Mdr-v6 Upgrade: AKG k240s, k271?
Jan 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

pwange04

New Head-Fier
     Hello, I have a pair of sony mdr-v6s that I love, but I feel are too bright/harsh for me.  I enjoy a relatively flat, slightly warm sound.  I mainly listen to hip-hop, so bass is important, but balance is best. I did like a pair of Grados sr80is , because they were very 'fast' and impactful, but these were also bright, and outside sound was plentiful. My sr80s broke 2 years ago, so I purchased my v6s because of price/performance ratio. They have served me well, but I am looking to upgrade.

Currently I am unamped, and run from a laptop soundcard, or iPod Touch.  I will order a cmoy bb in the near future (hopefully)

My budget allows a price of around $150, but I will go up to $200 if it is worth it.

I like the isolation of a closed design, but open/semiopen are also very welcome for sound stage :D

Two most interesting headphones I have seen are the k240s and 271s.  They appear to have a balanced warm sound & are comfortable.  I also enjoy a coiled, detachable cable.  Other possible headphones: Shure 840, ATH50s?, Ultrasone HFI-580, krk 8400, Grado?

Any other suggestions very welcome.
Thanks ahead of time. :)

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 16
Hi I will respond to your question, but I am afraid I will not be too much help for you.

I own the akg k271,
what I enjoy: the clarity of the vocals, removable cable, 2 sets of earpads (velors feel nice and comfortable), have large round cups (fit my huge ears), feel relatively durable, isolate pretty well.

what I don't enjoy: are huge haha do not look stylish at all (if you care about that at all), bass impact is good but not very heavy and it must be amped to bring it out, to follow that really outta be amped to bring out its fuller sound.

Overall I do like the headphone, but I dont know if it would satisfy a large amount of hip hop. I feel bass quantity is one of the more subjective elements of sound to people.  

I dont want to comment a lot about another headphone because I have not directly listened to them, but fwir the ultrasone 580 has strong bass, the akg k240 may provide a stronger bottom end being semiopen, or maybe beyerdynamic dt770/880. Like I said please read people's advice that have hands on experiences with some of these other headphones. I would recommend that whatever headphone that you end up calling your own will benefit from amplification.

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 16
Thank you very much!!  
I see your profile pic is a plastic grado model :D. Are they yours? How would you compare the AKGs to them?

Those 580s seem like a great deal, with rave reviews about the bass.  I had not really thought about them before. I'm still considering the AKGs, but if the bass isnt strong...   I see that your profile I think the beyerdynamic is too expensive, and not really what I am looking for, but thank you.

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 16
The only AKG I've heard are the K272 (which i think are pretty much K271) I would not recommend them based on what you're looking for either. First they definitely need amplification they sound a little lifeless without it and volume is low (have to listen on 100% volume on my iphone 4 and still sounds a little low). I am not a basshead at all and even I feel bass(quantity not quality) is slightly below average and less than the V6. The other end of the spectrum is very good though and detail is good also. But they are also on the brighter end, more so the V6 as well. They isolate pretty well and are very comfortable and lightweight even though they are massive. M50s are not much of an upgrade from the V6 to me. I think from your own list I would go 840 for more flatness as 580 are more colored. Dt770/Dt880/Dt990 PRO versions are also close to your price range.

(note I have only read about the 840 and 580 but both get a lot of love around here; id go 580 just cause Im a ultrasone fanboy 
biggrin.gif
 and they are selling for as cheap as they will ever be right now on amazon) 

HFI580 http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-580-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101UHS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327194435&sr=8-1

These are usu like $40 cheaper but it seems all headphones are running more expensive than normal right now just wait a few weeks. 
http://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic-DT770-PRO-250-ohm/dp/B0006NL5SM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327194034&sr=8-1

These are normal price but are fully open headphones
 http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Open-Studio-Headphones-Ohms/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327194735&sr=8-3

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks Alv! I'm liking those 580s right now.  What do you mean by colored? Bright, Warm, Bassy, etc.?  AKG's are crossed off the list, I suppose.  The way people describe 580 bass is seductive :D.  Do you own the 580s?  If so, do you find them comfortable?

840s might be right.

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 16
I don't own the 580 but I have had two other ultrasones the PRO900 and PRO750. By colored I mean that they are NOT the most accurate, sounds just like the sound engineer wants you to hear it/boring sounding headphones. The SRH840 are meant to be a monitor headphone so it has to be flatter/less colored and neutral whereas the HFI580 are just about fun and enjoyment and from what Ive read have the typical ultrasone v-shaped sound. I think for hip-hop/rap ultrasones are the way to go. As for comfort Ive heard people complain about the SRH840's weight and the issue of hot ears affects both cause of the leatherette pads. The most comfortable cans Ive had are beyers which I think you might want to take a closer look at. 

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #7 of 16
I looked at your profile, and see you like old-school rap.  Thats actually my favorite genre, with some relaxed recent rap as well.  How do you feel about the Ultrasones with this? How do you think the mids/highs compete with others such as your m50s, or AKGs
Thanks again! Those 580s do look good, but I dont know about the extreme v shaped sound. I feel it may block out some lyrics(the most important part for me.).  This graph of a 550(similar) is a little scary.  Should I make the jump?
=1723&graphID[]=2361&graphID[]=2611&graphID[]=913]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1723&graphID[]=2361&graphID[]=2611&graphID[]=913

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #11 of 16
Hey yeah I have the grado sr60i, seeing you had the sr80 you know the sound sig. I definitely like to have them around, because the sound real great with my rock collection.

I saw you went for the ultrasone 580, and I think it's a good choice for you and the price is very good right now. If you get a chance post your impressions, it's been a hp I've been looking into.

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 16
After listening to them for a few weeks, I am pleased to say that I enjoy my 580s very much.  They are without a doubt a very colored, fun headphone.  I was worried about the mids being covered by the bass, but have not found that to be the case.  I believe that this is in part because of S-logic technology.  I didn't hear surround sound, but very good stereo with wonderful instrument separation Bass is very punchy, impactful, and deep.  Mids are clear, while not completely natural(say as sr80). I like a warm sound, and these are too bright in the highs for me. In the recording of Otis Redding's Satisfaction, I found the horns to be shrill and too high. The song was still enjoyable. I will definitely keep my v6s around for best accuracy, but these will be my main HP. Helped me discover good electronic music.  Comfortable for me.

Summary: A colored, while still clear, headphone.  Bright. Wonderful bass and clear mids. Great instrument separation. I am pleased.

Notes: "Satisfaction" was ripped as FLAC. No HP amp used. Onboard DAC. 

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #14 of 16
Awesome, thanks for the impressions on the 580. Most important is that you are enjoying them. I have read that the highs can be very bright. I do not mind bright sound, I'll have to consider these as a bassy fun fullsized headphone as they seem great at that. I do like that they seem pretty easy to drive. Might look at them for movies and electronic and rap music. I think you got them at good price too, they're about $180 on amazon right now.

Hope you continue to enjoy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back