Medeski, Martin & Wood - End Of The World Party (Just In Case)
Nov 18, 2006 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

stevesurf

Headphoneus Supremus
I really like this CD. The recording and production is good and supports the group's free-spirited style. Now, keep in mind that this is the last CD before John Scofield joins the group and hence, the name change to:

Medeski Scofield Martin & Wood

Less guitar/funk contribution and more spacious organ/sixties-like sound makes this CD most interesting. Many that have known this group from their roots may not care as much for this CD, but it opened them up to newer audiences that like electronic/funk/jazz. My favorite tracks:

End of the World Party (of course!)
Anonymous Skulls (both kind of mood-provoking tracks with a little funk)
Reflector (a nice jam session that's a little more driving and has a diverse second half)
Mami Gato (a wonderful jazz piano track)

Now go check out my "Out Louder" review.

Nov 18, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 6
I have the album on vinyl. I caught these guys at a fest a couple of years ago and it was a great set. They are playing a 3 fest in South Florida in March. What's with Scofield playing with them. I assume this a one tour deal. I saw Sco with Phil Lesh & Friends. I like Sco but he seemed out of place with the rest of the band.

Nov 18, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the album on vinyl. I caught these guys at a fest a couple of years ago and it was a great set. They are playing a 3 fest in South Florida in March. What's with Scofield playing with them. I assume this a one tour deal. I saw Sco with Phil Lesh & Friends. I like Sco but he seemed out of place with the rest of the band.

It's really interesting that you should say that, because on some tracks on the new CD, he's just too dominant; but the guitar/keyboard dueling on "What Now" and "Little Walter Rides Again" seems to really make up for it. But then you listen to "Miles Behind" and its seems like MMW are John's backup band!

Nov 18, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's really interesting that you should say that, because on some tracks on the new CD, he's just too dominant; but the guitar/keyboard dueling on "What Now" and "Little Walter Rides Again" seems to really make up for it. But then you listen to "Miles Behind" and its seems like MMW are John's backup band!

That was definitely not what happened with Phil. He had his moments but they had an excellent guitar player that was more at home with the Dead's material which was 90% of the show. I can see him more at home with MMW.

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bump! I just discovered this band. I luv these guys!

Yeah they're very good. I only have one album: The Dropper. I go through periods where I've forget that I have it and its like rediscovering an old gem. I got into them after seeing them open for Morphine. Really good show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back