Medúlla - Björk's New Album Comes Out This Month!
Aug 4, 2004 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

LobsterSan

MOT: kuboTEN
So who else is excited for this album? At 3 years since the release of Vespertine, it's the longest we've had to wait between her major album releases, as her others (Selmasongs notwithstanding) have been spaced 2 years apart. I usually hate getting hyped about things because I'm generally always let down, but I can't help but feel excited when a new Björk album is on the horizon. She's never disappointed in the past, so I have no reason to believe she won't deliver the goods this time around as well.

The release date is August 30th internationally and in Europe, and the US release date is August 31st. You can find a track list and more info here.

[size=xx-small]* Edited 3 times due to my declining command of the English language *[/size]

Aug 4, 2004 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 36
This album will be incredibly unique, that's for sure. A few places have reported that it will be ALL VOCAL, with guest appearances by Mike Patton, someone from the Roots whose name I can't recall, and a Japanese beatboxer named Dokaka (who I assume will be providing all the "drums"), among others. As much as I love Bjork (Homogenic and Vespertine are a couple of my favorite albums), a part of me says that this could be a recipe for disaster. But if Bjork has one thing going for her besides her killer voice, it's her excellent taste for collaborators.

Either way, I'll be getting it at midnight the day it comes out.

Aug 28, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 36
Well, the album has been leaked a bit ahead of the scheduled release. I was fairly certain this would happen as One Little Indian (Bjork's label) sent a special promotion to Bjork newsletter members to obtain the CD as of the middle of August.

I couldn't wait for it to ship to Japan, so of course I had to get a taste of it. I was wondering if anyone else has had a chance to check out some tracks? It's quite a different style, and the reports of it being all vocal are just about true. There's some piano in some tracks, and on a few I'm not entirely sure if they are electronic-generated beats or if they are derived from someone's vocal cords.

Some of the tracks are truly terrifying. I was listening to the album late last night in bed and some of the vocal techniques employed gave me shivers of terror. It's the kind of stuff I'd expect in a Doom-type game (the track entitled "Ancestors", for example). The beatboxers and vocalists used in this album are nothing short of spectacular though.

While it's a definite change of pace, I think it's a good one. In a time oversaturated with electronics, Bjork decided to go a different and unique route and release a coherent album derived from a rather difficult to implement concept. It has a definite Vespertine-feel to it, and when I listen to it being all-vocal, I also sense a tinge of Selmasongs in it's production.

I'll definiitely be picking this up on the 30th when it is released here in Japan. I'm also interested in the batch of remixes that will come from her other collaborators.

Favorite tracks at the moment: Pleasure is All Mine, Vokuro, Who Is It, Mouth's Cradle, and Triumph of the Heart.

[size=xx-small]Bolded entries are particularly enjoyable.[/size]

Aug 28, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 36
WHOOHOO!

I can't wait! IMO each new album of hers is better than the last. Will I be dissappointed this time around?

Aug 28, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 36
I think it's kind of a step back....Matmos was IMO the best thing that ever happened to her :p none of the tracks on this album stand out at all to me. her lyrics have usually carried so much weight and emotion, and the lyrics here sound like disconnected thought.

Aug 28, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guild
WHOOHOO!

I can't wait! IMO each new album of hers is better than the last. Will I be dissappointed this time around?

I think some may be disappointed initially, especially since there usually is a lot of hype built up around Bjork releases (at least for me there is). But this album may find it's way into that other thread that's been floating around. The thread entitled Albums you hated at first, but love now.

For me, upon first listen, I was a bit dispirited. But I believe it was due to the hype and unrealistic expectations that I have for every Bjork release. On my fourth listen now, I've grown accustomed to what the album is and I can now appreciate it without the constant barrage of critique and criticism streaming through my mind which usually accompanies my first listen of any highly touted album.

Aug 30, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 36
im excited, but i dont wan to listen to the cd before i buy it. just a question to those who have heard it, whats the overall feel of the cd, is it relaxed or agressive? since i have been listening to only relaxed music for the past few weeks, i was just wondering if its going to be a change or now.

Aug 30, 2004 at 10:43 AM Post #11 of 36
Well, the SACD should touch down soon, had this preordered for a while.. can't wait
600smile.gif

Aug 30, 2004 at 11:13 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by evanft
Here's a stream of one full song and bits of all the others:

http://music.ign.com/articles/539/539269p1.html

I've just listened to the stream.
Wow.
I've read 2 reviews and what I expected was something totally unlistenable, but this is the best minimal music I've heard for a long time.

Aug 30, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by einolu
im excited, but i dont wan to listen to the cd before i buy it. just a question to those who have heard it, whats the overall feel of the cd, is it relaxed or agressive? since i have been listening to only relaxed music for the past few weeks, i was just wondering if its going to be a change or now.

Quite relaxed except for a few tracks.

I think I've listened through it twice now and I can't say I remember much.
biggrin.gif
This album definitely requires multiple listens to grasp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back