MDR-V6 v. MDR-V600 V. Beyers/Senns
Jan 7, 2002 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

Mike

New Head-Fier
I recently picked up MDR-V600s and I have to agree they're a pretty terrible set of cans, certainly worth nowhere near the $100 retail price. Overall, the sound is very lifeless and unmusical, with voices accompanied by a distinct hissing sound. The headset also isn't properly grounded so I get a nasty pop of static electricity to the ears sometimes. (BTW, I'm using a Denon AVR-2500 receiver, not exactly ultra hi-fi, but not a Walkman either.) My question is: should I simply look for V6s to replace the V600s or should I go with higher end Beyers or Senns? I know the V6s are more highly rated than the V600s, but after this experience, I'm skeptical of going with another set of Sonys. (I've seen some reviewers state that the V6s and V600s are basically the same set of headphones, despite the differing opinions of each.) I think I would be willing to go with a set of Beyer DT831s if these would work well with my receiver.

Jan 7, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 75
The V6's and V600's are totally different headphones. The V600's are a bloated pile of crap from what people have said. I own a pair of the 7506's which are just a more expensive version of the V6's, they sound very nice. Good, deep bass and rich highs, although some folks will tell you they lack midrange, but are great for the price of $69 at hogwildstore.com.

If you wanna splurge on a very good pair of cans you'll probably need a headphone amplifier to get the best out of them.

You should always research before buying any pair of expensive headphones. You never know what will turn out to be a gem or a log.

Check out headphone.com and meier-audio.com, best of luck.

George

Jan 7, 2002 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike
(I've seen some reviewers state that the V6s and V600s are basically the same set of headphones, despite the differing opinions of each.)

Absolute complete utter ********. The people who said that must've been almost completely deaf, on crack, or just stupid. The two headphones do not even COMPARE in sound quality, tottally different sounding phones.

Jan 8, 2002 at 12:11 AM Post #5 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by Xander

Absolute complete utter ********. The people who said that must've been almost completely deaf, on crack, or just stupid. The two headphones do not even COMPARE in sound quality, tottally different sounding phones.

ROFL!

George

Jan 8, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 75
If you might consider an open design, the Grado SR60 or SR80 are other fine choices for <$100 US. I have Sony V6's and the Grado SR80's. To my ear the Grado's offer greater clarity, tighter (though not deeper) bass, and a more open sounstage, but like any open cans leak sound into the room. The V6's (NOT equivalent to the much inferior V600's!) are closed (little sound leakage), efficient (do not require much power to drive), and offer good bass response. IMHO they do not offer the accuracy of the Grado's in mid's and treble, however. I listen to both regularly and prefer the Sony for rock, the Grado for jazz and classical. (BTW- I am also listening from a decent home receiver's headphone jack, but a headphone amp is on my wish list!).

Jon

Jan 8, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 75
Quote:

I have Sony V6's and the Grado SR80's. To my ear the Grado's offer greater clarity, tighter (though not deeper) bass, and a more open sounstage, but like any open cans leak sound into the room. The V6's (NOT equivalent to the much inferior V600's!) are closed (little sound leakage), efficient (do not require much power to drive), and offer good bass response. IMHO they do not offer the accuracy of the Grado's in mid's and treble, however.

Jon, I would say that the V6 have greater clarity, and more accurate midrange and treble; however, I agree with you that they Grados are often much more enjoyable to listen to. The Sonys can seem a bit dry and analytical.

Jan 8, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 75
.....And we have had at least one report of the open, new, Sennheiser HD497's ('bout the same price as a V6...) utterly blowing the SR-80's away in sound quality....

And another report of the Philips HP890's (bout the same price of a 7506) comparing favorably to Sennheiser HD600's....

*shrugs*

Jan 8, 2002 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
.....And we have had at least one report of the open, new, Sennheiser HD497's ('bout the same price as a V6...) utterly blowing the SR-80's away in sound quality...

I received a pair of HD497s from HeadRoom a few days ago, and while the sound is quite remarkable, these things hurt! They are tight...and I mean tight in the way the Koss KSC55s are! (and boy, are they uugggllyy). I can't imagine what the designers had in mind when they developed these things....
confused.gif

Jan 8, 2002 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 75
Give us a price range, and what equipment you have, and you can be helped a bit more.

Jan 8, 2002 at 5:45 AM Post #11 of 75
I own a 12-year-old set of MDR-V6's, and had listened to the MDR-V600's... All I can say is that the MDR-V600 sounds like poop...
frown.gif

Jan 8, 2002 at 6:05 AM Post #13 of 75
Quote:

Originally posted by tracylynn

what other :closed: headphone do u recommened?.... i think it was a beyerdynamic.... but i dont know the model # [is it the 250-80?]

btw, do beyerdynamic.. are closed rite? and are there foldable [like the v6]

I cant recommend any other closed cans since all the rest i own are open (damn...3 Grado's!). I dont think the Beyers are fold ups like the V6s which is great for on the go, god knows how many times that pouch has come in handy! Ya, a lot of folks here recommend the 250-80's, i really am curious to hear them myself as well as the 250ohm version. Maybe its time to hit B&H for a listening session (and drive the salespeople ape!).

George
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back