meaning and pronunciation of Etymotic
Jun 27, 2002 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mulciber

Head-Fier
Since there's a line over the "o", I must assume the proper pronunciation is "eh-ti-moe-tic", no? Also, can anyone fill me in on the meaning. I think I once came across it, but couldn't find any reference on the site.

I'm sure I'm asking in the right place.

Thanks in advance!

DGI

Jun 27, 2002 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by mulciber
Since there's a line over the "o",

There is?
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 27, 2002 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 7
That is a Latin letter O with a 'macron' (whatever one of those is)
confused.gif
confused.gif

So... something Latin maybe?!

Hmph, even though I have the character on my 'Charmap', I guess that V-Bulletin doesn't support it
frown.gif

Jun 27, 2002 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 7
From the Etymotic website...

Quote:

Etymotic Research is a research and development company located in Elk Grove Village, Illinois near Chicago’s O’Hare airport. The name "etymotic" means "true to the ear" and is pronounced "et-im-oh-tik." Established in 1983, ER’s mission is to design products to measure, improve and protect hearing.

So... now you know
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2002 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks Duncan. I feel like a dimwit now.

I actually did go over the Etymotic site, but I immediately clicked on "About ER" which actually talks about Mr. Killion.

"Etymology" is derived from the Greek for "true sense of a word"
("etumon"). But the "-otic", which is also from Greek, usually just means "characterized by". So it sort of comes out as "characterized by a true sense", which seems appropriate. Maybe it's Killion's own coinage.

Anyway, thanks again. DGI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back