ME IS NOOB!
Nov 26, 2012 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AnthonyMcEwen

Head-Fier
OK sorry for the really dumb post but what is burning, how dose it help and how do you do it...is it like breaking in a new engine as you would for a toy Nitro car but for the speaker drivers? God this must sound dumb haha.

I know an amp boost volume and makes quality better and can be used and an equaliser but have only sending big full size amp...do these small ones do the same thing and what are the difference between all the different types, like portable and desktop. Do you need amps for some headphones or is it just a recommended to make them sound better on high end phones.

What is DAC and do I need one to run headphones or only a amp to drive them?

Sorry about such a nooby post guys but am new to all this and my only experience with HIFI is a set of Sony MDR XD 200 and until lately I assumed they were the don and sounded pretty dam good and never could understand why people pay so much for these high end headphones.... Until my mates dad saw me with these and gave me a look of pure distaste and made me try one of his expensive headsets, I can't rember what they were but they were way over what I'd consider spending on headphones... So I now have the bug and want something better but as I have researched into some upgrades....and then realized I don't know nothing about audio hahaha....so really need some help haha thanks

Also can u guys have a look at this for me.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/637983/need-a-upgrade-help-me-get-some-nice-proper-headphones

And give me some advice there.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 3
OK sorry for the really dumb post but what is burning, how dose it help and how do you do it...is it like breaking in a new engine as you would for a toy Nitro car but for the speaker drivers? God this must sound dumb haha.

"burn in" is basically as you're conceptualizing it - the same idea as run-in on an engine. It will happen naturally as you listen to music, or you can feed pink-noise into the speakers for a while. There are varying theories on how important, relevant, etc burn-in is. My advice would be not to worry about it so much, but if you notice improvements over time - great!

I know an amp boost volume and makes quality better and can be used and an equaliser but have only sending big full size amp...do these small ones do the same thing and what are the difference between all the different types, like portable and desktop. Do you need amps for some headphones or is it just a recommended to make them sound better on high end phones.

Desktop amp will draw mains power, portable amp will have a battery (either it'll eat batteries, recharge, some can also run on mains power, etc). Desktop is usually more power output and so on (because it has mains power). Sensitivity, impedance, so on dictate drivability.

I'll grab the rest when I have another free minute (just got called away from my desk).

Okay on the DAC -

- A DAC is a digital to analog converter, it converts digital signals to analog signals (you need analog signals to feed an amplifier). If you're coming from a computer, CD player, etc you probably need such a device, but your source device likely has one built-in already. It may or may not be suitable to your needs.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks man thats cleared it up a bit, so far Im looking at unamped phones anyways so should not be too bad, as for bec I think most things im playing it off wil have one by what I have been reading else were and as Im not after super HIFI then an aextra more powerful bec wont be needed just yet I think but thanks for informing me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back