Meantime ChuMoy
Feb 24, 2005 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Apocalypse_HD650

Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a Gilmore Lite (or maybe Rega Ear) soon. However in the mean time my HD650's are dying without an amp! Do you reckon I should pick up a cheap Cmoy for now? I was looking at these: http://www.evilfire.com/plain/. Are these good CMoys or can I get better? Exactly what different products are available in the range of the cheapest CMoys, or are they pretty all generic?

Thanks

Feb 24, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 14
when are you planning to get the main amp? the cmoy will make the HD650 sound better than they are now, but i dont see the point in wasting the money if you're going to get the amp soon.

Feb 24, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 14
Maybe a month-I was sort of thinking why waste the money-but to be honest I'd probably use the CMoy later on as a geniuine portable with my ipod etc. Since the Rega and Gilmore are AC powered. Plus obviously the CMoy would help for now.

By the way I notice you have the same Zu mobius HD650 with Gilmore Lite+DPSU combination I intend to get. Does the DPSU make a difference for you? How small is the power supply?

Thanks fr4c

Feb 24, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 14
then you might as well spend a little more now so you wont have to upgrade in the future for your portable rig. the Super Mini Moy is a nice little portable amp, and should also drive your HD650s a lot better.

Feb 24, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypse_HD650
By the way I notice you have the same Zu mobius HD650 with Gilmore Lite+DPSU combination I intend to get. Does the DPSU make a difference for you? How small is the power supply?

Thanks fr4c

the separate PSU is roughly the same size as the Gilmore Lite. i find with the upgraded power supply the sound to be a little cleaner and full, and filters out some background noise. i would recommend to get the amp and source complete first, and then focus on the power supply. with the Elpac AC adapter that they offer, coupling that with a simple "filtering" powerstrip like the ones from Monster Cable should do you just fine.

Feb 24, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocalypse_HD650
I guess your right-but I can't be bothered to do the whole international shipping thing-you see I'm in the UK. Plus I've heard poor reports of Shellbrook service and delivery times.

Are these http://www.evilfire.com/plain/ good since I can easily get them in the UK.

ahh i see. then yes, the evilfire cmoy should be fine.

Feb 25, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

ahh i see. then yes, the evilfire cmoy should be fine

evilfire cmoys don't use sockets so you can't change the opamp. Also it only uses 1 9V battery so you will feel it rattling around the can, something you may grow to find more than annoying. Maybe he can customize.

Feb 25, 2005 at 11:29 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
evilfire cmoys don't use sockets so you can't change the opamp. Also it only uses 1 9V battery so you will feel it rattling around the can, something you may grow to find more than annoying. Maybe he can customize.

Unless... you plan on desoldering the opamp yourself
blink.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx

You can put in a bit of foam padding to stop the rattling yourself. And not everyone wants to do opamp rolling.

I think that Cmoy is probably OK. Seen some nice comments about them here. The buy it now price is OK too considering you don't get additional international shipping.

I'd say why not, you can always sell it later on.

Feb 25, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

You can put in a bit of foam padding to stop the rattling yourself.

I was pointing to Cmoys with 2 batteries instead of one so it won't rattle. Yes you can put foam yourself, but if you're paying to have someone built the cmoy, you might as well let him do the foam work as well.

Quote:

And not everyone wants to do opamp rolling.

They don't have to. But a simple socket will give you that opportunity, whether you take it or not. I don't see why anyone would say, "this is the opamp for me" without having heard the others.

If you're not that picky about how things sound, enough to say, "this is ok for me, I won't need to roll opamps" then why bother getting a cmoy at all (or a $300 headphone for that matter). Just get a low impedance headphone and save the trouble and money.

Feb 25, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #13 of 14
If you are getting the main amp in only a month, I would wait. Save the cash, leave the HD650 burning in for a month on the radio or something, enjoy your other cans for a while, and save the pennies. Then rock out with a monster amp/souce combo upgrade. A little pain now saves incremental diminishing returns later.

Feb 25, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #14 of 14
I have an evilfire cmoy in a plain tin.

I have a power socket on the rear, and I have a small piece of blue tac under my 9v to stop it rattling round.

I love it to bits, and Michalis is a really nice guy - He knows about customer service!

£30 isn't a lot for the sound it gives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back