Me and my new AKG 701's
Nov 20, 2008 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TheBigHead

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, long time reader first time thread starter
biggrin.gif

Anyway after a long internal debate i purchased my first high-end set of cans, 701's . Right away just from the packaging i knew these were something special.

This is a sort of breaking point for me, I have been a long time audiophile and my living situation has always afforded me the ability to enjoy my rig to its potential whenever i had the urge. Times change. So now i have a set of 701's with a starving student on order from whiplash audio. Although i havent received the amp yet i would love to share with you my initial impressions.

Using my computer as the source playing apple lossless files through a Yamaha RX-V670 receiver i am already very impressed, the sound is very neutral not imposing in any abnormal way, pleasantly clean. There is a lack of bass impact could be due to a combination of amp and a lack of break-in though, we will see.

I am finding them very comfortable, wish is a big thing for me my last cans were very uncomfortable even after short listening sessions, too hard of a headband and the pads sat directly on your ears and pushed them in causing discomfort and sometimes pain after long periods. The 701's sit around my ears and dont stress my big lobes much at all if any.

I am very pleased so far with these phones and hope they get better as people have said.

Id also like to say thanks to everyone who puts in a lot of effort and time into these forums. Someone like myself who might not post much but reads and learns a lot from them is very appreciative. Thanks!

Cya later, maybe hangin around the DIY section
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 14
Glad we have another 701 enthusiast. These phones are remarkable in the burn in department. They will improve for about 300 hours of play, so look forward to it. Expect a large difference with your amp, should be a night and day deal, tubes + k701 = eargasm. Keep em playing till your Millett SS arrives and post up your impressions.

Enjoy them!
Dave

Nov 20, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 14
Hot secks!

I was planning on running them day and night for burn in, how loud should i run them during burn in, quiet - normal enjoyment - omg this is a good track - man my ears hurt ?

Nov 20, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hot secks!

I was planning on running them day and night for burn in, how loud should i run them during burn in, quiet - normal enjoyment - omg this is a good track - man my ears hurt ?

I think you should put some music on, put them on your head and enjoy them
k701smile.gif
. You'll notice the sound open up and the highs soften as they are used.

If you want to burn them in unattended, I suggest you set the volume at or slightly above listening level. I think it is also good to let the cans rest for half an hour every six hours or so. This site has some useful info and burn-in tones.

Nov 21, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 14
Welcome to the club. You're gonna luv them K701s - especially after burn in and using a decent amp. They are by far the most neutral headphone I'v ever heard. Let us know how it goes.

Nov 21, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hot secks!

As said above run them between normal enjoyment and omg this is a good track. Be sure to enjoy them whilst they burn in, but while you sleep let em play, give em a break when you wake up in the morning and turn em back on about 30mins to an hour later.

Dave

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 14
Well after a days worth of burn in idk if much has changed.

And damn they have an open and spacious sound to them, just rocking some live Alice In Chains : MTV Unplugged, i love the acoustic guitar sound they get in this concert.

The anticipation of my amp showing up is killing me though :\

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #8 of 14
I put together the same setup last week and am really liking it. AKG K 701 and a starving student amp from Whiplash audio. Whiplash audio is based in upstate NY so that might give you an idea how long shipping will take. Ive been running these headphones for at least 24 hours and there is some notable improvement.

Maybe you will have this question too, so Ill ask it here. Should I have the high gain switch turned on with my K 701s?

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #9 of 14
Congrats on getting the K701s. They're next on my to-buy list
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smeed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you will have this question too, so Ill ask it here. Should I have the high gain switch turned on with my K 701s?

In my opinion, you should switch it on and see if you like that sound better, or switch it to low and see if you like that better. Leave it with the one that sounds better to you, because not everyone has the same tastes. Also if the gain is too high you may not be able to find a comfortable listening level.

Don't forget tube burn in time as well as 701 burn in time!

OP, you hopefully will have an eargasm the first time.

Dave

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion, you should switch it on and see if you like that sound better, or switch it to low and see if you like that better. Leave it with the one that sounds better to you, because not everyone has the same tastes. Also if the gain is too high you may not be able to find a comfortable listening level.

Don't forget tube burn in time as well as 701 burn in time!

Thanks! Forgot about the tube burn in. This can only get better!

OP: I guess the bass comes with the burn in. There is definitely more now than there was when I first put them on but there is a ways to go.

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Should I have the high gain switch turned on with my K 701s?

Use whichever setting works best volume-wise. Remember for good channel matching you want the line on the volume knob at or past 9 o'clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back