Measure THD on my power amp, what intrument?
Feb 13, 2011 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

vlb

New Head-Fier
Hi

I have an Audio research D250, its a wonderfull amp even though it eats a fortune of tubes and produce to much heat to be used in the summer.
I have changed all the tubes and have done all the adjustments except "Ac balance" and now I need your help.

The manual says I should measure  thd or thd+noise when driving a 16ohm load with 10W @1khz and then adjust it for >0.005% THD or 0.02% THD+Noise.

I have 4x 4ohm 5W resistors to get the 16ohm load, and I can generate a 1khz signal with my dac, But what kind of intrument do I need to measurre thd or thd+N?

Thanks

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #4 of 5
The most inexpensive (and quite effective) way to do this is to use a good pro-grade computer sound card and RMAA software.  The key is your choice of sound card -- it needs to have lower noise and distortion than the amp you're trying to measure, or you'd just be measuring the sound card itself.

Feb 14, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks!
Ive tried using the soundcard (xf-fi) but it doesent go as low as >0.005% THD at least not with the software I tried. But ill try the software you suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back