MDR7509pro vs k240 vs DT250-120 vs hd570
Jun 29, 2004 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

rxinside

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody....I'm was kinda going to buy some head-fi today, but it ended out that all the headphones I was looking for weren't available where I went...And that I' going to add some phones to my list...DAMN!lol

Ok, I've been to Sony, they've shown me the MDR7509 pro, which sound I really enjoyed...Then, at Quebecson, they made me listen Senn 570, that sounded ok...I was looking toward to listen AKG240S, that everybody in here recommended me and the Beyer Dynamics Dt250-120...I'm looking for a closed headphone that would be able to make it through my years at the university (
wink.gif
). Like I previously said it, I listen to almost everything, I'm considering a amp if necessary (something like a cmoy maybe) and I want the head-FI to sound rich and be somekind of forgiving toward my MP3
icon10.gif
!!!

Have a good day (or night?) everyone!

Jun 29, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 14
For closed phones, the following are highly recommended.

Sony CK3000 (They won't leak much but you can still hear everything around you pretty well. If you need isolation these aren't going to work very well).
ATH A900
ATH A500
Sennheiser HD280 Pro (while these represent an incredible value, becareful not to over stretch the headband as it will crack and break)
Beyerdynamic DT770
AKG K501 (I think this one is closed, the 240 is not)
Sony V6 or 7506 (do not get the Vxxx series such as V600)

Also, pick up some MX 400's and/or PX200's for uber portable listening. The MX400 (or MX500) will give you an ultra compact heaphone that works really well with a small mp3 player and will allow you to hear things around you without leaking sound out. The PX200 will give you a little isolation (enough to where if you're listening at higher volumes you won't be able to hear all but the loudest of vehicles) and won't leak. These are great to have and I'd highly recommend them for anyone who is or will be in college.

Jun 29, 2004 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 14
Just wondering.. are those recommendations made with copy&paste?
wink.gif
no offense meant

HOWEVER:

-K501s don't isolate well
-There's no 250-120
-Don't get Sony. Just don't.

-My personal closed can recommendation is the Ultrasone HFI-650 (or 700 if you're a basshead) available through meier-audio. They're versatile for any kind of music (and they do extremely well for rock), they're comfortable and don't essentially need an amp, though they do benefit from one.

-If the Ultrasone is too big for you, the PX200 would be a nice choice, but that one's strictly for commuting, the sound deficiencies become too apparent when there's no outside noise
wink.gif

-ATH-A500 or A900 seem popular here, although I still haven't heard them. Just beware, they're huge!

-Taurui

Jun 29, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 14
I don't think it matters if its copied and pasted, those are great recommendations and many members here agree.

Jun 29, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by EightyEight
I don't think it matters if its copied and pasted, those are great recommendations and many members here agree.

I said, no offense meant. I wasn't really serious, 't was just a quick thought that came to mind
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
AKG K501 (I think this one is closed, the 240 is not)

No it isn't, it's more like very open - whereas the K240S is semi-open.

rxinside: I'd recommend to check the Beyerdynamic DT250/250, if you're willing to invest in an amp (maybe something like a HeadSave Go-Vibe or one of the various MINTs...). For a closed phone for ampless use, the DT660 might also be worth a try...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jun 30, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 14
What's your opinion of the DT250-80?

eggosmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by lini

rxinside: I'd recommend to check the Beyerdynamic DT250/250, if you're willing to invest in an amp (maybe something like a HeadSave Go-Vibe or one of the various MINTs...). For a closed phone for ampless use, the DT660 might also be worth a try...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jun 30, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oops, my bad on the 501... for some reason I thought they were closed... Thanks Lini!

No that wasn't copied and pasted!!!
mad.gif
...jk
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Seriously though, what's wrong with Sony? I mean I agree with everyone else that the the Vxxx's suck a big one and their consumer electronics for the most part fall into this category as well, but their higher end products are actually very nice.

Jun 30, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #9 of 14
I used to own a pair of 7509's. I sold them in favour of a pair of Beyer DT770pro's. though the 770 sound is probably not for everyone. for a closed phone the DT250-250 that lini recommended is probably your best bet.

While the sony's were decent (yes I actually didn't mind the 7509 sound) they weren't particularly memorable either. And they are very forgiving of lower quality sources.

Jun 30, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
What's your opinion of the DT250-80?

eggosmile.gif

It sounds fairly enjoyable, though it's somewhat limited it bass extension and rather recessed in the highs. Midrange is a little more pronounced than on the DT250/250, though - and it's also a tad more efficient (however, I still wouldn't really recommend the DT250/80 for ampless portable use - the new 32 Ohm Beyerdynamics (DT440/660/880) seem to be better suited for that purpose...). I'd assume the DT250/80 would be a good phone for speech monitoring - but for music I'd definitely prefer the DT250/250.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 22, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #12 of 14
Headroom rates the DT-250-80 a better value than the 250-250, and they -sell- amps, so if anything you'd expect them to give the nod to the dt-250 250.

The dt-250 (either) will be far more comfy for long term listening than the 7509. Those earcups are sweatmachines.

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're going to do anything, DON'T get the HD570s.

Have a nice day
eggosmile.gif

+1

go for DT250

Users who are viewing this thread

Back