Media Monkey - Anybody using it?
Feb 26, 2007 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Minimauled

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using the free version of Media Monkey and it's a lot easier than Foobar. I was wondering if anybody has paid for the full version and what their comments were.

My one main complaint with the free version is that you have to delete your files and reload every time you add a cd...unless I'm doing something wrong.

Feb 26, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 15
I am using Media Monkey but only the free version. And I agree that it is easier than foobar. I have a problem with programs that want you to learn a scripting language to make things look nice.

Are you ripping your cds to your computer? I'll have to test this but don't think you should have to go to that trouble. Are you setting up playlists with your music?

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 15
I like MediaMonkey the best too but only use the free version right now. If you add new files to your library then you do have to rescan the folders unless you fork out the money for the pay for version, then it will add new files automatically to your library. I might purchase it one of these days.

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapqueen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using Media Monkey but only the free version. And I agree that it is easier than foobar. I have a problem with programs that want you to learn a scripting language to make things look nice.

Are you ripping your cds to your computer? I'll have to test this but don't think you should have to go to that trouble. Are you setting up playlists with your music?

I'm not sure what you mean by "I'll have to test this..." I used to rip using EAC but now I use dbPower amp.

I don't have playlists. For some reason, I think when you add a new cd you have to empty all the files in Media Monkey so the playlists would be erased. I believe this isn't the case for the bought version. I have tagged my music properly so sometimes i'll play just jazz, or just 70's rock.

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using Mediamonkey Gold, and don't really see the reason to upgrade. I don't remember what you get from upgrading, but it's nothing too special.

What happens when you rip a new cd? Without the gold version you have to delete all the files and re-insert them.

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 15
I purchased MM Gold and I'm happy with it. I don't really know what the difference is between the free and the purchased versions other than lifetime upgrades (which is available free anyway), and the ability to take advantage of the file monitor option. This allows you to have MM automatically scan for new audio files every time it opens (if you choose). I'm sure there's other differences tho'.

I like MM quite a bit.

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #10 of 15
I too am a convert to dbpoweramp from EAC - which is not playing nice on my Vista Business system. Something with the permissions and the profiles. That and the firewall and freedb. dbPowerAmp is working fine. I have the paid for version of Sveta, and it is great at putting my flac files onto my iPod as ALAC files.

Foobar is worth a little bit of effort to use. There actually is a great thread on this board on making it very palatable, and pretty easy to do. Everytime I try WinAmp, MM, or the iRiver program, I end up mad, and figure out how to make foobar do what I wanted to in the first place.

I have been playing with a new MacBookPro - I have not found a good FLAC player for it, and it lacks enough disk space for my library anyways. I do use MAX to rip to MP3 (lame V0) and play back with iTunes.

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 15
Does MediaMonkey support gapless and replaygain? I might check it out then.

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too am a convert to dbpoweramp from EAC - which is not playing nice on my Vista Business system. Something with the permissions and the profiles. That and the firewall and freedb. dbPowerAmp is working fine. I have the paid for version of Sveta, and it is great at putting my flac files onto my iPod as ALAC files.

Can you describe the process of Sveta for me? I convert to AAC files for my ipod using dbPower amp music converter (you have to buy it) but i need to first convert the flac files, then load to my ipod. Is Sveta the same idea or something worth looking into?

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #13 of 15
MediaMonkey here to. I compared Foobar with MediaMonkey both with their respective asio plugins (MediaMonkey's uses WinAmp's plugins) and ended up prefering the sound of MM.

Mar 2, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #14 of 15
After being frustrated with a number of media library/players I came across MM and instantly fell in love. I even purchased the Gold version especially for the file monitoring feature. However, I wasn't happy with how the file monitoring worked. Every time you started up MM, it would scan your designated folder(s) that housed your music. Well this scan could take a couple of minutes depending on the size of your library. I got kind of frustrated and eventually turned it off. The other thing I didn't like was how it did gapless playback. I had to tinker with it quite a bit to get gapless.

I then turned to Foobar and I've been a convert ever since. With the Explorer Tree panel - instant updates on any changes I make to my music library. And seamless gapless playback right off the bat. Yes, it takes a bit of tweaking to get it looking like how you want it but I didn't spend that much time on it. I really don't care what my player looks like. I'm not staring at it while my music is playing. I just want it to work and have an easy interface to queue up music which is exactly what I get from Foobar.

I'm not bashing MM. I think it is a great product especially that you can get it for free. Just didn't meet my needs.

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #15 of 15
Sveta starts with you pointing to your file of music, and specifying your portable. I set mine to convert from the FLAC files to the m4a lossless (container for ALAC) Then I could drag and drop files from my file list into my iPod (has to have most current updated firmware to handle the m4a). The Sveta program unlimbers the FLAC file and then encodes it into m4a onto the iPod hard disk. (Process called "transcoding") One could use the same process to transcode from FLAC to aac or MP3 as it goes to your music player of choice. Sveta is a "for sale" program, and automates what you are doing I think. It is not as slick as iTunes for regular management of your music/playlists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back