgrade, but I think I'm the only one seeking a larger type face for the music listings.

As Western Digital still does not seem to care about gapless playback (the new WD HD TV Live also does not support it), is there an alternative product that could do the job (apart from a PC)?

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #22 of 28
Software helps and from what I tested Foobar2000 sounds very good. The thing is that Foobar2000 wasn't my cup of tea. I use Mediamonkey which has nice adjustable equalizers and sounds good for me on the standard/neutral equalizer. I have two extra settings which add 5 and 10 decibels. My laptop and headphones do the rest.

I have yet to experiment with amplifiers.

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #23 of 28
Sorry to bring back a dead thread, but I'm looking for some options.

I've always used VLC but I think it's giving me some issues. Long story short, I hear a crackling on some highs when I listen carefully using FLAC->E7->E9->W5000. However when I do the same exact song with similiar volume on iPhone->FLAC PLAYER-> E7-> W5000 I dont hear it. I know it may look like its the E9 but I have a feeling it may be VLC. I dont really like Fubar on windows is there another option for Flac that isn't foobar or winamp (its been trash since AOL bought them) or vlc?

Jul 10, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #24 of 28
Jul 10, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #25 of 28
Thanks! I'll look into these. Like I said, I'm hoping it's the media player and not my relatively new hardware. We'll see.

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #27 of 28
I'll check that out too. There arn't many decent options for OSX it seems. Thanks for your help.

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #28 of 28
Sorry to bother but I need more suggestions for OSX- I'm honest to god getting static in VLC. 
I tried a program called play but it's not playing FLACs for some reason when it is suppose to.
Any suggestions? The ones suggested above were all Windows solutions.

EDIT:

Disregard this, apparently the official FLAC homepage has a listing of about 4 or so for OSX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back