me and my hd590's
Jan 10, 2003 at 1:43 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
For some peope it's not an option to listen to the headphones before buying. I bought both my Audio-Technica W1000s and Sony CD3000 before I ever heard them. Reason: the W1000 was not released yet and I took a chance on buying them before anyone else had ever heard them. Did it work? Yes, in every way but comfort. Sony CD3000s: only available in Japan and very few people have them here in the US. How do these sound? Like the last set of headphones I'll buy until they release a CD4000 or something like it.

The funny thing is... how many people order blindly, receive it, hardly have any opportunity to compare it to anything else and then proclaim it to be the best one of all time. Go go Team HD590 and Team CD3000. Everything is great until you hear something better.

Jan 10, 2003 at 1:51 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
The funny thing is... how many people order blindly, receive it, hardly have any opportunity to compare it to anything else and then proclaim it to be the best one of all time. Go go Team HD590 and Team CD3000. Everything is great until you hear something better.

On the other hand there are those that order the HD580/600's blindly and if they don't proclaim them the best thing since sliced bread they get crapped on so either way you can't win. Go Team Whatever Sounds The Best To You!
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2003 at 2:07 PM Post #33 of 42
Join Team "Whatever works for YOU"

Jan 10, 2003 at 3:02 PM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
On the other hand there are those that order the HD580/600's blindly and if they don't proclaim them the best thing since sliced bread they get crapped on so either way you can't win. Go Team Whatever Sounds The Best To You!
wink.gif

Hehe, I got my 580s semi-blindly
smily_headphones1.gif
heard the 590s, loved them but the newegg price on the 580s was unbeatable...currently if I revealed my whole ... uhhhh ... equipment/source/"amp"/etc ... some of you would be ROFLing and LOLin' all over the place...I only know I can go better from here...

about the 590s...I heard them at Tweeter with my mp3 player...I had TONs of annoying noise all around me, subwoofers being tested to my left, TVs to the right, more speakers in front and some in the back too
biggrin.gif
yet, as soon as I turned up the volume the 590s sent me in my own little world where bass sounded better than my home subwoofer (only difference being I didn't feel it in my chest but oh well...) and I gotta say I loved the 590s at the time...but they were 200 bucks...the newegg 580s were 125 and if that rebate happens to work by any crazy chance...It'd be like I paid 105 bucks (without shipping) for the amazing 580s...it's true if I had the 590s I wouldn't be looking into META42s right now but oh well...

Also, what elnero says is only true for some...there's always exceptions...like I know if I had the extra money I'd go with HD600s, thus my 580s aren't the "best thing ever" but I'm also aware of headphones that go beyond 500 bucks and I just know I won't be spending money on these...yet
very_evil_smiley.gif
some of them may (and probably are) way more amazing but I can't tell...

Right now I got a great (not THE BEST, but great nontheless) pair of open-air headphones...next thing on my headphone list are the Beyer 770s just because bass in a place where tremble and mids exist (read: not Sony DJ series) seems to be something I'd love.

Alrighty, sorry that got a bit longer than I planned it to get but in short yeah...a ton of the headphones on here are really amazing and it's all up to taste...remember there will always be a better more expensive set of cans you can't afford (unless you sold your car/house or happen to be Bill Gates
biggrin.gif
)

Nick over and out.

Jan 10, 2003 at 4:06 PM Post #35 of 42
So what are we up to now? 4 girls?
smily_headphones1.gif
And it seems that chicks dig the 590s. Hmmm, maybe I'll update my sig when I get mine..
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2003 at 4:43 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
wink.gif

I'm a card-carrying member of Team Whatever Sounds Best To You. I've been fighting an internal struggle with my co-members that we should be a little choosier about who we let in and that we establish some prerequisites like listening to more than one thing.

Jan 10, 2003 at 4:47 PM Post #37 of 42
I've had my 590s for a month and a half now, and I love 'em. I did a LOT of research before getting them. I would've gotten the 570's if I wasn't able to get the 590s so cheap ($190 US). I just saw the 590s in a major department store today retailing for $300 US! (I'm in Australia)

I got a chance to have a quick listen to the 600s - and I did notice the bass was more refined. But for the difference in sound and the annoyance of a cable coming out of each speaker, they CERTAINLY weren't worth the extra money.

