"Me Brain Hurts" ~ Looking for an Amp
Jan 2, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anemone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or you could use your ipods...which allows lineout

True. I thought about using my iPods for personal listening but I'd rather use the Zune. The 160GB Classic has my entire CD library on it and I keep it perma-docked with the home stereo. I don't want to take it with me or travel with it in case it gets lost or stolen. The 20GB iPod has got the old monochrome screen (boring in tody's DAP world) and I usually have that docked in it's Altec Lansing boom box. I've got a Shuffle as well but, hey, it's a Shuffle.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Zune does have better audio as well. So I'll either wait for a cable to be made or consider another 'anythingbutipod' player such as Cowon since I've read so many good things about them here.

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #17 of 20
Cowon's are without a doubt respected around here. With regard to not using an AMP unless you have a LOD seems a little flawed however. Cowon's do not have a LOD, and would be used with a mini to mini cable in conjunction with an amplifer, in that respect using a cowon would be no different to a zune, in terms of sound quality. Obviously an amp, gives phones more juice and a certain sound colouring that many like however. I would just enjoy your zune stock for a while.

On a side note: being a pico owner i must say its a fantastic little amp+dac, and if you went for that or the Mustang you wouldn't be disappointed.

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #18 of 20
Thanks, noremedy, for the info on the Cowon. I obviously had no idea about the lack of a lineout on the Cowon as well.

So I will take your and Ray's advice and stick with the Zune/SE530 as is for now.

Cheers!

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, noremedy, for the info on the Cowon. I obviously had no idea about the lack of a lineout on the Cowon as well.

So I will take your and Ray's advice and stick with the Zune/SE530 as is for now.

Cheers!

I thought the Cowon iAudio X5 had a LOD port?
Qables | High Quality Custom Made Qables

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rec'd an email today from RSA in response to some queries I had about the Mustang. Basically Ray said if my DAP does not have a lineout then don't bother with an amp.

If you discussed IEM's with Ray as you had asked about earlier in this thread...then Ray's probably right. However, if you are thinking of trying a demanding headphone...than amping the HP-out does help. I did it for a year with an iAudio X5 and was very happy with the results.

To billybob....the X5 does have a lineout port...but IMO you're better off using the the HP-out as the lineout never sounded right to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back