Media Organization questions
Nov 5, 2014 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

RugbyPlayer

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, 

I have a few challenges that im looking for advice to overcome. 

I didnt recently start ripping multiple copies of my music until recently (right now i rip all my music into .flac, .mp3 and a master .wav file that i keep backed up).

Part of my music collection because of this i only have in .mp3 format, and some of it is in flac, but my recent rips i have both .flac and .mp3's

Im needing to find a way to copy my music to my player (dx90) where it copies all of the music in flac if there is a flac version, but if not it copies the .mp3. Reripping the collection isnt a small task (have close to 500 gb's worth of mp3s alone) so as im able to replace my mp3's with flac i will but for the time being this is a problem. 

I do have it in seperate directories, my mp3s are all kept in one folder the flac in another, and i cant really consolidate them in a way that really gives me the seperate copies that i would like.

I also had a question regarding genres, right now i use dbpoweramp to rip them and just let it assign whatever genre is in the database, but i would like a way to classify music into what genre I consider it for easier browsing on my player. Anyone have some recommendations?

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 3

1 I didnt recently start ripping multiple copies of my music until recently (right now i rip all my music into .flac, .mp3 and a master .wav file that i keep backed up).

2 I do have it in seperate directories, my mp3s are all kept in one folder the flac in another, and i cant really consolidate them in a way that really gives me the seperate copies that i would like.

3 I also had a question regarding genres, right now i use dbpoweramp to rip them and just let it assign whatever genre is in the database, but i would like a way to classify music into what genre I consider it for easier browsing on my player. Anyone have some recommendations?

Ad 1: I'm wondering why you rip to 3 different formats.
Tagging WAV is a known problem.
if you do so using dBpoweramp, it is tagged right but in a way not necessarily readable for a lot of media players.
A good test is to take a WAV, copy it to another computer and try to load it in a media player like WMP or iTunes.
Fair change you miss a lot of tags.

Support for FLAC is good
It can be tagged including cover art.
It also have a checksum. You can run FLAC –t FileToTest.FLAC
This enable you to verify the integrity of your archive

If you rip to both MP3 and FLAC you have to maintain both.
Most of the time we need a MP3 version for devices where storage space is limited.
Most media players support transcoding.
You select the files you want to transfer to a portable and it is converted to MP3 on the fly

I recommend to rip to FLAC only.

Ad 2: Google a little on duplicates.
Some media players offer smart list to detect them.

Ad 3 This is a manual job, Use the media player to assign a genre to your liking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back