Break-In:

When you first get the 590s, they are a bit sibilant and high frequencies can be piercing. I let the 590s go overnight (12am - 10am-ish), 3 nights in a row playing loud, sibilant music (some recordings I had that had too much treble, and were exactly the high frequencies that I'm talking about). After the 3 nights, and then just listening to the headphones for the next week, all of a sudden that extreme brightness was gone. For me, it didn't seem to gradually go away, it just left.

Now my headphones sound even better. The 590s are awesome!

Prizm

Jan 10, 2003 at 11:08 PM Post #38 of 42
Prism,

Indeed, the 590s are great cans! Calling such top-of-range Sennheiser cans "trash" defies all common sense. Although not as smooth, they are about as detailed as the HD580/600, which means they are quite close to electrostatics. Quite a bargain at 190 bucks.

There are plenty of great cans out there other than the HD580/600. There's nothing wrong with owning either the HD 580 or the HD 600. They're both excellent cans. But owning the HD580/600s while bashing all other cans as pure trash, even cans as similar to the 580/600s as the HD 590s actually are, comes across as religious intolerance to me.

I'm glad your HD 590s sound better than ever! Enjoy your new toy!
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Alex Altorfer
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2003 at 11:48 PM Post #39 of 42
I can get the HD590 for $130US, and that's including a 17.5% sales tax! (before the deluge of where from those Stateside-based, let me tell you that tracked shipping to the US is $50 at least) same place where kathy got it I think... Duncan and my favourite store in Tottenham Court Road
biggrin.gif

Is it going to be anywhere near a facsimile of the HD600? I did find the HD600's too amp-sensitive so a 'jackable' high-quality open phone which I can stick in anything might appeal to me. Oh no, here I go again with headphonoitis...

Jan 11, 2003 at 3:12 AM Post #40 of 42
Yeah, that's another reason why I didn't want the 600s - I didn't want to shell out more money for an amplifier, since the 600s need a lot of power. I use my 590s for PC work, and they sound great. I doubt the 600s would do so well coming out of a PC.

One other thing I noticed about the 600s were they did clamp rather hard. It wasn't uncomfortable at first, but it was noticable. They may loosen up with use.....if not, they may get a little uncomfortable.

Prizm

Jan 11, 2003 at 11:04 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Budgie

Glad you are enjoying your new phones, Kathy. I hope you will still hang around with us, at Head-Fi, and not disappear now that you made a choice. We really do enjoy having women in the forums.

yep i'll still be around budgie, enjoy reading the lively debates on here.

im surprised at the heat generated by comparisons between the hd590's and the 580/600's tho..with no disrespect to anyone here, some of it does seem to be more emotional than rational lol
eek.gif

i was undecided myself...but i had the benefit of listening to all three of them at my local dealer, on my own amp/cd combo. i spend a good couple of hours, trying a wide range of music, and i found the 590's to be the best of the three. is that an objective statement? no of course not...its impossible to do so with individual hearing.

but are the 590's a better sounding headphone than the 580/600 to me? yes noticeably so. if they hadnt have been i would have bought the 600s.

anyway, each to their own is all im saying
smily_headphones1.gif

kath

Jan 11, 2003 at 11:46 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by kathy
anyway, each to their own is all im saying
smily_headphones1.gif

Exactly
smily_headphones1.gif

As much as I can praise the HD600 with the Cardas cable, it is quite a large investment financially speaking... especially when you add an exotic amp into the mix...

Whereas, right now... I'm using my BeyerDynamic DT250-80s with an Etymotic cable adapter, and loving the sound...

Much moreso right now than my Sennheisers...

Doesn't mean i'm wrong...

Just means I know what sounds good to my ears
biggrin.gif

I'm glad you like the cans Kathy, and i'm glad I could help you with that link to Ask Direct
smily_headphones1.gif

Happy Listening!

Duncan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back